Mountain - Prairie For events in Colorado, Kansas, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, South Dakota, Utah and Wyoming.

Colorado Lexus Club check in

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-13, 09:58 AM
10thMtnLex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default W58 Conversion

"Id almost be tempted to do it if you werent looking for shop turnaround time... LOL " - lookEVO

lookEVO, - Thank you very much!! I think I've found a shop, but be careful what you wish for, I have three Lexus (SC 300, 400, and GS 300) so there's always something needing done! This is a good reason to have a Colorado meet this year, would be great to get to meet others and build trust and knowledge with the group. My main concern is quality not quick turnaround (although I would prefer the car not be stuck under a sappy tree for 6 months ) I have had the car since '02, and will keep it for many years to come. It has only 92K, and while not perfect, it is really nice, and I'm hoping to retain as much of a factory feeling as possible. Sadly there are a few parts that Lexus/Toyota have discontinued, all out of site, but will have to make do with a couple 'close' substitutes. I'm hoping it will be running as a 5 speed by the end of April.

Thanks!!
Old 03-27-13, 03:15 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you are going to really like the 5 spd swap, I have had 2 automatic sc300's in the past and my current 5 spd sc300. It really brings the car alive, the drivetrain loss on the auto's = horrible, and the 2jz was meant to be revved out.. it souonds like a symphony at redline, it is a Yamaha head after all, it was designed to do that.
Old 03-29-13, 01:11 PM
10thMtnLex
Driver

Ali SC3,

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Have to admit, I'm real worried. Wouldn't feel bad if the car was a total POS, risk of muffin' it up would be minimal, but this is intended to be the long term 'keeper', I hope all turns out O.K. Don't care if piddle stuff like back-up lights or Cruise doesn't work, but darn well better start and drive like it supposed to. Just shy of 2K in parts so far, install to run another 1,800 - 2,200. Have to admit, I would never recommend this to anyone NOT willing to do the work themselves. Serious brain damage (and worse damage to the wallet!). Too far in to back out, guess its 'press on regardless'.

Keep us posted on a meet, All the Best!, -
Old 03-30-13, 06:51 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do the install for 1k, would probably take me a week, just to make sure I did it right. As long as you had all the parts for me.

Im down for a meet. Im doing my build this weekend, thru out the week and next weekend.
Old 04-01-13, 10:51 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

nice, I should have more time for doing meets or turning wrenches this season.
Yeah the manual swap isn't crazy hard, just need to have the parts and install the pedals and stuff, a little drilling, a little bolting, alot of parts and you can get it done without any fab work needed.

I need to go get my car emissions tested again and re-registered, it has sat in the garage so long this winter I didn't realize my tags expired sometime ago
Old 04-16-13, 02:27 PM
10thMtnLex
Driver

Default Let the Good Times Roll!

Woo Hoo!!! The W58 Soarer has come home to roost. Soooo Happy! Found a shop that does sweet work, reasonable rates. Made my SC dreams come true!

On another note, anybody thinking of attending the Drift Colorado 2013 Round 1?? Is May 5th at IMI (near Colorado National Speedway). $10 for a day of fun, hope to meet a few of you out there...

All the Best!
Attached Thumbnails Colorado Lexus Club check in-w58-5-speed-sc.jpg  
Old 04-18-13, 11:48 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

looking good, I would be interested to go, is that for watching or participating... my SC will only be watching.. lol
Old 04-19-13, 07:33 AM
10thMtnLex
Driver

I should specify 'as spectators!' My Lex is 'watching only' as well. Spectators are $10 for the day, usually 2-3 drift prepped SCs are entered along with a slew of 240s, maybe an RX, miata, AE 86, cressida, supra etc. Is a fun low-cost gathering. Info at driftcolorado .org

50 miles on the 'new' W58, gonna take a while to get used to that after 10+ years of driving it w/ auto, +the Auto SC 400 adds to the confusion! Love getting back to a manual!
Old 04-24-13, 03:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

It really looks factory and I will probably make it out to that event as well.
lol I know what you mean about getting confused, I used to have an auto and a 5 spd sc300 both the same color red
Kept the 5 spd and sold the auto. My only regret is not swapping the black interior over
Old 04-26-13, 08:47 AM
10thMtnLex
Driver

Default 5-speed Soarer

Ali & LookEVO,
Thanks for all the kind comments and encouragement. So far I am 100% happy with the finished result. Hope things are coming together for you both, to allow for some summer fun! Hope to meet y'all at some events this year.

All the best!

(one more pic from last weekend's drive)
Attached Thumbnails Colorado Lexus Club check in-a-5-speed-soarer.jpg  
Old 05-07-13, 01:20 PM
esoteric88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm down for a meet and ride!!
Old 05-08-13, 11:58 AM
esoteric88
Driver School Candidate

well I say let's make a FB page to keep everyone updated faster, and pick a spot to meet up at. Sat night is ideal for most people, maybe friday too. Let's just do this thing. Throw out some info and let's meet up!!

Also, if you do create a FB page please make a notice popup or something on the forums
Old 05-08-13, 02:55 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Im not a huge facebook fan (I know I know) but If someone wants to make one and update it thats fine with me.
I finally got my car registered and back on the road, so I am good to go for meets.

I was thinking maybe even in the afternoon at a park or something or a large retail place or restaurant but night meet may work also but can bring unwanted attention sometimes.
Old 05-14-13, 05:49 AM
esoteric88
Driver School Candidate

Ahh ok, let's just get on with this. How about, Friday, June 14th? I'm from NY, so, my picking of places would be only places I've been to. I'll leave that part up to you friendly natives

I was figuring someplace in the middle, but Friday night in Denver would be a disaster lol.
Old 05-16-13, 12:16 PM
esoteric88
Driver School Candidate

I don't get it...what's holding this up exactly? We can set a date and place and if people show they show, if not w/e

Quick Reply: Colorado Lexus Club check in