Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Lights stay on without key.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-03, 04:05 PM
Macky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help is needed

I drove my car to work today. Placed it in park and removed the key. All of the dash lights stayed on. I did notice also that when I left for work the steering wheel didn't drop down to it's normal position. Anyone ever had this problem or have any clues what it could be?
Old 03-02-03, 04:21 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

I suspect the ign switch has collapsed (the switch is behind the key barrel), or one of the relays (ign perhaps) has jammed on.
Old 03-02-03, 04:58 PM
Macky
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Bill. I was thinking about the ignition switch myself. Is it a common problem?
Old 03-02-03, 06:21 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

I have not heard of it before on a Soarer/SC but it is pretty common on other cars once they get a few years on them.
Old 03-03-03, 06:51 AM
Pen
Rookie

Before doing anything drastic, have a look at the little switch attached UNDER the ignition switch. It detects the presence of the key and activates some things like the wheel, mirror, door beeps etc.
It might just be loose or have fallen off, then again, from memory it doesn't control the dash lights, so I could be very wrong.
Old 03-05-03, 04:27 PM
Macky
Driver School Candidate

Well, looks like I'm back to square one. I put the new ignition swicth on today and still have the same problem. I did notice a few things. Not only are all the dash and guage light on but so is the light for the heat/air display directly over the radio. I also noticed the auto feature for the steering wheel doesn't work either. I guess I could have got a bad switch but I'm lost now. Any suggestions?
Old 03-05-03, 04:28 PM
Macky
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by London Bill
I suspect the ign switch has collapsed (the switch is behind the key barrel), or one of the relays (ign perhaps) has jammed on.
Do you know where the relay is located?
Old 03-05-03, 05:15 PM
Jerry_Supra
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't ask me why because I really don't know why but I had the same problem. Try using your horn and if it doesn't work then check the fuses. My horn was bad and was blowning the fuses. I would replace the fuse and try the horn and again it would blow the fuse. The car would then have the light problems you described. I finally changed the fuse to a 20 instead of the 15 it came with and the problem disappeared. I have since changed the horn also.
Old 03-05-03, 05:19 PM
Macky
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I'll check that in the morning.
Old 03-23-03, 12:03 PM
Macky
Driver School Candidate

Well I've disovered a few other things that may help someone figure out my problem. Like I stated originally when I take my keys out of the ignition all of the dash lights stay on. I also notice that if you have the lights on, they will stay on too. You can operate the windows and radio without the keys in the car. My first thought was the relay that allows power to operate the windows and radio for so long after the key is off. I've come to the conclusion that somehow power is still being sent which explains why the headlights stay on, the windows and radio work, and the steering wheel doesn't move to the position to get out of the car. Any ideas?
Old 03-23-03, 01:04 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Macky
Well I've disovered a few other things that may help someone figure out my problem. Like I stated originally when I take my keys out of the ignition all of the dash lights stay on. I also notice that if you have the lights on, they will stay on too. You can operate the windows and radio without the keys in the car. My first thought was the relay that allows power to operate the windows and radio for so long after the key is off. I've come to the conclusion that somehow power is still being sent which explains why the headlights stay on, the windows and radio work, and the steering wheel doesn't move to the position to get out of the car. Any ideas?
the windows are suppose to still be able to roll up and down for 2 minutes or until you open the driver side door. the little light in the window switches will stay on too.

my steering wheel also sometiems does not go up. just stick the key back in and pull it out and it should go back up. also make sure the switch is set to ON.
Old 03-23-03, 01:08 PM
Macky
Driver School Candidate

I realize about the windows being able to be rolled up for up to two minutes but mine will open and close up to and hour later and with the door opened. I also forgot to mention I unplugged the harness going to the ignition switch and the dash ligts still stay on.
Old 03-23-03, 01:51 PM
strongsail
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the electrical manual for the '93 - after a bit of sleuthing, I find that there are two components in the power supply system that could affect the items you say are staying on with the key out of the ignition - they are the Power Main Relay, located on the fuse panel in the fender side of the driver's footwell, and the Theft Deterrent and Door Lock ECU, located between the instrument cluster and the firewall.

Since the relay is electromechanical (and easier to get to!), I would check it first. Take a look at that panel - there's only one relay on the side facing the footwell - and give the relay a sharp tap to see if the problems go away - failing that (its contacts may be welded and won't come loose when jarred), pull the relay out of the panel and see if the problems go away.

Hope that helps - please post your findings!

Last edited by strongsail; 03-23-03 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-23-03, 02:05 PM
Macky
Driver School Candidate

Thanks strongsail I'll check that out and get back with my findings.

Last edited by Macky; 03-23-03 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-23-03, 02:38 PM
Macky
Driver School Candidate

I pulled the Power Main Relay and that didn't work. I think I also located the Theft Deterent/Door Lock ECU if it's mounted directly above the steering column. I unplugged the two plugs going into it and no luck there either. I'm thinking there has to be a relay stuck open/closed that is causing all the problems. I just don't know which one. So far SC400 electrical problems 3 Macky 0.

Quick Reply: Lights stay on without key.