Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Hybrid battery charging, conditioning, repairing, etc....

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-16, 04:04 AM
gevorg123
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hybrid battery charging, conditioning, repairing, etc....

Hi Guys!
If such a topic was already posted, sorry.
So, recently I found out something interesting that I'd like to share with you.
Everyone who heard about hybrid toyota/lexus or owned it, knows about hybrid battery issue - discharging issue, and sometimes we don't purchase hybrids just because of that. So we know that after several years of correct working, hybrid battery gets discharged and this fault can be solved just by replacing to a new battery.
But what I found is 2-3 companies in USA declared that they can charge the battery and give warranty, repaired battery will be 95% charged compared to new one. I don't want to right the companies name here to advertise them. And the bottom line is that they don't replace cells, they charge them
To be honest, I'm businessman, and I was making such a search because I also thought, that might be some technology of charging hybrid batteries.
So what do you think is it possible or not?
I'm not good at hybrid systems now, and just began to research.

P.S.
in Europe many who works with hybrids tells me that it's impossible, even if you'll charge your battery, it will be enough max for several months and anyway you'll have to replace to a new one. But I realize that in future major part of gasoline vehicles will be hybrids, not sure about USA, but sure in Europe, so we have to learn how to fix them.
The following 2 users liked this post by gevorg123:
jjchicago (07-23-20), SJM (08-21-21)
Old 07-12-21, 02:00 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I have replaced my hybrid battery with oem and it ran a little under 6k. Ever since the update I have experienced increased battery only driving and general charging discharging has been a lot better. Like a new car. I see greenbean mentioned and also would like to mention greentec. They have coverage nation wide as well. I believe the batteries themselves come from China as opposed to Japan if you go oem. Think of it as preventative maintenance or refreshing a turbo.
The following users liked this post:
SJM (08-21-21)
Old 07-13-21, 09:09 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

I try very hard not to buy products from China!
Old 10-27-21, 01:09 PM
MagnitoLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gevorg123
Hi Guys!
I found is 2-3 companies in USA declared that they can charge the battery and give warranty, repaired battery will be 95% charged compared to new one. I don't want to right the companies name here to advertise them. And the bottom line is that they don't replace cells, they charge them
I can't imagine this working well personally but I'm not an expert. I'm going into buying a used car with the expectations of replacing the battery. I was also told to stay away from reconditioned batteries and just buy a new one if I plan on keeping it.
Old 01-08-22, 08:38 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Posted to wrong thread....
Old 03-21-22, 06:38 AM
mdony72
10th Gear

Default Is it hamrfull to keep driving with dying hv battery

Originally Posted by rl9010
I have replaced my hybrid battery with oem and it ran a little under 6k. Ever since the update I have experienced increased battery only driving and general charging discharging has been a lot better. Like a new car. I see greenbean mentioned and also would like to mention greentec. They have coverage nation wide as well. I believe the batteries themselves come from China as opposed to Japan if you go oem. Think of it as preventative maintenance or refreshing a turbo.
i ve been experiencing fast cycle of discharged - recharged and occasionally got a check hybrid warning and obd code p07af : deteriorating battery pack

will it damaged other part , say the MG1 or MG2 , if I keep driving say for another year or another 10 k miles. Mine is 2012 GS450h ( 4th generation) witj 75 k miles
Old 12-17-22, 06:49 AM
Andres7
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Replace with a nice Lithium battery

I would replace it with the better and lighter lithium battery from ProjectLithium. For around $2k new. There is plenty of videos on installation, just pay special attention to the safety recommendations .Be happy and enjoy your CT!
Old 03-27-23, 10:05 PM
Cloverdale
2nd gear

Default 2013 ES 300h. No warranty. 135000 klms / 84000 miles.

Not getting same distance from battery. Charges up to 6 or 7 bars on screen, but will be depleted in a mile.
Anyone exp same. Ideas? Other issues besides battery?
Thx

Last edited by Cloverdale; 03-28-23 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Update information
Old 03-28-23, 05:02 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

What is a 300h? GS IS ES NX RX?

Sounds like a bad cell. Is it under warranty still?

The hybrids use a series batter pack, 28-40 cells in series. Any one cell can take the whole pack down. Anytime you see a rapid change in state of charge from low to high expect a cell or 2 is bad.

Note these cars aren’t meant to drive far at all as an EV. A mile is a long way with a 1.7-1.8 kWh pack. A healthy battery can probably go 1 mile but it isn’t intended to be an EV.

Where are you located? Here in the US Greenbean offers a lifetime transferable warranty battery for $2650 installed on the RX and GS. Worth it if you’re going to keep it. In some cities you’ll find shops who can repair the pack but don’t expect a real long warranty.

Originally Posted by Cloverdale
Not getting same distance from battery. Charges up to 6 or 7 bars, but will be depleted in a mile.
Anyone exp same. Ideas? Other issues besides battery?
Thx