Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

The usual problems + oil question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-03, 01:10 AM
ZatonBorf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The usual problems + oil question

Recently got a 91 LS400 with 92K on it. Burgandy with pimp chrome wheels. The center caps were plastic with vaccum metalized centers (looks like chrome) but the crap was coming off so the center caps looked stinky. Paid $120 for the local guy who can chrome non-metal stuff to do all the wheel centers and now the pimp wheels look like new. I'll get my lime green tux pressed and ready for work. Car had the 90K service. Naka stereo, no air suspension. Moon roof.

Anyhoo - power steering pump leaks a bit - my solution - add goo. If I am going to have to replace it, might as well run it down until its leaking really good and then replace it. Thanks for the info. I have exper with brit bikes, old harleys, and brit cars, so a bit of oil is a good thing - keeps it from rusting....

High idle when cold / when A/C is on - will try to clean the ICV - thanks.

Car can be a bit twitchy on road. Dealship already replaced a strut and bushings when I complained about it pulling a bit the day after I bought it, and, they replaced the almost broken door handle. All for free on a car I selected as "the cheapest thing you have on the lot". Sewell Lexus in Dallas (texUs) is a classy place. I might get mech bud with gear to change the toe in a bit to make it less twitchy, maybe.

A/C control no lights on switches on driver's side. $900 to replace unit - can't buy bulb - so I learned where the switches are and when alzcheimer's kicks in, I turn on the map light.

question (if you want to skip to the chase...)

I have noticed that on my oil changes it seems to take about 4.5 quarts instead of 5.6 (in owner's guide) (changed warm) and using mobil 1 which its not leaking. Although...sometimes its blue smokey on start up. But thats only been like 2 times since I bought the car (about 6 months now).

That's with the filter and I do the changes myself, so is 4+a bit quarts right? I checked the dip stick, ran it a bit, the whole 9 yards, even tested the dip stick in fresh oil to see how it would read. (old bmweer bikes can be a ***** with fresh clean oil)

I drove one of these when they first came out and they gave you a stadium kit to guilt you into popping 40K for one. Eeeeeh - wrong - I don't care - gimme! And I still have the blanket and binolcular bits which are nice. I waited 12 years though to get one (so maybe it did work!). I liked the car then, but too much $. Like a japanese mercedes to me. My first lexus. Thanks.
Old 04-05-03, 10:36 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Welcome to ClubLexus Zaton! I just bought a 98 LS myself as well (in addition to my GS).

I'm moving your post to the maintenance section. I'm certain one of the moderators there (who are Lexus techs) will be able to help you out on your question.
Old 04-05-03, 02:07 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just keep an eye on the power steering pump, you don't want it to leak too much fluid and start whinning. Remember the alternator is right underneath the PS pump. The PS fuild can dipped down on to the alternator and it will mess up your alternator. You will end up with the new PS pump and a new alternator.
Old 04-05-03, 06:46 PM
ZatonBorf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks WT-i Mebe I will make it a diaper! Right now its not leaking it very much...