Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Rotten Egg Smell Revisited..

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-03, 01:13 PM
Shoofin'GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotten Egg Smell Revisited..

It's really annoying...This has been happening for some time now. I know that the cause for the rotten egg smell is usually related to a catalytic converter that is on it's way out..When we first got the IS300, the smell was there anytime we drove the car. We figured that was related to the "wear-in"period. The IS now has 1800 miles, and the smell usually only comes when you rev(punch) the car a bit. My GS gets the smell every time I punch the car, and it has about 16k miles. Oddly, the RX300 never gets the smell at all, no matter how hard you drive the car(8000 miles).
I know that it might have something to the air/fuel mixture running lean, but if we all use the same gas in all three cars, why is it only happening in two of the three? Is it coincidence that it's only happening in the in-line six equipped vehicles? I've had other cars that never smelled this bad this often...Help?
Ed
Old 02-16-03, 01:38 PM
jaymode
Driver

I am not sure about this rotten egg smell either. I have only experienced it once and it was only on my 2003 accord, but that was a while ago. But a lot of people complain about it on the new accords and it is related to the catalytic converter, Honda says it is normal but i do not think it should be and definitely on a lexus. Have you tried taking it to the dealer, if it still has a warranty just keep pushing them to fix it, and if they dont whine and complain like a B**ch
Old 02-16-03, 05:23 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

There is a kind of faint stank to the car at times even after cleaning it and it's NOT me!

I'll try FEBREEZING THE CAR!
Old 02-16-03, 06:11 PM
500amg
Driver

Actually, when I first got my '03 CLK it smelled like rotten eggs quite a bit. Even now with ~5000 miles or so on it, it will smell if I really punch the car. I thought it was just the break-in on the converter, but I dunno. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.
Old 02-18-03, 12:24 AM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Arrow its normal

my dads 90 ls400 does it, it always has. only when you get on it. if you drive mormal no problem. its Lexus , its cat, its normal. i wonder if you would get that smell if you took the cat off? my buddy replaced his cat with a direct pipe. this was on an older cressida. it didnt smell? i wouldnt worry about it, the ls 400 is pushing 200,000. good luck!
Old 02-18-03, 06:43 AM
Shoofin'GS
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: its normal

Originally posted by elclassico
i wouldnt worry about it, the ls 400 is pushing 200,000. good luck!
But it smells horrible!
Ed
Old 02-18-03, 05:22 PM
stock300
Driver

There is a TSB for the Lexus A/C musty smell on Alldata.com. Unfortunately, I'm not a suscriber. Somebody out there must use their service. If you do a search for "A/C musty smell", it may give us some insight on preventing this problem. I'm just curious about what Lexus recommends.
Old 02-18-03, 08:05 PM
Shoofin'GS
Driver School Candidate

Well, I had this "musty smell" issue with my car at 14,000 miles young. It had a smelly sock odor.. Had the filter changed, and everything's fine. On a side note, the dealer made me pay for the filter, while I just got the car a month beforehand, and it was supposed to have been certified. I would think that they would do the 15k mile service for a car with almost 14k miles on the odo in the certification process, guess not . Best of all I was employed there! Only once in a while the car get's the smell..But believe me, rotten eggs is rotten eggs, and musty smell is musty smell...you can tell the difference between the two.
Old 02-19-03, 12:37 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default i have only heard of a slight smell

if its horrible, then i would think somethings wrong. maybe get a different cat put on? trial and error. it might cost something but at least you know its that or not that. the dealer should pay it for you. call the 1800 number if they didnt, or tell them you will call if your not takin care of, those lex dealers are cheap, but if you twist there arm hard enough they will give in. good luck. also what kind of filter did they replace? air? i would get a k&n replacemnet filter regardless. let us know what hppens!
Old 02-19-03, 09:29 PM
Shoofin'GS
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: i have only heard of a slight smell

Originally posted by elclassico
also what kind of filter did they replace? air? i would get a k&n replacemnet filter regardless. let us know what hppens!
A/C filter..
Old 02-20-03, 12:04 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default ac filter? on a new car?

your egg smell is coming from the ac? i thought it was when you accelerate, like it was the cat causing it? whatever it is if it bothers you, get it fixed. or do what i do aND just learn to live with it! good luck!
Old 02-20-03, 12:40 PM
Shoofin'GS
Driver School Candidate

If the climate control is set to take in fresh air, it would go through the vent and come into the car. Otherwise, you'd smell it if you stop and the windows are open, or you stop and get out of the car.
Ed
Old 02-20-03, 04:46 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default i get it.

so the question is what causes it? i dont think a new filter would do anything, sounds like a typical lexus dealer trying to make more green? hope you find the source !
Old 02-20-03, 05:27 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This subject came up earlier this winter. Just in case you missed it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=68918
Old 02-20-03, 09:03 PM
Shoofin'GS
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Daddy-O
This subject came up earlier this winter. Just in case you missed it:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=68918
I know about that thread.. I reverted to that, heck I even replied in there too way back when...But still, I can't figure out why the GS and IS are the only Lexi in my house to have the smell.
elclassico- the a/c filter cured the mildew smell from the HVAC when it was turned on. It doesn't smell like mildew anymore, only the rotten egg..
Ed

Quick Reply: Rotten Egg Smell Revisited..