Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > Digital Photography > Monthly Assignments Archive
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

August '13 - Please NUMBER and post your pics of the month here

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-13, 10:34 AM   #1
SB350
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)

Default August '13 - Please NUMBER and post your pics of the month here

Just got back from a 3 day backpacking trip in Yosemite. This was the camp we set up on the first night:

Click the image to open in full size.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 08-02-13, 12:50 PM   #2
Allen K
Epic Allen
Trader Score: (4)

Let's try this again with reasonably sized pics.

2007 IS350, Tungsten/Black Lux/Nav/ML - Sold after 111,667 reliable miles

TLN # π--> Allen G(oat)

Thanks...
Old 08-02-13, 02:28 PM   #3
RA40
Trader Score: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB350 View Post
Just got back from a 3 day backpacking trip in Yosemite. This was the camp we set up on the first night:
Nice, what lens?

Lately I've been pondering using a Canon FD manual lens to get some of the 5 point stars for evening shots. Only I'm not liking the adapters that have an additional lens and 1.2x factor. I have seen conversions but some lens combos can come into contact with the mirror and that is Still pondering though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K View Post
Let's try this again with reasonably sized pics.
I like the highlight reflection on #7

Mike
Old 08-02-13, 04:43 PM   #4
SB350
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
Nice, what lens?

Lately I've been pondering using a Canon FD manual lens to get some of the 5 point stars for evening shots. Only I'm not liking the adapters that have an additional lens and 1.2x factor. I have seen conversions but some lens combos can come into contact with the mirror and that is Still pondering though.
Thanks. Believe it or not, It's the 18-55mm kit lens that came with my Nikon D5100 taken at f/22. It's a decent light weight lens to bring backpacking.
Old 08-02-13, 05:09 PM   #5
SChema
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
I'm not sure if you've heard of these or not but it was the first thing that came to my mind. I haven't had much experience with FD mounts but I think EdMika adapters may remedy your concerns? They are built without adding an extra lens and the mount itself is the correct thickness to compensate for lens to mirror box distance. If I ever purchase FD glass, the EdMika conversion is on the top of my list. Read many positive reviews on POTN.

http://www.edmika.com/#
Old 08-02-13, 05:37 PM   #6
RA40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SChema View Post
I'm not sure if you've heard of these or not but it was the first thing that came to my mind. I haven't had much experience with FD mounts but I think EdMika adapters may remedy your concerns? They are built without adding an extra lens and the mount itself is the correct thickness to compensate for lens to mirror box distance. If I ever purchase FD glass, the EdMika conversion is on the top of my list. Read many positive reviews on POTN.

http://www.edmika.com/#
Exactly, came across his site along with accompanying YT videos, that had me thinking. My hunt is for a 35mm. The 40mm is quite good but it doesn't have the field of view. By the time I get done with a clean FD lens and adapter, that's good $ towards the 35mm Sigma or Canon 35mm IS. IDK yet. Buying FD glass is very reasonable and the 4:3'rds crowd is snatching these and others up.

Some beachy shots with a focal length lens I despise but was handed to me for testing. Sigma 12-22.

3. To preserve my visual sanity, the 50/1.4

4. An oldie to practice some B&W on

Mike

Last edited by RA40; 08-02-13 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: added pic
Old 08-04-13, 01:20 PM   #7
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Greaseball77

Did a little bit of HDR today. Still getting used to some of the editing techniques but I especially like how #3 and #4 turned out.

1)

HDR Office by Greg Ranallo Photography, on Flickr

2)

3)

4)

2007 IS350 - SGM
Old 08-05-13, 08:33 PM   #8
RA40

Some B&W practice conversions. Comments?

Original

1. The full frame version. This first one is a infrared preset, some additional adjustments were made with the contrast and highlights sliders along with dodge-burn effects.

2. Cropped.

3. A straight desaturated version with manual adjustment of sliders.

Mike
Old 08-06-13, 06:18 AM   #9
Cuttooth
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

Mike. I like the straight desat'd one better because it has more contrast. In the infrared conversion the shadows on the building are very light, it just seems to need more contrast.

Are you using PS for the conversions? I use Nik's SEP 2 for all my B&W conversions and love it.
Old 08-06-13, 06:27 AM   #10
Cuttooth
Lead Lap

One from last week

Patience by Cuttooth01, on Flickr
Old 08-06-13, 11:19 AM   #11
RA40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttooth View Post
Mike. I like the straight desat'd one better because it has more contrast. In the infrared conversion the shadows on the building are very light, it just seems to need more contrast.

Are you using PS for the conversions? I use Nik's SEP 2 for all my B&W conversions and love it.
Appreciate the comments. Both versions done in Lightroom. Nik 3.0 came bundled with Paint Shop Pro that can be fired up to test. Yesterday went hunting for LR BW presets and will try some of those. Nik's Silver EFX and Topaz BW Effects seem . I've done so few BW, not accustomed to a particular look so I'm unsure.

Among the Nik offerings, which do you like? Any samples to share?

Mike
Old 08-06-13, 04:58 PM   #12
bnlexus
Lexus Test Driver

My first attempt on Sports photography. Not very clear and sharp as I had to turn off the flash for continuous shooting. Anyone has experience/suggestion on this type of photography? As the subjects were moving so much, I felt like I wanted to switch to Auto focus instead of fixed point focus. I read the manual and it recommends the 3D tracking. Rockwell also recommends this mode even for still subjects but I don't feel quite comfortable when the "dot" jumping around. Thanks.

Last edited by bnlexus; 08-13-13 at 06:48 PM..
Old 08-06-13, 06:08 PM   #13
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Greaseball77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnlexus View Post
My first attempt on Sports photography. Not very clear and sharp as I had to turn off the flash for continuous shooting. Anyone has experience/suggestion on this type of photography? As the subjects were moving so much, I felt like I wanted to switch to Auto focus instead of fixed point focus. I read the manual and it recommends the 3D tracking. Rockwell also recommends this mode even for still subjects but I don't feel quite comfortable when the "dot" jumping around. Thanks.
College sports is my primary subject. Usually using a flash is a cardinal sin because it can be distracting to the athletes and its a quick way to lose a credential. If you need more light, mount strobes in the ceiling or in the upper stands.

I use auto focus religiously. I haven't found 3D tracking particularly useful for any sport though I do need to play with it more.

2007 IS350 - SGM
Old 08-06-13, 06:54 PM   #14
TwitWaffle
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Cuttooth;8076969]One from last week

[url=http://wwon Flickr[/QUOTE]

LOVE THIS

Make some prints I know you could make money selling this.
Old 08-06-13, 10:43 PM   #15
SChema
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnlexus View Post
I read the manual and it recommends the 3D tracking. Rockwell also recommends this mode even for still subjects but I don't feel quite comfortable when the "dot" jumping around. Thanks.
I did a quick search of "3D" tracking, is this a feature on Nikons? If this is what I think it is, I have found it invaluable when I pan at the drag strip. Canon's equivalent is "AI Servo". Half press shutter and the AF will continuously track your subject. I have mine set up with back button focus with single point using my thumb to engage focus and my index engaging my shutter. I takes a little bit of time to get use to. Depending on what model body you have, I'm sure you can tweak the AF system to your liking. You can adjust AF speed before and after the shutter, adjust how the AF views the subject when objects get into frame, there are many more features that will take time to get use to.
Old 08-06-13, 10:43 PM

Closed Thread