Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Strange noises in my GS4

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-03, 11:34 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noises in my GS4

I have noticed (within the past few weeks) that when my car is in park or reverse and I tap the brake pedal, I hear a 'clicking' sound coming from somewhere in the area of the shifter.It clicks when the pedal is pressed and then again when the pedal is released.Also when I accelerate in drive I notice this really strange sound, the only way I can describe it is it kinda sounds like muffled gravel shifting around somewhere and it appears or sounds to be like its coming from the center console area as well.I have removed everything from my center console and glovebox thinking maybe some things were shifting around in there on acceleration, but the noise is still there.Nothing major has been done to the car except going from 20's to 17's(thanks VVT-i ), and if I am not mistaken the noise was there before the change.Has anyone heard of something like this? Is this something I need to take and get looked at? If anything its just becoming annoying to me.....what do you guys think?
Old 02-18-03, 07:29 AM
jeromeg1
Driver School Candidate

Default Rattling in the console

I have the same issue of the rattle sound...Noticed it since it started to get cold here in Chicago...

I have about 77k miles on my 1998 GS400 now...

I can't tell what it is...if I rev the car, I can here it intermittently...At first start up, it is loudest...

by the end of my drive, I don't notice it...

Scary feeling, the car drives fine...from what I feel...but the sound concerns me too...

sounds like something is loose in the transmission or torque converter...

if you find something out, let me know...I will let you know if I find something...

I will do my trans service in a couple weeks, see if anything changes...

Talk to you later...
Old 02-18-03, 09:13 AM
Sooner
Pole Position

brake pad shift is what it sounds like to me
Old 02-18-03, 11:36 AM
PlayboyzGS
Rookie

1. Your brake pedal noise is normal. Its the Safety mechanism that prevents you from shifting from Park to Drive unless your foot is on the brake.

2. Your gurgling noise is air in the coolant system. You need to add coolant/water to your system and bleed it out for air. This is solve your problem. I had it before and it is fixed now after this process. Good Luck.
Old 02-18-03, 04:18 PM
jeromeg1
Driver School Candidate

clicking noise in the shifter is a relay(like a switch)...and the above post was correct was that it stops you taking the shifter out of park until you press the brake...saftey feature...sorry, I should have said that in my first reply to you

Are you guys sure about the coolant thing? Not a bad idea though, it does sound like fluid...and is intermittent...I hope that is all...I was leaning towards the trans, metal shavings..etc..., I am hoping it isn't, and your opinion is better than mine...just strange how it loses the coolant and gets air...

Thanks!