Mountain - Prairie For events in Colorado, Kansas, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, South Dakota, Utah and Wyoming.

any CO CL'ers done control arms bushings on an '07 to '10 LS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-15, 07:47 AM
Spartan8
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default any CO CL'ers done control arms bushings on an '07 to '10 LS?

I'm looking for any guidance on replacing just the bushings in my 2010 LS AWD with air suspension. Bought the car at a good price knowing this front end work would be a project. My preference is to do all of the front control arm bushings only, where the problem is, and re-use the existing arms. Assuming the control arms are in decent shape.

The Lexus dealer I had look at it suggested that I only needed the uppers taken care of but the way I figure it, I might as well replace all of them (both uppers and lowers) while my LS is on the operating table.

I've read a lot of posts about buying bushings off of Ebay, another post mentioned Armstrong bushings... Has anyone undertaken this project some time ago and what are the long term results? I'm hoping to get some feedback on the type of bushings used (rubber or poly or other), how much it improved the ride, cost, noise level, where did you get the bushings etc. Also, if you didn't use a Lexus dealership for the work, what price did you pay? Any LS owners here in Colorado go through this exercise? If so I'd really love to hear from you.

I will definitely update my thread here with post-replacement comments and specifically what bushings I used, the ride, noise level, changes over time etc. I'm trying to determine the best way to do this such that I do it as infrequently as possible. It seems to me that using rubber bushings is a waste of time. That's what the car came with and they wear out too quickly. Same reason not to put in genuine Lexus control arms with bushings. Same part, same problem.

I gather the issue is a poor control arm (especially the uppers) design that creates excessive wear on the bushings. And with our crap Colorado roads due to the weather, I think it will exaggerate the problem. So if I need to pony up for a more expensive brand, or poly bushing or something else, I'm all ears. But if my trade off is a "never wear out product" that squeals like a Yugo, then I'm back to the drawing board. My hope is the extra research here will get me an extra 10k - 30k miles before I have to do this again?

Thanks for any insights and experiences.
Old 11-27-15, 06:01 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a colorado company that sells replacement bushings that are made of a better quality rubber. I have searched but can't seem to find them. They have posted in the control arm topics under LS. I just can't seem to find anything. I beleive it starts with the letter F. I have a 2011. Sure would like to meet up with you sometime. I don't know my LS owners
Old 11-27-15, 10:27 PM
Spartan8
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Unsober1, thanks for the prompt reply. And thanks for the later message pointing out the shop here in the Denver area - Figs Engineering - that sells performance Lexus parts. I'm in communications with them right now. The only issue is they only make replacement bushings for the front upper controls arms, not the lowers. But they look like a perfect product with a superior design. I'm buying them at a minimum.

They said they don't get much call for the lowers but they way I look at it, while my mechanic is in there, might as well replace them all. Figs is very responsive and even offered to quote a price if I can measure the lower bushings. I'll update this post as my conversations with them progress. They've even talked about offering complete control arms with bushings included. Stay tuned for more news.

And yes, I'd welcome a meet up. I'm in the south part of town, near 25 & Arapahoe. It would be nice to grow the LS base here as it looks like its got an abundance of SC folks and others. I'll PM you for more details.

Thanks.