Carputer!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-06, 10:00 AM
koolharsh
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carputer!!

NEW PRICE-$500 Shipped!
This started off as a Barebones XENARC MP-SC8 system. Installed an Intel Pentium P4 2.4 CPU, 1 Gig of PC3200 DDR 400 RAM, 40 Gig Maxtor 2.5" 7200 rpm Harddrive, slim DVD Rom. Small Footprint: 5.82"x10"x2.79"; Built-in Audio & Video, 6-Channel Surround sound via SPDIF, 10/100base-T Ethernet, 3-USB 2.0, 1 Fire-Wire, 1 Mic-in, 1 Headphone out, 2 PS2, 1 Serial. 19V DC power input. Also, an activated install of Windows XP Home SP2 (OS disc not included). Standard power adaptor and driver CD included. This carputer project of mine didnt finish due to lack of interest. Ships in its original box.

http://www.xenarc.com/product/mp-sc8.html

Note: You will need to get a Car Power Adaptor, and a Mounting Bracket if needed.

When you go to the link above, you click and build the carputer and see that it ends up to be about $1050+Shipping. I want to get rid of it for $700 shipped.

The carputer is in PERFECT condition. It has no scratches what so ever.

Last edited by koolharsh; 08-07-06 at 08:35 PM. Reason: New Price
Old 07-31-06, 10:21 AM
koolharsh
Driver

Default Pics

If you need any more pics, lettme know, ill take a quick snap
Attached Thumbnails Carputer!!-29_12_sb.jpg  
Old 08-01-06, 06:48 AM
koolharsh
Driver

Default new price

550 OBO Shipped. I really need to buy parts for the SC! Thanks!
Old 08-01-06, 08:53 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

your link is dead.
Old 08-01-06, 11:43 AM
koolharsh
Driver

Thanks OLT problem fixed!
Old 08-01-06, 03:05 PM
koolharsh
Driver

price lowered to 530 shipped Thats honestly the lowest i can go
Old 08-05-06, 04:01 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

I'd really love to have this, l but the problem that I and others most likely face is that we have to buy a screen also, and mount it .........*somewhere*.

I'd have to fork out $1500 minimum since I would want an indash screen (NOT a flip up, a radio with NAVI type deal), then grab this, then the power adapter for this, then......

You have a very nice machine, you just aren't going to sell it super quick because it is a big commitment. Patience You'll sell it, it's very nice
Old 08-06-06, 08:30 PM
koolharsh
Driver

Thanks for the compliment!

Yea, I can see where you are coming from. I had some PMs with the same questions and replied to them, but id like to post it for everyone else.

Basically, you would need to get a touch screen. There are several choices, but Xenarc are one of the best. You can get those for about 300-400 online. Another company, called Lilliput are a bit cheaper, but ive seen people run into alot of problems with that company. Those can run you approx 250 online. 7 inch fits perfectly over the stock system for the SC. 8 inch would need some fabrications. Just to be safe though, you should just use a ruler and make sure. Then, you mount the system under your car (which isnt a good idea), or inside the trunk. You would purchase a start-up/shutdown controller ($85 for the best), so that when you put your key in it turns on, and shuts down when you take your key out. Thats one mistake that alot of people make. They think this is alot of expense (for exp-$1500 for the screen etc). The most expensive part is the CPU, which im selling. I made it myself, so it turns out to be cheaper for me. I work at GeekSquad, so i know what im doing .

Basically, this is the PC. Like a regular PC, you need the monitor. Then since the car and house uses different power, you will need to convert the power watts, so you would need to get a PSU (cost around $100). Thats all you need to start the carputer! After that the possibilites are endless. You can connect a GPS rec, and use the screen as a navi, you can add bluetooth, and wirelessly talk in from your cell (if your cell has BT). You can add all the MP3 on your carputer and play them. You can watch dvds, etc. Basically, what i have done, is added a program called RoadRunner. This program is called a frontend. When i start my computer, and press Roadrunner, it controls all the features. For exp, you can click on music, and it will show al the music in my folder. I can click on GPS, and it activates my GPS software.

Here is a list of things you can do (Copied from a webpage)

Installing a Car Computer expands
the features that are available in your car. These features range from basic audio playback to advanced GPS navigation.
Playback DVD movies from media or your hard drive. Listen to MP3s or CD audio with visualizations. XM radio into your car. Transfer music wirelessly to your car from your house.Use GPS navigation to receive directions, display your location, remotely track your vehicle, point of interest tracking (speed trap, red-light cameras) and show your speed.Integrate your cell phone with your car using Bluetooth technology. This allows you to send text messages, display battery status, access your phone book, display signal quality, dial numbers directly from phone book, display a picture of person who is calling, and mute your stereo when someone calls your phone.Connect to your vehicle computer to view diagnostics, mobile internet (instant messaging, email, and WWW), backup/remote cameras, game consoles (Xbox, etc.) and much more...

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I'd really love to have this, l but the problem that I and others most likely face is that we have to buy a screen also, and mount it .........*somewhere*.

I'd have to fork out $1500 minimum since I would want an indash screen (NOT a flip up, a radio with NAVI type deal), then grab this, then the power adapter for this, then......

You have a very nice machine, you just aren't going to sell it super quick because it is a big commitment. Patience You'll sell it, it's very nice
Old 08-06-06, 09:06 PM
koolharsh
Driver

price dropped again, $500 shipped
Old 08-06-06, 11:37 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OLT - you can use a lilliput screen which will be touchscreen and 7" diagonal. You're in luck- here's one on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lilliput-7-Touch...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-07-06, 11:58 AM
koolharsh
Driver

yea, the screen isnt gonna be too expensive on ebay
Old 08-07-06, 03:18 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

but I would need a head unit for volume control and outputs to control the system and feed the amps would I not?

(I've never messed with one of these systems, don't know the specifics).
Old 08-07-06, 04:16 PM
koolharsh
Driver

noooooooooooooooooooooo.....this carputer comes with a great sound card. You basically have to go to radio shack, get a small wire adapter (wouldnt run you more then $15) and connect the amp to your soundcard. That adapter basically makes your amp wires into a wire that u would use for your regular sound card. Basically, i have a software loaded on which has a volume ****. You would just touch up or down for volume. Also, you have all these other controls for bass, treb, etc.... . When the computer turns on, this program turns on too. Its sort of like a nav system. It asks you what you want to do. Movie, Mp3, GPS, etc. Its pretty easy.
Old 08-07-06, 04:29 PM
koolharsh
Driver

Default Diagram

Heres a little pic that i got from online. I think it helps if you save it on the computer and zoom in. As you can see, its reallly easy to do this. Doesnt take a long time, and not that expensive.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/koolharshis/my_photos
Old 08-07-06, 05:27 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

when you say power adapter... show me an exact one I would need.

Quick Reply: Carputer!!