Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
View Poll Results: For What Services Do You Take Your Car To the Dealer?
I take my car to the dealer for ALL services
44.00%
I only take my car to the dealer for services I can't perform
28.00%
I only take my car to the dealer for services I don't have time to perform
12.00%
No, I never take my car to the dealer for services; I have them done at another shop
20.00%
No, I never take my car to the dealer for services; I perform ALL my services myself
4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

How Often Do You Use Your Dealer For Services?

Old 05-22-03, 08:11 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How Often Do You Use Your Dealer For Services?

I had this discussion with another CL friend, and I thought it would be a great thread.

What justifies the relatively high labor rate at the dealerships?

I can only relay my opinions based on my dealings with my local dealership Service Dept.

Reasons for using the dealer:

- Sometimes we just don't want to spend the time on it - we'd rather be doing something else (...out on the lake....) :>)
- The dealer has very compentent mechanics
- We (asnd our beloved cars) get treated very well at the dealer; great service goes a long way these days
- High confidence in work done (no second guessing)
- Loaner (....hey, get and RX so we can haul......)
- Diagnostic capability
- I can take my own parts in (aftermarket & stock) and use them just for labor without catching any flak
- Tech support when I am actually working on my own car (I went in with a caliper in my hand, and I got to go out on the shop floor andspeak to a Tech directly, and he was very cool & helpful)

Does all this warrant the high labor price? Mostly 'Yes', at least to me.

Some stuff, of course I can do on my own pretty quickly (T/B cleaning, adjust throttle, wiper blades, etc.)
Old 05-22-03, 09:14 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My $0.02:

I agree that anything requiring electrical diagnosis should be handled by a Lexus dealer.

Anything that requires a lift should be handled by a mechanic with a lift :-)) I choose to use mechanics that offer the same quality work at 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a Lexus dealership. For me, the exhorbitant service prices don't justify a cup of coffee, a loaner, and a touch of kiss butt. Fact: there are few items on a Lexus (other than some electical issues) that require unique Lexus-specific knowledge to diagnose and repair. For example, I'm too big to crawl around under a car on jackstands so I'll send the silver bullet to a reputable local mechanic (who did the TC install) for the 3.76 LSD install this summer.

Anything that doesn't require a lift will be handled by "yours truly". I grew up in a DIY environment, so I've got a lot of experience and a high comfort level with DIY. I've also got the other critical ingredient which is a nice selection of tools. I don't think I"ll spend more than one day a month turning wrenches on my car and i get a lot of personal satisfaction from completing a job myself. Therefore, I won't send my car to a mechanic on the basis of "you know, my free time is better spent on the lake or at the strip club" For example, I'll DIY the brake upgrade I plan to purchase in the next month.
Old 05-22-03, 09:31 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something worth mentioning:

- An oil change usually cost me <$30. That's with me breinging my own oil, and I get a loaner.
- I don't thik than kiss butt and great service are one in the same
- People like Tom, who have the skills set, and tool sets needed to do their own work, sure, it makes absolute sense to DIY. If I were Tom, I would do nearly everything myself too.

Most Lexus owners, obviously not represented here on CL, don't fall into any of the categories above, most have more money than time, and I bet that is also a deciding factor in Lexus Service Department Pricing Strategies.
Old 05-22-03, 10:08 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Originally posted by Dex
Most Lexus owners, obviously not represented here on CL, don't fall into any of the categories above, most have more money than time, and I bet that is also a deciding factor in Lexus Service Department Pricing Strategies.
Well said
Old 05-26-03, 06:49 AM
Sovero1
Pole Position

I usually take my car to my friend mechanic's shop, where, for cheap, I get my oils/brakes/belts, etc (trivial things) changed. For something more serious, like taking apart the engine and whatnot, I take it to the dealer.
Old 05-26-03, 05:19 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

I take it to my dad's friend who is a mechanic/engineer. He shows me exactly what he does and charges me very reasonably...Sometimes even 1/4 of what Lexus charges depending on what work is involved...

Bryan