Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Is350 recall vvt check vsc engine doesnt work car doesnt start

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-14, 04:16 PM
e3r5i0c
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is350 recall vvt check vsc engine doesnt work car doesnt start

i recently drove my 2006 is350 and all of a sudden the car started making a weird noise and the check engine light came on, check vsc light came on, as well as the slip indicator symbol. i was able to drive the car a few more blocks until the car completely shut down on me. after doing research for a couple of days, i found that the cause could have been from the recall but i was not too sure. but videos and stories that i looked over lead to the assumptions of this problem. a day later i decided to call my local lexus dealership and tried to get into contact with the service manager but no luck. i ended up speaking with a service rep and they said that YES, the recall will be covered even if the car does NOT run. i called twice to make the confirmation and they said YES twice. i then scheduled for a service the next day and i had to get my car towed to them. i got there and they were absolutely NO help. i explained to them my situation and the guy automatically assumed that oh its not part of the recall. they said they cant service the recall unless the car works and i told them that i had called them a day before to ask and they said twice that it will still be serviced. its like they didnt even want to look at my car unless i paid the diagnostic fee of $250. they even said that the service representatives didnt know much except to pick up phone calls. if i had known all of this i wouldnt have even gotten my car towed to them. so after not wanting to pay the 250, i told them that i would take it to my mechanic and then they were like i can probably get the diagnostic down to 125. i felt like they were trying to take advantage of me and get something out of me. i wanted to leave that place asap because i felt like they were just trying to get over on me. so i had to tow it again over to my mechanic and he had come to conclusion that my engine/motor died because of the recall. he looked at my motor and there was a HOLE in it and also a lot of things were out of place. PLEASE HELP, THIS IS URGENT, MY CAR DOESNT WORK, and i dont want LEXUS to RAPE ME. at this point i dont know what to do
Old 07-23-14, 07:38 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

$250 for diag? jeebus...

aside from that, there are a bunch of reasons your car does not run anymore.

some may be recall related, some may not - just the lights coming on doesn't mean anything - each of those lights has a very wide variety of reasons...

if you want to find out real quick why the lights came on, borrow or buy a cheapie scantool and pull codes - those may or may not tell you the reason, but it might give us some good insight...
Old 07-23-14, 08:05 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you have a bit more information on what your mechanic told you was wrong? How does he know exactly what happened? And the VVT recall has been out for a while now, any reason you didnt have the car repairs previously?
Old 07-23-14, 08:29 PM
e3r5i0c
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats the first thing i did, the codes that came up were P0343 and P0340. stumbled upon this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...t-start-2.html where the owner had similar problems
Old 07-24-14, 12:56 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

A hole in the motor? Picture maybe?