Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

How to calibrate a Throttle Position Sensor with a multi-tester

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-03, 10:04 AM
pscmj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul,

Sorry for the delayed response ... I was on vacation last week and I didn't get your message until this morning. Anyway, to your specific questions:

1) The x1 setting (range) on your multimeter should be correct
2) Yes, you are looking for either and open circuit (meter needle will not move, or if meter is digital, usually an "OL" display), or a short circuit (meter needle will move to 0 Ohms, or a digital display of 0 for digital meters ... I specified somewhere less than 2 Ohms in the procedure for this condition).
3) A feeler gauge is used in mechanical adjustments between two points (usually one of the points is fixed, and the other can vary), and can be found at any auto parts store such as Advanced Auto, AutoZone, etc. They vary in shapes and size ranges (usually in inches or millimeters).

Good luck ...
Old 09-19-12, 06:58 AM
559SC400
Driver School Candidate

I know this is a very very old thread but very confusing to me
Is there perhaps a video of this? It will be very helpful. I have trac light code 51 which is the sub throttle position sensor voltage 1.47 or higher.
Old 09-20-12, 04:08 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 559SC400
I know this is a very very old thread but very confusing to me
Is there perhaps a video of this? It will be very helpful. I have trac light code 51 which is the sub throttle position sensor voltage 1.47 or higher.
if you are having that code, chances are calibrating is not going to fix your issue... your TPS is most likely bad and will require replacement... how to check - simply pull the plug on the TPS, figure out which pin is ground and which is signal - should be close to 0 volts at closed throttle, close to 5 volts at wide open throttle... if it doesn't range like that, it is bad...
Old 09-20-12, 08:49 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
if you are having that code, chances are calibrating is not going to fix your issue... your TPS is most likely bad and will require replacement... how to check - simply pull the plug on the TPS, figure out which pin is ground and which is signal - should be close to 0 volts at closed throttle, close to 5 volts at wide open throttle... if it doesn't range like that, it is bad...
That doesn't justify the sensor is bad. You must test the whole range, not just at full closed and full open. You can have a bad spot in between.

Best way to test it is with a scope and slowly open the throttle and watch for voltage drop. With a meter, you can do the same process.
Old 09-20-12, 08:55 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
That doesn't justify the sensor is bad. You must test the whole range, not just at full closed and full open. You can have a bad spot in between.

Best way to test it is with a scope and slowly open the throttle and watch for voltage drop. With a meter, you can do the same process.
This is correct, however a hole in the signal generally wont set a code like he has...

That code generally sets because the tps is returning an out of range signal...
Old 09-20-12, 09:53 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
This is correct, however a hole in the signal generally wont set a code like he has...

That code generally sets because the tps is returning an out of range signal...
That's not 100% true. Because since it doesn't happen all the time, it wouldn't set a code. I've seen many cars with glitches in the TPS and they will not set a code.
Old 09-21-12, 12:25 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
That's not 100% true. Because since it doesn't happen all the time, it wouldn't set a code. I've seen many cars with glitches in the TPS and they will not set a code.
Read my post... that is exactly what I said, that a variation in the middle likely wont set a code... this Guy has a code, which is generally a value that is too high
Old 09-24-12, 01:29 AM
559SC400
Driver School Candidate

I'm new at this and I'm a little lost. Idk if these numbers mean anything but I got an ohmmeter at an auto part store and the numbers I saw were 1.03 at most and around .7 or .6 lowest but I left it in the middle around .8 or .9 does that mean my tps is bad? I purchased one a while back but I didn't calibrate it and the trac light was still on. Maybe I should've checked the numbers on those? Its just that it isn't cheap so I thought my original one was good because it sounds the same so I returned it. I appreciate your time and response
Again thanks. What's the difference between the 2 tps? Sub throttle does that mean the tps to the left or right? When standing in front facing the car. Thanks in advance.