Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
View Poll Results: Have you had your transmission flushed or drained?
YES
51.41%
NO
15.09%
NO, but I plan on getting it done
33.50%
Voters: 391. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission Flush/Change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-07, 10:17 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Chenzo26
Can you get Amsoil from anywhere other than their website?
On their website, they have a dealer locator. Some are private individuals and some are stores you can walk into and buy the products.
Old 07-01-07, 09:52 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

***warning noob question alert***

after reading this post, i went to check the trans fluid level on my gs400 and found it to be low. i'm not due for a trans fluid service yet, but i want to add fluid... but where does it go?
Old 07-02-07, 12:01 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
***warning noob question alert***

after reading this post, i went to check the trans fluid level on my gs400 and found it to be low. i'm not due for a trans fluid service yet, but i want to add fluid... but where does it go?
Just get a funnel and pour it in where the tranny dip stick goes. Just be carefull not to overfill! Do a little and then check it, do a little more and then check it, etc...
Old 07-02-07, 07:26 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Scott1258
Just get a funnel and pour it in where the tranny dip stick goes. Just be carefull not to overfill! Do a little and then check it, do a little more and then check it, etc...
damn... i was worried you might say that

what do i do if i overfill? will i have to syringe from the dipstick tube?
Old 07-02-07, 07:32 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin T
damn... i was worried you might say that

what do i do if i overfill? will i have to syringe from the dipstick tube?

pretty much...
Old 07-05-07, 10:42 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome thread. I was thinking drain & fill as well. Now the problem is......gotta find Amsoil Universal ATF.

I'm a bit confused. Some wrote that a drain & fill is about 2qts....then there are others that mentioned 4qts? So how much is it when you do a drain & fill?

How many drains & fills does it take to get rid of the old stuff and have the new stuff in there?

I currently have OEM ATF fluid in there. Would it be ok to mix OEM & Amsoil fluid? I really don't want to flush. I rather do drain & fills.

Thx!

Last edited by Cadd; 07-05-07 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-05-07, 10:48 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Cadd
Awesome thread. I was thinking drain & fill as well. Now the problem is......gotta find Amsoil Universal ATF.

I'm a bit confused. Some wrote that a drain & fill is about 2qts....then there are others that mentioned 4qts? So how much is it when you do a drain & fill?

How many drains & fills does it take to get rid of the old stuff and have the new stuff in there?

I currently have OEM ATF fluid in there. Would it be ok to mix OEM & Amsoil fluid? I really don't want to flush. I rather do drain & fills.

Thx!
The Amsoil has no issue mixing with OE fluid... Mine took 2.5 qts when I did this, but I've seen people use 3-3.5... no clue as to why the variation (maybe some aren't checking levels properly) I'd have 3 quarts for sure...

4 or 5 drain/fills will get a good percentege of new fluid in there, however, it will never be 100%, it just keeps halfing itself

(stand 4 feet from a wall and keep taking a step half the way there, 2 feet, 1 foot, 6", 3", 1.5", .75", .375", .1875", .09375", so on and so forth... by about the 5th step you're as close as you need to be, but technically you'll never get there)

Last edited by mitsuguy; 07-05-07 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-05-07, 11:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Thx!
You can mix them as I know from a when I was out in Jamaica awhile back where Amsoil has a big reputation I was talking to a guy with an Altezza who told me when he switched to Amsoil ATF he did it exactly this way through drain and fills with the old fluid.

Too bad no Amsoil here.
Old 07-05-07, 01:55 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Now, can I use this "Amsoil Universal ATF" fluid for POWER STEERING drain & fills as well?

One final question. If I can't get my hands on Amsoil products, would Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF be ok? http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...hetic_ATF.aspx
Old 07-05-07, 01:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Now, can I use this "Amsoil Universal ATF" fluid for POWER STEERING drain & fills as well?

One final question. If I can't get my hands on Amsoil products, would Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF be ok? http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...hetic_ATF.aspx
Amsoil is very good as a PSF. Know several people who use it.

I actually use Mobil 1 ATF in my PSF, great stuff and widely used as PSF in a lot of vehicles apart from Lexus.
Old 07-05-07, 02:02 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

um, nope...

Mobil does have one though, ATF 3309
Old 07-05-07, 02:07 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
um, nope...

Mobil does have one though, ATF 3309
I'm confused.....
Old 07-05-07, 03:47 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I'm confused.....
the link you posted does not work, however on the left hand side, 3rd or 4th down, you will see 3309 ATF - http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._ATF_3309.aspx

it is compatible with Toyota T-IV, whereas normal Mobil ATF is not...
Old 07-05-07, 04:00 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting. But Mobil1 Synthetic ATF is made for Dexron III (and the owner's manual says we're allowed to put Dexron III fluid for power steering).

Maybe the the Mobil ATF3309 fluid isn't synthetic???
Old 07-05-07, 04:15 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Interesting. But Mobil1 Synthetic ATF is made for Dexron III (and the owner's manual says we're allowed to put Dexron III fluid for power steering).

Maybe the the Mobil ATF3309 fluid isn't synthetic???
we've gone off topic... ATF 3309 is for the trans - it's T-IV compatible... Power steering is Dexron 3... similar, but different...

Quick Reply: Transmission Flush/Change?