Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > Digital Photography > Monthly Assignments Archive
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Photography Assignment 3: Night Shots

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-05, 08:48 PM   #1
brendanlim
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)

Send a message via AIM to brendanlim Send a message via MSN to brendanlim
Exclamation Photography Assignment 3: Night Shots

Snapshot of the Week has been changed to a bi-monthly event. One week seemed too short for everyone to be able to get out and take photos -- especially with everyone's busy schedule. That is why we've changed the title to just "Photography Assignment."

Start & End Date:
February 6, 2005 - February 19, 2005

Subject:
Night Shots -- This week's assignment will allow us to practice our night shots. So, everyone get your tripods ready and mess around with those longer shutter speeds. There's been a lot of threads that have discussed this topic, so it should be easy for everyone to find some helpful tips.

There's a lot of good information in this recently updated thread by howiedoit:
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/digital-photography/149545-how-to-take-night-time-car-pics.html

Post your submission(s) as a reply into this thread.

Remember, have fun taking these shots and feel free to mention any tricks you end up learning!

This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by brendanlim; 02-07-05 at 09:36 PM..
Old 02-07-05, 11:41 PM   #2
l3xu5
Driver

Taken on Thanksgiving day cause i had nothing to do after dinner. Its a combination of action shot and night shot. Kind of a back to the future effect.

During christmas i bought a wireless remote to take pictures to keep the camera shakes while pressing the button.

Click the image to open in full size.
image shrank to fit to page. Taken with Canon S1 IS with some cheap 10.00 tripod from Microcenter.
Old 02-08-05, 12:02 AM   #3
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Dark light capability of the Canon SLR digital camera. Here's a 30 minute shot of the Orion nebula, iso400. yep...that's 1800 seconds! Shot through a Astro Physics telescope...literally the best optics in the world.

Percy
Attached Images

Old 02-08-05, 12:02 AM   #4
rominl
exclusive matchup

Trader Score: (4)

ok everyone knows i am not good at this, so this is what i got. my camera can't allow any longer exposure so it really sux...

http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/dat...G_4738_cop.JPG

http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/dat..._4736_copy.jpg

http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/dat...G_4757_cop.JPG

http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/dat...G_4753_cop.JPG

http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/dat...G_4742_cop.JPG

http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/dat...G_4740_cop.JPG
Old 02-08-05, 12:10 AM   #5
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Here's another "night shot", but not using a Canon or even a Nikon for that matter. SBIG astronomy camera, set for 20 minutes, red channel only. Object that you see is the Horsehead Nebula.

It would take the Canon 20D more than 2 hours to come up with something close to this picture. Remember that the sensitivity of the CCD/CMOS is due to it's "quantum efficiency" and not it's ISO speed. ISO is just a gain circuit and it doesn't tell the real sensitivity of the imaging chip.

For every 100 photons of light, the SBIG camera will respond to 83 of them, depending on the "color" involved. The Canon will only respond from 6 to 8 photons. Huge difference!

Percy
Attached Images

Old 02-08-05, 08:57 AM   #6
CleanSC
Lexus Champion

Full res: http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/dat...4045celbmw.JPG

This was taken a long time ago and the only thing I have here at work. I'll look for a few others at home. Pic is unedited, minus 3 street lights I cloned out of the background. Otherwise, no corrections of any sort. Could use a crop tho. But there it is in full glory.

AEM EMS - Garrett T-67 - Toyomoto SS - Tial - FMIC - 550's - RPS Max Street - Blitz - LS4 BBK
Wald Executive - 19" Volk Racing Progressiv Spoke - Tein CS - Daizen: Sways/Bushings/Camber
E39 Bi-Xenon - Gunmetal Housings - All-Red '00 Tails - Moonroof Stop Light - LED Brake Lights
Old 02-08-05, 02:44 PM   #7
Fiya
Lead Lap

WOW all these pictures look great, I'm not sure I want to post my pics with all these great ones. How do you guys keep the stars so clear, I would think after such long exposures all you get is a bright streak?

And CleanSC thats a sweet celica. I had a '93 for a few years and it could really take a beating. Any more info on it?
Old 02-08-05, 03:07 PM   #8
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Send a message via AIM to brendanlim Send a message via MSN to brendanlim

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrool
WOW all these pictures look great, I'm not sure I want to post my pics with all these great ones. How do you guys keep the stars so clear, I would think after such long exposures all you get is a bright streak?

And CleanSC thats a sweet celica. I had a '93 for a few years and it could really take a beating. Any more info on it?
You get bright streaks if the light source moves. If it stays in one place you get a star effect w/ long exposures. Here's an old picture I took with my G5 that demonstrates BOTH the star effect and light streaks from moving cars.

Old 02-09-05, 06:55 AM   #9
CleanSC
Lexus Champion

Quote:

LOL oh man that car had everything. I went nuts. Fully built engine (in my garage), competition sound (garage), full interior swap from blue cloth to silver two-tone leather (yep, my garage) lol.

Custom HID projectors from Audi A6:

More info and pics on HID retro here: http://www.allwheelmotion.com/hid/

Built engine:

Engine build here: http://www.allwheelmotion.com/gallery/swap/

Oh and Brendan... Last night I had some time and tried the tripod-out-the-window-front-wheel-spinning shot and HOLY HELL the results were more than outstanding.

I will post pics after take some more after a few more cosmetic mods to perfect the shot.

AEM EMS - Garrett T-67 - Toyomoto SS - Tial - FMIC - 550's - RPS Max Street - Blitz - LS4 BBK
Wald Executive - 19" Volk Racing Progressiv Spoke - Tein CS - Daizen: Sways/Bushings/Camber
E39 Bi-Xenon - Gunmetal Housings - All-Red '00 Tails - Moonroof Stop Light - LED Brake Lights
Old 02-09-05, 10:46 PM   #10
l3xu5
Driver

Here is a night shot we took while in Toronto during Chinese New Year 04.
Would have been a great shot if we could have gotten rid of the reflection from the glass.

Photo taken with Sony DSC-F828.
Old 02-10-05, 06:51 AM   #11
CleanSC
Lexus Champion

That is beautiful.

Old 02-10-05, 07:40 AM   #12
Lvangundy
Trader Score: ()

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3xu5
Here is a night shot we took while in Toronto during Chinese New Year 04.
Would have been a great shot if we could have gotten rid of the reflection from the glass.

Photo taken with Sony DSC-F828.
I just wanna JUMP.....................

That's an awesome shot. The nebula is cool too, but lucky you with that SBIG lens..

Old 02-10-05, 08:18 PM   #13
Fiya
Lead Lap

That picture of Toronto is crazy! I notice you took it with a Sony 828, I recently bought one, what if any extras did you use for that shot? Any filters or lenses, and what settings were your camera on? Looks great
Old 02-11-05, 09:43 PM   #14
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Trader Score: (15)

My first attempt:

http://www.lextech.org/images/Canon/mountain%20019.jpg

http://www.lextech.org/images/Canon/mountain%20020.jpg

http://www.lextech.org/images/Canon/mountain%20023.jpg

Shot it 3 different ways. Not amazing, but that's all you get

Old 02-12-05, 12:24 PM   #15
l3xu5
Driver

Quote:
That picture of Toronto is crazy! I notice you took it with a Sony 828, I recently bought one, what if any extras did you use for that shot? Any filters or lenses, and what settings were your camera on? Looks great
When we went to Toronto the camera was brand new. My friend has no idea what to do with it. I just gave him ideas on what settings to use cause i used to have a old Minolta Maxxum camera from the 80s. No filter and just used the lens that came with the camera.

Picture Info
Exposure Time: 1/0.5
FNumber: 2
ISO : 64
Aperature Value :2
Pulled the info that has been encoded on the original picture from a program called Photo Studio v2.62
Old 02-12-05, 12:24 PM

Closed Thread