Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Warranty Question/Clarification

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-03, 09:10 AM
Progent
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Warranty Question/Clarification

I have a 2000 GS300 that I brought into the dealer while still under warranty. I complained that the driver's window/channel was squeaking while going over mild bumps or imperfections on the road. The dealer informed me that the warranty for squeaks in windows is ONLY covered for the first 12K miles/12 months.

Never hearing this before, I questioned the dealer but was turned away. I called Lexus of America but was unable to get an answer from them. They pushed me back to the dealer who has yet to return calls.

Although I am now fighting this through Lexus NA I wonder if any of you have ever heard of this. I cannot find statements of fact regarding the issue in the warranty book.
Old 03-11-03, 09:36 AM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

That's BS! Your car is covered for 4yrs/50K miles, don't let the dealership tell you otherwise. Otherwise it would mean that all the rattles my dealership has looked over on my GS430, they did out of warranty, and the same for my GS400 that i use to have. I mean come on I would go to another dealership if convenient or just continue calling Lexus HQ while trying to get your dealership to address the issue. Good luck
Old 03-11-03, 09:44 AM
Progent
Driver School Candidate

Thank you GS430 Guy. I got off the phone with Lexus NA this morning telling them that unless they can show how a rattle is not covered, I will fight this to the end. I agree, the dealer is blowing wind up my ***

I made the argument that my glove box was fixed via a TSB just a month earlier (at 48K miles) and there was no issue that they raised. Also pointed out that when I hear a squeak I am not sure what it is and how can they. The sound is only the symptom. Of what? Who knows? When the engine "clanks" I only know that it does. I couldn't tell if the clank is a cam or rod or bad engine accessory. Why should I? That is why I exercise the warranty. - End of rant
Old 03-11-03, 11:04 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Progent: What dealership refused to do the work? That's absolutely ridiculous. Are you in Northern or Southern California? There are plenty of great dealers you can take your GS to.
Old 03-11-03, 11:12 AM
Progent
Driver School Candidate

I am in NorCal. The car was purchased and been serviced at Magnussen Lexus in Fremont since the start. I tried the dealer in redwood City CA once for an oil change at 3K miles but the tech spilled oil all over the crossmember and decided not clean it up until I came back.

I am used to bad dealer service on my M3 but have never run into this kind of resistance for the Lexus. I am at a loss as to what they were thinking. Like I said earlier, it is time to latch on like a bull dog and not let go. I will fight this issue through Lexus NA. Thanks!
Old 03-11-03, 11:58 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Personally, i would go to another dealership, unless that is not an option, I won't want to waste my breath on this. I went to 3 dealers for the last 2 years, and I like 2 of them and dislike 1. It's not lexus policy to give you hassle, it;s just the service guy that you deal with, he/she is just being a** if you know what I meant. Dealers are independently owned, so you get different treatment at different place, Lexus overall just gives the dealers the incentive to give the customer the best service they can offer by using customer feedback rating system as a factor to give the dealer discount/brownies, but some dealers are not as good as other.

Last edited by BananaGS; 03-11-03 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-11-03, 12:07 PM
Progent
Driver School Candidate

Default ~

I understand what you mean but here is the issue. I brought the car in at ~48.9K miles and complained of the squeak. The dealer applied lubricant to the window/frame. It did not help. I come back 10 days later and that is when all this drama happens.

At this point the car was at ~49.7K miles. Today, the car is out of warranty with 50.1K miles. It was clearly in warranty during the raised issue and I am fighting it because it is wrong. I called Lexus the same day I was turned away so it was not an out-of-warranty issue. I wanted a resolution quickly but found everyone involved dragging their feet.
Old 03-11-03, 12:19 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i notice through all these threads lately and by personal experience that lexus dealership experience is getting worse and worse. they seem to be giving their customers more BS each and every day now.
Old 03-11-03, 12:28 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally posted by GSquicksilver
i notice through all these threads lately and by personal experience that lexus dealership experience is getting worse and worse. they seem to be giving their customers more BS each and every day now.
My opinion is the exact opposite. My dealer is getting better and better; have developed relationships with the service guys and they do me (and others in the area) right regularly.

Think it depends on the dealer.
Old 03-11-03, 12:53 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Progent - Just curious, you bought your GS new at Magnussen? I have been using Magnussen for service in Fremont and haven't had any problems and I have found them to be pretty good at the intangibles (complained of something just not right in my drivers seat and four days later they switched the hides onto a whole new seat mechanism). But I would also agree that maybe another dealership is possible. My wife bought her GS Christmas Eve at Steven's Creek and they have just been bought by Penske and are making all the right noises about upgrading service. Just haven't really seen it, my wife has started using Magnussen as well.

Good luck.
Old 03-11-03, 01:16 PM
Progent
Driver School Candidate

Ron, the car was purchased from Magnussen. And, generally speaking the service has been fine. I recall the service department dealing with a brake issue at 13K when the brakes were clearly not in warranty. That is, in part, why I stayed loyal to them for my service needs. Even through I have three dealers closer to me.

This latest issue is confusing and disturbing as Lexus NA is, in my opinion, not doing what is right. What is right? Ride the dealer and get a response or take on the issue directly. What is the point of having the customer service center? To pass on messages? If it is not part of their charter to take care of matters/disputes then they should not exist. It is a waste of everyones time.
Old 03-11-03, 01:51 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I understand both the frustration with the dealer and with Lexus. I even hate to mention this but why don't you have them give you an estimate for fixing it. If someone is just going to spray some WD40 in there, that probably won't do much and can't cost much. If there is something more going on, at least you will know what you are trying to get from Lexus. Then again, if they want $50 for a mechanic and then will have to stand behind that repair for a year, maybe it is the easiest way to go. Squeaks and rattles in a car like a Lexus can drive you nuts and maybe it is better to just be done wtih it. Besides, if they fix it, and you have the receipt and are already on record with Lexus, you will have it fixed and might be able to get the repair cost reimbursed by Lexus? Geez, how much can we be talking about to look at this?

Wish I had better advice, good luck.
Old 03-11-03, 02:02 PM
Progent
Driver School Candidate

You are right. I will get it fixed and have records of the repair. The car is driven by my wife and it doesn't bother her. As you said, for a Lexus it is annoying.
Old 03-11-03, 02:10 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

I really wish I had come up with something better. Part of me says to really try and get it resolved but then you are the one driving the car (or your wife) every day and putting up with the annoyance. So the other part of me says to make the car right and then see if you can get reimbursed. At least the car quits annoying you, which, is the more important point to me. Just don't like to see people being annoyed over something that might be trivial. As for corporations, maybe annoying them keeps them a bit sharper on customer service, and that's a good thing.
Old 03-11-03, 02:26 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased my 98 GS as a CPO from Steven's Creek Lexus. However, I take my car to Magnussen in Fremont as well -- my car is there now for it's 60K service. They are at least consistent in this respect -- they have always stated that sqeaks, rattles and other annoyances are not covered beyond <insert some low years/mileage here that my car is well beyond>. In this respect I am not happy with this dealer but they have been great in all other areas.

Quick Reply: Warranty Question/Clarification