Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
View Poll Results: Where do you have your SERVICE WORK done?
Lexus Dealer Only for ALL services!
33.43%
Lexus Dealer for MAJOR services, other shops for SMALL STUFF (oil changes/tire rotations/filters)
34.93%
Never take it to Lexus Dealers - my local shop does all the work.
25.37%
"If it ain't broke - don't fix it!!!" - I do minimal service work where ever I happen to stop...
6.27%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Where do you have your SERVICE WORK done?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-05, 11:48 AM
vpalacio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question recommendations on newly bought '02 rx?

Hey guys, been researchig hard here looking through alot of posts. Thought I would try posting here to see what response I get.

Whats the first thing one should do once they buy a 2002 RX 300 thats still under warranty? I have the same antenna problem that others are having (crunching noise). So I'm going in to get that fixed. I also have a puddle light on the front passenger side thats hanging loose. That should be under warranty as well.

Any other thoughts? Can one walk into a Lexus dealership and simply say, "Fix anything thats only under warranty!!"

I do need brake service but I was quoted $1500

Think I'll just buy the pads and turn the rotors somewhere else.
Old 06-07-05, 01:30 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PitBull
The idea behind the Lexus brand, you bought a Lexus GX470 and you make big bucks and you want super service. It costs you money to sit and wait for your GX to be serviced............ Otherwise you would buy the same vehicle from Toyota (its called a 4runner) and you would sit around and wait for your vehicle to be serviced. I hope that clears everything up for you
Right on, PitBull. It's all about the level of service. Higher-level of service requires more money. My Lexus dealer wants $92 for oil change, but I get a luxurious waiting room, large screen TV with DirecTV, free muffins & coffee, loaner if I want it, hand wash, interior vacuum, etc. Toyota only charges $30, but the waiting room is spartan with a 19" TV on rabbit ears. It does have free coffee and cocoa. I personally do routine 5K oil change at Toyota, but I plan on doing the big 30Ks at Lexus. Once you factor in the Lexus loaner and the extras, the price difference is negligible for the big service every 30K.

My neighborhood Ferrari charges a whopping $700 for "routine service." They send an enclosed truck to pick up your Ferrari at your home. It's shipped inside the truck to the dealership. It gets pampered with just about everything, including detailing inside and out. Then it's delivered back to your home. For the extreme rich people, they get their money's worth.
Old 06-07-05, 01:39 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PitBull
The other side of this servicing question is the smart people that buy used (pre-owned ) Lexus because they are the "BEST" vehicles made and they know quality. They are the millionare next door and never like to waste their money on over priced dealer service and either do it themselves or have a local skilled mechanic care for their pride and joy.
Many years ago, a New York TV station did a story on "Millionaires Next Door." They buy new, but cheap cars like Honda Accord, Ford Taurus, or Toyota Camry. Drive them for at least 10 years before replacing them. Some do their own oil changes, if they can.
Old 07-10-05, 12:35 PM
aristogirl
Rookie

Default I take mine to Luxury Motor Works (LMS)

They are located in Monrovia CA. I live in Ventura county and found that my lexus dealer was not up to my standerds. So I heard about a place about 1 hour and 30 min away from where I live. They are certified lexus tech. that do all the work for half the cost and they work with your warranty co. There are friendly fast and always available. You should definatly check them out if you can.
Old 07-31-05, 10:14 PM
azstinger
Driver School Candidate

i plan on using a local mechanic i really trust, im well out of warranty (94 SC300 w/150k).
Old 08-01-05, 11:39 AM
mmahamm
Driver

I do as much as I can myself, mostly oil changes, inspecting and topping off fluids, etc. The rest I leave to my trusted independent mechanic. If there is something that is a warrantable repair, I take it to my Lexus dealer. They do good work, but they charge too much, and they charge me $5 for the "Courtesy" loaner. (Talk about nickel and diming!)
Old 08-11-05, 10:05 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RX300wannabeIS300
I couldn't find any recent discussions about this, so help me out!

Now that both of my vehicles are Lexus, I'm wondering if I should rethink about where to have service/maintenance work done on my cars. For the past 2 years I've been taking the RX to the dealer for all major services except oil changes and tire rotations, which I've had done at my local Chevron franchise service shop.

Any suggestions/opinions are appreciated!
u forgot
i do it my self because i know what im doing
thats my vote
Old 03-05-06, 01:49 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I trust the dealer to do the job right for what they charge.
I also tell them to use the proper lift placement and cushions to try to protect my body seams where they put the metal lift pads. Ever take a look at your body seam lift points and look for separation or rust developing?
Old 03-15-06, 08:07 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i take mine to the toyota dealer where i get fifty percent off,,,,,,,
Old 03-31-06, 12:20 AM
SportyStar
Driver

Originally Posted by xfirechief
If its a Lexus only the dealer is the place for repairs. Oil & filter changes are not what I consider repairs, it is maintaince work. If u can, change the oil yourself.
I do & put in Amsoil Synthetics & their filter.
Same here, I'm a DIYer for basic maintenance. I use Amsoil, too. Family members help me with major work. My cars only go to the dealer for recalls.
Old 05-11-06, 09:00 PM
minty99z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xfirechief
I'm not too sure what to do with my dealer?

Took the RX 330 in again(3rd time) as the dash was terrible last week. Rattles like a truck. Of course today, not at all. But, had the appointment so took it in. Told them the only way we could get it to stop was for my passenger to push on the dash to make it stop.

After a whole day I get a call & they tell me they can not get it to make the noise. Of couse not, it sat in the warm sun all day. It only does it when it cool. They refuse to take it apart to check it out without hearing the noise. I ask the service guy if he thought I was lying? Why would I want them to take apart the dash otherwise. This sucks, what can I do?

They are keeping it overnight outside to see if they can get it to rattle & squick tomorrow AM. If it does not they won't do a darn thing. And if they won't this is the last Lexus ever.

WHAT DO I DO NEXT??

PS- They gave us a 330 loaner that is perfectly quite. Go figure.

Even if they cant duplicate it, you call lexus corp and tell them its a TSB and you want it fixed ....

lexus parts guy checkin in....
Old 06-17-06, 07:04 AM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

i do all my work at the dealership with out paying those dealership prices. o wait i work at one. :-D
Old 06-17-06, 12:04 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm now due for 30K maintenance check. I checked with my local Toyota dealership and I someone there told me that I can bring my GS over for the work. For oil, filters, brakes, rotors, should I have Toyota use their parts. I've read about products like Amsoil but I figure that I'm dealing Toyota so I should be ok with them using their parts and fluids
Old 06-19-06, 07:31 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A Toyota dealer should be fine for the service. Review your service manual for the required services that need to be performed. Thirty thousand is the complete fluid changes service, I believe.

Advise them as to the K&N engine air filter, so they don't replace it with a OEM paper type.
Old 06-19-06, 09:54 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ServiceGuy
I must apologize for being a little unclear, oil changes and other simple maintenance items are fine, but for scheduled maint, I would definately go to a dealer.
Actually I find Lexus service managers are very courteous. I do most of the maintenace work myself but take warranty work to Lexus dealership.

Quick Reply: Where do you have your SERVICE WORK done?