Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-01, 05:06 PM
eericn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI guys i was wondering what kind of spark plugs you think or the best for the perfomance in
your car. Is it worth the money for the bosh 4+ i don't know. what do you think?

ethan norris
92 sc 300 5 spd
Old 03-25-01, 05:10 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

irodium plugs
Old 03-25-01, 06:14 PM
eericn
Rookie

Default more info

i have never heard of these could tell me a little about these could you tell me where to
look at these.

thanks
Ethan
Old 03-26-01, 12:49 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: more info

Originally posted by eericn
i have never heard of these could tell me a little about these could you tell me where to
look at these.

I've heard that the Denso Iridium spark plugs are the best in the world. And I think the GS4 has it standard, but don't know about the GS3. Can someone confirm?

I think going Denso Iridium is the best way.
Old 03-26-01, 06:51 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Plugs

Ethan - According to my GS4/3 shop manual, the plugs recommended for the 300 are either DENSO #PK16TR11's or NGK #BKR5EKPB11's gapped at .043. The 400 needs DENSO SK20R11's or NGK IFR6A11's with the same gap. Muhammad said these are the best to use even in his supercharged engines so I'd stay with them. U can get them from your dealership or Pep Boyz; Auto Zone or any good parts place.
Old 03-26-01, 07:09 PM
eericn
Rookie

Unhappy plugs

YOu guys say they are recomended for the GS but what about the SC?
Old 03-27-01, 08:17 AM
FastSC300

same diff man, they are a good plug. The gs300 has the same motor. They should work fine. Good luck changing them. Snicker

Have you ever changed them before????
Give yourself a couple of hours and asprin for the backache.

Scot Hail
Old 03-27-01, 08:41 AM
eericn
Rookie

Default plugs

Those part # you gave me are for the platinum should i stay whit those. Or look into
the Iridum plugs? I don't want to have to change these often so it is worth the time to
get the best.
Old 03-27-01, 10:40 AM
mindflux
Pole Position

suggestion:

For those folks running NOS I recomend to stay away from factory Platinum and iridium and switch to a cheaper NGK or autolite plug. For folks running MSDs or other ignition setups I also recommend normal non-platinum plugs. Not worth the expense.

Mind

Old 03-27-01, 01:25 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Question Factory Numbers

Ethan - Those part numbers came directly from my GS shop manual so I'd imagine they're good plugs, even though I'd personally move up to the iridium for my GS ( that design came in the car ). Might call Mo at Swift Racing for a suggestion or I know we have some guys on here that have heavily modded SC's - have U tried the SC Forum? If nothing else, just keep running what U have in there already.
Hey Mind - why run a cheaper plug with nitrous when the ignition/fuel delivery system is so critical to those engines? I've always experimented with heat ranges & found that, for heavy NOS use, a 1 or 2 heat range colder plug works best but DOES require more frequent cleaning as they have a tendency to foul. Unless it's a cost or availability issue, what do U know that I need to know - help me out, my friend!!
Old 03-29-01, 04:35 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Mean Gene,

As anybody running NOS can tell you...it is better to always be checking your plugs, it is the best way to know if you are going lean in one cylinder. I have known so many folks running NOS in so many cars that NONE, I say none, spend extra on EXOTIC blah blah blah plugs. Just get good brand name plugs (which are cheaper but not bad) with the correct heat range (I never said anything about changing that) and go from there. Iridium and Platinum plugs are left for stock systems or almost stock systems because they just LAST longer, they are not better (as far as performance is concerned) than the other sparkplugs!!

So if you are fouling plugs, eating up electrodes and running NOS why have something that is supposed to last with the STOCK system? My logic says to run normal plugs and change them more often than normal and in this case more often than cars running NON-platinum plugs. I have heard of spark plug changes at oil change intervals for heavy NOS applications to be on the safe side. I recently switch to non-platinums ($$$) but car runs perfect. I am running NGKs BCPR6ES in my 1UZ-FE engine for now.

Run a search in the internet for this topic ...running platinums and NOS and you'll switch to regular plugs quickly. <<<---correction (don't listen to me)

I just reread your post so if cost and availability is not an issue then I guess stick with platinums but keep on checking those plugs!

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...q/faqread2.asp

Mind

Last edited by mindflux; 03-29-01 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-29-01, 05:12 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Mean Gene,

Check this:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf.../faqpregap.asp

Here you can find the truth about platinums...they last longer and are more consistent. But states nothing about running NOS.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/product...s/platinum.asp

Might help you too.

Mind

Old 03-29-01, 06:46 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Cool Cool!

Mind - Thanks for the links! I understand your point completely & agree that feedback from the plugs is the best way to determine what's going on in the cylinders. I guess it does come down to costs, at least until U find the plug that works best for ya. I only changed my 'Vette plugs once every 6 months but I wasn't going crazy with the nitrous & had gone thru several heat ranges to find the one that gave me the best compromise between everyday driving & occasional spraying. Will check on those links to try & learn some more about the different pros & cons of electrode materials - Thanks again!!