Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-03, 03:07 PM
NEO GEO
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Royal Purple

I just recently found out about this oil and i'm hearing great remarks about it. my sons friend is using it in his new Dakota R/T and swears he has more power from it. and his father is running it in his super-charged Vette and claims that he noticed a differance. i also talked to a few street rodders and they have been running it in their rods and love this stuff. i also talked to a few other Vette owners and they won't run nothing else. now my son is going to put it in his super- tubo GTI. can anyone here shed some light on this oil and how good it really is? oh they also said it superseeds any thing out there and is used in every racing circut. It is a wild purple color and i am deffintely thinking of getting some real soon for my LS-400. at $6.00 a quart which isn't cheap but from what they say about it that would justify the price. so if anyone tried this oil please post here. Thanks NEO GEO
Old 01-25-03, 07:44 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Only hearsay from me, but RP is good stuff, though I'm a Mobil1 kinda guy due to availability. I don't doubt your son's friend thinks he feels more power, but the placebo effect is a potent thing. (I suspect that he'd think he had more power if his exhaust were louder, too.) Regardless, it certainly won't hurt your LS.

You might look at www.bobistheoilguy.com. Very informative site re oils of all kinds.
Old 01-25-03, 10:30 PM
NEO GEO
Driver

Cool

thats cool mooretorque, i tried that web site but it comes up blank! see what you get. i will be getting this oil and will be changing it the next time it's in for an oil change.
Old 01-25-03, 11:49 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Thumbs up

FWIW: I use this oil in my GS and I punish it but also change it every 3K miles. So far it's been all good. I've looked around a bit and have found it for just under $5 / qt.

Once we're talking about these types of oils (Mobil, Royal Purple, Redline, Amsoil, etc...) IMHO we're getting to a point of splitting hairs especially as long as you change your oil at reasonable intervals. For me in this category of oils I doubt the oil I use will have any effect on how long I keep my car.
Old 01-26-03, 01:28 AM
NEO GEO
Driver

Thumbs up

Mr Johnson, it's good to see your input and you like the product. im just glad you shared your experiance of using it. maybe some more will post their thoughts also. where did you find it for that low price if you don't mind me asking? as far as me and my LS i'll most likely keep it forever cause it's the one body stlye and year i was looking for for a long time, and i have a gem. and i also change my oil every 3 to 4 thousand miles and no more.
Old 01-26-03, 07:38 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

NeoGeo, sorry the site didn't work; I'm not an IT guy like many here, so possibly they can explain.......but it works fine for me!

Since you are using the "buy and hold" strategy with your LS, you might want to consider beginning to send oil samples for analysis after each change.

You'll also be happy to know that the LS seems to have the durability of an anvil. One of my closest friends bought a 94 used, with about 25k miles on it. It just passed 250k (w/o any major work, motor and tranny still original) and they've given it to their (now) 16 y/o son!!! No surprise that they just bought an 02 to replace it.......

Looking back at my previous post, there's a period in the URL that shouldn't be there. (Almost 49; guess I need the a bigger font.) Try this:

www.bobistheoilguy.com

Last edited by mooretorque; 01-26-03 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-26-03, 03:31 PM
NEO GEO
Driver

Thumbs up

Thanks mooretorque, for the reply. i found the site for Royal Purple and a few more places that carry it. the closest is about 80 miles from where i live so i'll just order it from one of the websites i found. not bad prices either. some offer free shipping too. yea you are right about the LS-400 being an ANVIL it's a heavy car but the ride it gives is one of the best on the road. oh about the bigger fonts AHAHAHA I know what you mean, i just turned 50 and just started to use reading glasses.
Old 01-27-03, 03:48 PM
sniper5
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Royal Purple, Neo and my favorite Red Line are all group V lubes. Purely synthetic, created in the lab, stuff. Mobil1 and other "synthetic" oils you can buy in a store are not group V lubes and are not pure. I believe Amsoil is Group IV, everything else labeled as "synthetic" is group III. Group III is good enough for your every day drivers and cars that are not abused much.
Group V oils are excellent, with a lot less wear on you engine. However to achieve better protection they do add more zinc additives than recommended by the API. Thus, some of the group V oils are not API certified. The only thing that extra zinc may mess up is your catalytic converters, but it will take a long time for that to happen and it will just boost you emissions. Another thing you have to watch for is not to put this type of oil in a car that is mostly run for 3-4 miles in stop and go traffic. It will never get hot enough to burn off the deposits, possibly causing gelling, which Toyota had problems with on 2002 Camry and ES 300.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-03, 04:40 PM
NEO GEO
Driver

Cool

Hi sniper5, it seems you know alot about syn. oils. one question can i still run one of the different weights of Royal Purple? my car will be driven city and a lot more of highway during the spring to fall months, will it still be fine to use? i have the 4.0 liter V-8 in my 94 LS-400 and will it also have problems using this oil? oh and as far as emissions thank god where i live we don't have it. they tried getting it for years but the city and surrounding area is not big enough in population. let me know what you think on this. NEO
Old 01-28-03, 02:11 PM
sniper5
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey neo,

I really wouldn't recommend a different weight that the one your manual is calling for. I probably wouldn't use it in a car that would not get at least 10-15 highway miles each way, either.
You mentioned a 94 car, so I'm guessing you're well over 40K miles. If you have been using regular oil up until now, there's one more thing to consider. Regular oil will leave a lot more deposits than fully synthetic. So what it does, with deposits that it does leave it keeps plugging little holes where a potential oil leak could happen. It will kind of coat the bottom and maybe fills in some gaps. If you suddenly switch to synthetic in an older car, the additives in it will clean the engine, removing deposits left from conventional oil and possibly cause a few oil leaks. Some people don't want to mess with that, so I though I mention it.
If you're still set on switching there are products you can buy that will let you flush your engine before the switch. I would also change the oil filter twice in the first 3 months. It may get clogged up faster.
I have been using RedLine oil in my Lex after the initial 1500-mile wear-in period and have not seen any differences in improved performance or increased gas mileage. I know the engine is cleaner and if I decide to keep the car after 5 years, I'll have an engine that should bring a lot more trouble-free years.
Old 01-28-03, 06:16 PM
NEO GEO
Driver

Cool

Snipe, Ok is that why when mobile first came out some people were discovering leaks in the cars? i know someone that changed over to moble-1 years ago and developed some oil leaks, but then changed back. the story at that time was the seals in the block would start to leak and really don't know if there is any truth to it, but probably so. my car does not have one single leak and i really like to keep it that way. i'll tell you something that's hard for me to even believe. and that is when i bought my Ls i drove it 330 miles from start to finish and couldn't believe my mileage i got. it has a 22 gal. tank and was full and odometer set when started and when i drove into my driveway i exactly had a 1/2 tank left. so do the math, this is unreal to get that much milage from a car that heavy and old. also it has 72,000 on it, go figure. I would like to use the best oil i can so i will have to think on this before i choose one. i also like to really clean the internal from all the previous oil that has been used and start fresh. syn or regular, man this is a tough decission.
Old 01-29-03, 01:13 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Neo, don't do the math from your gas gauge...it will grossly mislead you. Always do the calculation from actual usage.
Fill, drive, replace, calculate. Even though the gauge said 1/2 full, I think you will find it actually used more like 13-15 gallons instead of the theoretical 11. I don't mean to bum you out, but this is from experience with Toyota, Dodge, Pontiac, Mazda, and yes...Lexus.

I used Mobil 1 in a supercharged Bonneville from 85k miles to 155k miles and never a leak. I switched over to Mobil 1 in my Lex and no problems yet. I can't speak to the purple stuff but have heard good comments on it. I prefer the synth. stuff due to better viscosity on very cold start up....seems to be every day here lately.

Whatever you do, if you don't like what you put in, then use something different the next time. The myth about once going to synth and not being able to switch back is a load of crap.

Remember, it is not so much as what you put in but how often you put it in. Every 3-5k with filter change will keep you running tight.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 01-29-03 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-29-03, 02:42 AM
NEO GEO
Driver

Thumbs up

yea steviej, i thought the gas gauge was stuck or broke. anyway still if you calculate it into the high side (15 gal.) that's still 22 miles per gallon and i could live with that. as far as going from reg. oil to syn. and then back i know you could do this cause it was done in my dads car with no problems except when it started to leak with the syn. oil but then stoped when he went back to reg. oil. it's great that you don't have trouble with Mobile-1 and you are right about the cold start ups that is where i want my protection along with no viscosity breakdown. oh on that milage i would of gotten better yet if i would of driven the speed limit. on average i was cruising 80 to 90 but you wouldn't even know it.

NEO
Old 01-29-03, 12:02 PM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know people who use it in the USA, with great results. A lot of my hot-rod friends use Red-Line down here in Mexico City with great results. I personally use Mobil1 for my 99 RX AWD, and have had great results.

With regard to weights, I have experimented with different weights at the 8,000 foot altitude here. The 5W-30 really ate up oil, as did the 10W-30, plus the gains in MPG were no noticeable. I have used the 15W-50 and found the best performance.
Old 01-29-03, 03:33 PM
NEO GEO
Driver

Thumbs up

Thanks Lexmex for the info, sounds like you found the right oil for that altitude. where i live it's the highest city in Pa. which is somewhere around 2000 ft. so i don't know if i need the heavier weight. i guess there are pro's and con's no matter what oil you use but i'm one for a clean internal engine and viscosity, protection plays the biggest part for me. I need to try this Royal-P but still gathering infomation and will post results later this fall. NEO

Quick Reply: Royal Purple