Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Climate control only cold at "max cold"

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-03, 11:42 PM
jacobking
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Climate control only cold at "max cold"

my 92 sc400 gets REALLY cold when i set the climate control to MAX COLD, but if i try and set it at 65, 66, 67... it only blows out hot air? anyone had this? it's a pain, because it get's too cold on max cold, but 65 is hot. grrrrr

Last edited by jacobking; 09-26-03 at 02:26 AM.
Old 09-26-03, 03:02 AM
LexuSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to set it around pretty low (66) in order to get some cool air.
Old 09-26-03, 05:42 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

It could very well be that you're running low on Freon, or A/C refrigerant, and so your A/C unit needs to be recharged. Bring your car to either a Lexus dealership or a reputable A/C repair shop, and ask to have the unit diagnosed.
Old 09-26-03, 07:04 AM
mtsao
Driver

Originally posted by lexusk8
It could very well be that you're running low on Freon, or A/C refrigerant, and so your A/C unit needs to be recharged. Bring your car to either a Lexus dealership or a reputable A/C repair shop, and ask to have the unit diagnosed.
Also, some cars have a window where you can visually check the level of the refrigerant...I don't know if the SC has them...someone else might know.
Old 09-26-03, 01:28 PM
jacobking
Rookie

i recently recharged the freon, theres plenty of it in there.
Old 09-26-03, 01:54 PM
mtsao
Driver

Originally posted by jacobking
i recently recharged the freon, theres plenty of it in there.
I would give the service department a call to see if they have any ideas. Also, did you have the system charged recently due to AC problems? And if so, was it done at a reputable shop? If you were losing refrigerant before, it's possible that the leak wasn't fixed and it's still leaking. How long have you been having this problem?
Old 09-26-03, 02:02 PM
jacobking
Rookie

when i bought the car, it was out of freon, so i recharged it. i'll assume theres a leak somewhere, but it's a slow one since i still have REALLY cold AC, just at MAX OLD only. i din't have them fix the leak since it appears to be a very small one, as long as it last me a summer or two.
Old 09-26-03, 02:27 PM
mtsao
Driver

Try this thread--there's a lot of relevant info here. Also, hot and cold are pretty vague terms--if you call around, it may help for you to be able to tell them the actual temperature of the air blowing from the vents. I haven't measured my LS, but I've seen low 40s on a 99 GS while the best that my Hondas have managed is in the mid-50s. People have always been mighty impressed at the ice-cold air in Lexi, hopefully you be back in the fold soon.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ant+AND+bubble

Mike
Old 09-26-03, 02:28 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

The temperature sensor in the interior is either unplugged or broken.
Old 09-26-03, 02:40 PM
jacobking
Rookie

that sounds right to me, i was thinkin it had somethin to do with the inside temp sensor. where is it and how to i check it? thanks
Old 09-26-03, 02:51 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

its to the lower right of the ignition. you'll see a little square with vents on it. just take a screwdriver and carefully pry the cover off. you will see the sensor right there. it might be unplugged. if not, you might have to replace it. i didnt see this problem often while i was working at lexus, but i do know that the sensor is the cause of your problem.

Last edited by MrJohnTan; 09-26-03 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-26-03, 03:05 PM
mtsao
Driver

Originally posted by MrJohnTan
its to the lower right of the ignition. you'll see a little square with vents on it. just take a screwdriver and carefully pry the cover off. you will see the sensor right there. it might be unplugged. if not, you might have to replace it. i didnt see this problem often while i was working at lexus, but i do know that the sensor is the cause of your problem.
Hey, cool, I've been wondering what that thing is. Thanks!

Mike
Old 09-26-03, 03:11 PM
jacobking
Rookie

i just pulled that vent out and there was nothin behind it, so then i pulled out all the lower interior pieces and i found a plug with 2 wires (brown and yellow/blue), that was unplugged, but no sign of any sensor. i'm guessin that's it? let me know, thanks in advance. does anyone have a picture of the sensor, on or off the car, thanks!
Old 09-26-03, 03:25 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

If you dont have the sensor in place, then that is definately the problem. From what you are describing, it sounds like youre going to have to order one from the dealer or make a visit to the junkyard. As for what wires go where and what it looks like, I really have no clue. Your best bet is to find someone who can pop off the cover real quick and take a look. I did a search on google and couldnt find any pictures. Hopefully someone else can jump in here.
Old 09-26-03, 03:38 PM
jacobking
Rookie

$35 from dealer, not too bad. guess i'll go that route

Quick Reply: Climate control only cold at "max cold"