Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

GS brake light comes on

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-03, 09:31 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default GS brake light comes on

It only comes on for a few seconds in the morning, but EVERY morning at the SAME onramp to the freeway. I'll be driving up the onramp and the red brake light comes on while i'm stepping on the GAS, not the brakes, and of course stays on as i am slowing down to merge into traffic, then goes away for the rest of the day. i believe it has something to do w/ the master cylinder but its not my car so i keep putting it off. here's a shot i got of it this morning...had the camera ready cuz i knew it was gonna come on.

edit: what my dad tells me: "you probably don't have the parking brake released"..... of course it's released, dad!
Attached Thumbnails GS brake light comes on-gsbrake.jpg  

Last edited by meZoom!; 02-12-03 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-12-03, 09:32 PM
Lvangundy

Check the flux capacitor..

j/k.. Doesn't the GS have a worn brake pad sensor? maybe the pads are too thin.
Old 02-12-03, 09:34 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

mmmm, plus i drove through like a foot and a half of rain today and the brakes were totally non-functional as i flooded the wheel well/brake calipers. not good.
Old 02-12-03, 10:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by meZoom!
mmmm, plus i drove through like a foot and a half of rain today and the brakes were totally non-functional as i flooded the wheel well/brake calipers. not good.
wow, now that's VERY bad..... water didn't get into the cabin???!
Old 02-12-03, 10:54 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

I had similar problem on my RX and it turned out the brake fluid level was just above minimum and the incline (uphill for me ... ramp for you?) caused the low fluid sensor to light up the dash indicator.

Salim
Old 02-13-03, 05:10 AM
mdw131
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where my sister's old RX's brakes were worn the brake light would come on interminently....
Old 02-13-03, 06:19 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Lexus is VERY sensitive to brake fluid levels; I've experienced the same situation in the past with both my last SC and my current GS. In both situations, topping off the master cylinder was effective. (No clue why it was slightly down but no evidence of leak nor any recurrence in either vehicle.)
Old 02-13-03, 06:23 AM
Lvangundy

That little sensor in the brake fluid reservoir is either receiving 'full' or 'empty' ..

Try adding some brake fluid.

Last edited by Lvangundy; 02-13-03 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-13-03, 06:55 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: GS brake light comes on

Originally posted by meZoom!
It only comes on for a few seconds in the morning, but EVERY morning at the SAME onramp to the freeway. I'll be driving up the onramp and the red brake light comes on while i'm stepping on the GAS...
Originally posted by mooretorque
Lexus is VERY sensitive to brake fluid levels...
Exactly what I thought when I read '...at the SAME onramp to the freeway. I'll be driving up.....'

Originally posted by Lvangundy
Try adding some brake fluid.
Check the level first, then add some fluid if the reading is low. Just clarifying.
Old 02-13-03, 06:57 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2001 GS also has a brake light problem, I'm taking it in on Monday. My sunroof is creaking so this will be addressed too and when I drive the car when its really cold (under 10) I get a howling noise from the rear
Old 02-13-03, 01:53 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

meZoom, I would use a different onramp.

No, just kidding.

If topping off the brake fluid doesn't fix it, have the parking brake set up checked. Alot of people don't use the parking brake. It should be used whenever possible, even if on flat surfaces. This keeps the mechanism adjusted and working. The sensor may be stuck and the vibrations set up by that particular onramp and your style of driving at that point may be enought to set it off.

I hear you on the wet brakes, does it ever do it when the brakes are bone dry?

steviej
Old 02-13-03, 02:06 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Originally posted by steviej
meZoom, I would use a different onramp.

No, just kidding.

If topping off the brake fluid doesn't fix it, have the parking brake set up checked. Alot of people don't use the parking brake. It should be used whenever possible, even if on flat surfaces. This keeps the mechanism adjusted and working. The sensor may be stuck and the vibrations set up by that particular onramp and your style of driving at that point may be enought to set it off.

I hear you on the wet brakes, does it ever do it when the brakes are bone dry?

steviej
nope, never on dry days. i flooded the wheel well pretty bad yesterday, there were many cars who stalled out in the middle of intersections. i was kinda scared. Hehe, I returned the GS to my dad a few hours ago so now it's all his job!! what a great child i am, ay? i do believe its low fluid though. i always use the parking brake on the GS but dunno what the regular driver's been doing...
thanks guys!
Old 02-13-03, 03:14 PM
kvoman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody once told me that if you do not have a leak in your brake system and your fluid is low, that means your brake pads are worn and should be replaced. When you push the cylinders out to make room for the new pads, the fluid will be pushed back into the reservoir filling it back up. By adding new fluids now, your reservoir may be overfilled and can spill when you replace your brake pads and have to push the cylinders out for the pads at that time.

It makes sens to me since the brake fluid is non-compressible and if it's not leaking anywhere, then it must still be in the system.
Old 02-13-03, 03:52 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Originally posted by kvoman
Somebody once told me that if you do not have a leak in your brake system and your fluid is low, that means your brake pads are worn and should be replaced. When you push the cylinders out to make room for the new pads, the fluid will be pushed back into the reservoir filling it back up. By adding new fluids now, your reservoir may be overfilled and can spill when you replace your brake pads and have to push the cylinders out for the pads at that time.

It makes sens to me since the brake fluid is non-compressible and if it's not leaking anywhere, then it must still be in the system.

my, what a difference a few millimeters in the brake pads makes, eh?
Old 02-13-03, 07:43 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

meZoom,

take those "few millimeters" multiply that by the surface dimensions of the pad, now multiply that by 8. That equals some serious volume.

Your story reminds me of my friend. We call her puddles. She always seems to drive throught he deepest ones and makes it.

sj

Last edited by steviej; 02-13-03 at 07:44 PM.