Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Water repellant windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-16, 10:54 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Water repellant windshield?

just discovered that when I tried to wiped down the back windshield with water the water swears? How is everyone cleaning their windows? Do you even wipe dry the Windows? It almost seems to leave more steKs with this type of glass? Appreciate any tips thanks!
Old 09-29-16, 08:15 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I've used the cheap Sprayway brand (ammonia-free) from Sam's Club on many surfaces, and it is probably the best glass cleaner I've seen (for the price). I've also had excellent success with Invisible Glass which is also ammonia-free, but it's more costly. I finish my cleaning with a lint-free towel once I've finished with the paper towels and glass cleaner.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/spraywa...cans/165019.ip

Last edited by F250; 09-29-16 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-29-16, 10:15 AM
Alanp18
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually just clean my windows with rainx 2 in 1 glass cleaner
Attached Thumbnails Water repellant windshield?-photo749.jpg  
Old 09-29-16, 09:48 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the glass cleaner recommendations appreciate it!
Old 10-04-16, 08:05 PM
JoeSuff
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Invisible glass and Rain X, but I don't think I understand the thread. When I'm using RainX (glass water repellent) I've never had to really "clean" my glass on the outside, unless I'm going to re-apply RainX.

May sound odd but applying RainX is the first thing i do when i wash my car. You don't have to really worry about getting spots. And i can just dry with micro towel after after i finish the rest of the car. I like to use newspaper for cleaning glass surfaces when I have it . Old habit from when i used to be a lot boy for a limo company.
Old 10-05-16, 05:45 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Just a tidbit about newspaper...

Newspaper is a great cleaning "pad", partially because it has a small degree of abrasiveness to it. That's why it works so well. In fact, paper in general has a low level of abrasiveness. This abrasiveness comes from residual micro-sized coating and filler particulates which are left over from today's ever-increasing recycling efforts. That's why some craftsmen use dense paper wheels on grinders to polish and refine the edges of their tools and knife blades. I only know this because I got my BS in Paper Science and Technology over 30 years ago and have spent my entire career working in manufacturing technology support and consulting engineering in that industry. (Paper Science and Technology is a specialized ChemE degree for the Paper Industry).
Old 10-15-16, 12:35 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
Just a tidbit about newspaper...

Newspaper is a great cleaning "pad", partially because it has a small degree of abrasiveness to it. That's why it works so well. In fact, paper in general has a low level of abrasiveness. This abrasiveness comes from residual micro-sized coating and filler particulates which are left over from today's ever-increasing recycling efforts. That's why some craftsmen use dense paper wheels on grinders to polish and refine the edges of their tools and knife blades. I only know this because I got my BS in Paper Science and Technology over 30 years ago and have spent my entire career working in manufacturing technology support and consulting engineering in that industry. (Paper Science and Technology is a specialized ChemE degree for the Paper Industry).
Great news, then rather than dealing with news print ink, PAPER towels should be just the ticket to get the job done.
Old 10-17-16, 05:48 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dicer
Great news, then rather than dealing with news print ink, PAPER towels should be just the ticket to get the job done.
Paper towels work well, but that particular paper product is typically has a very low-to-no level of filler additives since it's primary purpose is absorbency and strength. It is, however, what I always use. A final wipe down with a dry microfiber (once the windshield is dried) will take care of any residual paper lint.
Old 10-30-16, 06:34 PM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not understanding what you mean by the water swears. Might be a typo

Rain x is an excellent product to leave a extremely smooth surface that will allow water to glide off in beads. I'd stay away from traditional paper towels as they can leave behind fine fibers. Microfiber works very well
Old 10-30-16, 07:12 PM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For interior glass, use Stoners. Its the best for all glass included tinted.

For exterior glass, treat it like you treat your paint. Use a paint cleaner, polish and wax. Rain-X is just a glass cleaner with waxes included. You can achieve the same result by directly applying wax and it'll last longer. You're not trying to just repel water. It's bugs, dirt, uv rays, all of it. Just like you do on your paint. They should be treated the same. If you properly polish and wax your windshield, you won't even need wipers.
Old 01-19-17, 10:16 AM
F250
Lead Lap

I've also seen the result of my son using chrome polish on the glass, and the water beads and scatters and runs as good or better than any other treatment I've ever seen. Doesn't last too long, but it certainly removes any micro-etching which takes place as a result of dust abrasion and chemical or UV degradation of the glass' smoothness.