Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

2002 ES300. Steering wheel is off-center, can I re-center it myself?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-03, 08:02 AM
sniper5
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question 2002 ES300. Steering wheel is off-center, can I re-center it myself?

The delaership sucks and wont even try to help although there is a TSB for it. I wanted to know if it's something I could easily do myself or if I should jsut stay away from it? Would air bags deploy if I tried to re-center it? Thanks for any input / info/ links you can provide me with.
Old 05-09-03, 10:39 AM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

sniper5,
Go to another dealer. OR bring your car in repeatly for the same complaint. After the 3rd time they have failed to fix it. Notify the Regional Lexus Service Manager about the dealer's failure.. send them copies of all your work orders.

To answer your question, you can remove the steering and re-center but if you have to ask then it's best not to try. Also why pay for something which should be covered under warantee?
Old 05-09-03, 11:49 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sniper5 -

Stay away from it.....have it done by a professional. Sounds like you need a 4-wheel computerized alignment. That should fix the steering wheel problem being off-centered. When was the last time you did this? Most places warranty the alignment for 6 months. Make sure you tell the tech specifically to straighten out the steering wheel.

I cant comment on the TSB....

Pete
Old 05-13-03, 10:20 AM
sniper5
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Guys thanks for the replies. I guess the main problem is I told them the car was always pulling to the left and that I always had to push the steering wheel to the right in order to make it go straight. I told them I thought either the car was out of alignment or the steering wheel was off center. They couldn't duplicate a problem, would never re-center it, they did an alignment because they said I can ask for one only once when it's under warranty, and gave it back to me. EXACT same problem. Do they test these things after they complete their work? I brought it back again and told them it's pulling to the right again. They couldn't duplicate the problem again and just gave it back to me. I go tired of it brought it in again and ask for a mechanic to ride with me. His diagnosis: pulls to the left AS SOON as you let go of the wheel, no matter what lane of hwy you're on. He also said the tires where cupped, probably b/c I don't rotate them. Well, car has 13K miles, and they rotated at 5k and 11K. After much fuss they gave me a new set of tires but wouldn't mention that there is a silent recall on the Toyos I had for cupping.
Anyway, the noise is gone with new tires but I still have to be pushing the steering wheel to the right in order for the car to go straight. And every time I bring it in, they can't duplicate a problem. On anything.
The closest dealership aside from this one is 4 hrs away, so that's not an option. I don't want to be a chronic complainer in their eyes when I know they won't fix it. That's why I though about doing it myself if it's not hard
Sorry about the lengthy post they just **** me off and I need to vent. I paid extra for this over a Camry b/c I wanted superb service all the time. This is a freaking joke.
Old 12-02-21, 04:15 PM
anorflet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steeringwheel off centered

Originally Posted by sniper5
Guys thanks for the replies. I guess the main problem is I told them the car was always pulling to the left and that I always had to push the steering wheel to the right in order to make it go straight. I told them I thought either the car was out of alignment or the steering wheel was off center. They couldn't duplicate a problem, would never re-center it, they did an alignment because they said I can ask for one only once when it's under warranty, and gave it back to me. EXACT same problem. Do they test these things after they complete their work? I brought it back again and told them it's pulling to the right again. They couldn't duplicate the problem again and just gave it back to me. I go tired of it brought it in again and ask for a mechanic to ride with me. His diagnosis: pulls to the left AS SOON as you let go of the wheel, no matter what lane of hwy you're on. He also said the tires where cupped, probably b/c I don't rotate them. Well, car has 13K miles, and they rotated at 5k and 11K. After much fuss they gave me a new set of tires but wouldn't mention that there is a silent recall on the Toyos I had for cupping.
Anyway, the noise is gone with new tires but I still have to be pushing the steering wheel to the right in order for the car to go straight. And every time I bring it in, they can't duplicate a problem. On anything.
The closest dealership aside from this one is 4 hrs away, so that's not an option. I don't want to be a chronic complainer in their eyes when I know they won't fix it. That's why I though about doing it myself if it's not hard
Sorry about the lengthy post they just **** me off and I need to vent. I paid extra for this over a Camry b/c I wanted superb service all the time. This is a freaking joke.
sorry about replying years later, but im currently driving and work on my 02 es300 with 320k just put a purdy new trans in her haha, steering wheel is not centers a tiny bit off to left, you COULD jus tbuy tow plates or get any flat surface to measure the wheels and realign the cars front alignment yourself, center wheel and maybe do 1/4 inch tow in