Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

HELP! Is the dealer trying to rip me off on service!??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-03, 08:34 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation HELP! Is the dealer trying to rip me off on service!??

I brought my '99 GS400 is for service today and was told, first of all, that the 30k mile service would cost me $468 plus tax.

Next of all they said my serpentine belt would need to be replaced because it was routine maintinance, and would cost my $100 plus tax for the part, and they said labor was free since it was under warranty.

Then they said my A/C filter needed to be replaced and they said it was $47 plus tax for parts and labor was free.

Then they said my front brake pads needed to be replaced and they were $185 plus tax... and that my rear brake pads were about 5,000 miles away from needing replacement.

He also said my water pump was leaking but that it would be covered under warranty, all parts and labor.

So is this right?? $800 worth of service at only 30k miles?

I thought Lexus\Toyota vehicles were durable and relatively maintinance free?? My '00 Chevy Silverado has 40k miles on it and I don't think I've even paid $150 total for all the maintinance on it. The brakes, belts, and everything else have never even been touched, and they literally feel brand new.

What the heck is going on here? Am I getting ripped, or what?

What have you guys paid for similar service??
Old 02-13-03, 08:48 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Expensive car, expensive service. Are you the original owner? If not, you can in part thank your predecessors for the treatment leading up to this point.

IMO, $800 at 30K is not that much. The types of parts failure and wear and tear do make me wonder, though. I have a trusted mechanic whom I use to verify all outrageous dealer claims, perhaps you could also use a second opinion?
Old 02-13-03, 08:55 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Next of all they said my serpentine belt would need to be replaced because it was routine maintinance, and would cost my $100 plus tax for the part, and they said labor was free since it was under warranty.
that is so much bull. your serpentine belt is supposed to last till 60,000 miles. so if it's going bad now, it is WARRANTY all the way. they should replace it for free.

call lexus corp up if they still won't agree to replace it for free.
Old 02-13-03, 09:01 AM
kvoman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the Lexus website for manufacturer's recommended service items or refer to your maintenance manual.

I think on our GS430, it only calls for oil and oil filter change, cabin air (A/C) filter replacement, rotate tires, check/inspect brakes tires and fluids at 30k miles. The cabin (A/C) air filter replacement is a recommended item, not a required item. If you don't replace it, it has no affect on the performance of the vehicle except for the quality of air in your vehicle.

The serpentine belt replacement is BOGUS. It's not a maintenance item. Have them replace your water pump because it's under warranty. When they replace the water pump, they have to replace all the belts, the serpentine belt is what is used to turn the water pump along with others.

You may want to inspect and measure the pads yourself because the dealer may be replacing them with 30-40% life left on the pads for liability issues. It could also be that you're hard on the brakes so they are worn down and need replacement. Regardless, the cost for the brakes are about right since it is from a dealer and they have to replace the pads and turn the rotors. Unless you do it yourself, which would be considerably less than that. This is a wear and tear item and it depends entirely on the driver.
Old 02-13-03, 12:54 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

--The $468 price is pretty good, there is a wide range of different quotes for the same 30,000 mile service. The brakes and the belt are wear and tear items and are expensive-especially from the dealer. I would buy aftermarket pads and install them yourself. As far as the belt goes, mine started squeaking at 33K, I replaced it myself and had to pay $90. So, it doesn't sound like your getting ripped off...it's typical Lexus dealer pricing.