Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Where is the starter and solenoid on-

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-03, 04:56 PM
92lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where is the starter and solenoid on-

hi everyone, i was just wondering where the starter and solenoid is located on my 92 ls400, i think its time to replace. thanks for your help,barry
Old 01-23-03, 05:39 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A BIG JOB.
The starter/solenoid is locate under the intake manifold. You can shine the flash light from the driver side of the intake to see the starter.
You have to remove the upper part of the intake(with throttle body), the intake manifold to get to the starter. Then you have to lift the car up drop the exhaust hanger and unbolts the transmission mount so you can use a long extension to get to the bolts(14mm) that hold the starter.
I recommend to take it to the dealer or shop that done this before. The labor will be around 5 hrs.
Old 01-23-03, 08:29 PM
92lexus
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks for the info VVT-i

Thanks for the info you gave me, im very confident i can take care of replacing the starter if i have to, I just finished putting on a new timing belt and all went well. I wish there were some way to check the starter and solenoid to see if they were going bad. When I start my car it seems to try and start and start over again, making kinda a whining sound, the weird thing is, I quickly turn it off and restart the car and all seems better that second time around. This ordeal has happened maybe 4 or 5 times in past month, I told my dad, who is a mech, and he said it may be the starter going bad. well thanks for the info and ill get to work.
Old 01-23-03, 10:36 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You may need to check the condition of the battery first. If the starter goes bad, all you hear is the click, click and click, and then it start up.
Old 01-25-03, 03:47 PM
disc108
Lead Lap

I had this same problem: unable to start the car on the 1st try but it would start up fine on the 2nd try. one morning, the car wouldnt start at all, but i would hear it cranking. when ur sure the car wont start, put ur car in park and rock it back and forth. then try starting it. itll most likely start up and itll most likely be the starter.
Old 07-19-08, 08:47 PM
teshere
Driver School Candidate

Default starter problem, whinning

1995 LS 400 140,000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agwq7j3eqP8

My Starter makes that same exact noise!!! but used to then make lound whinning sound then would start.

In Process of changing starter. I got it all back together(new plugs,gaskets,and belt while i was in there). Starter sounded the same??? (I may have forgotten to ground starter (w/nut on starter), so....ill be going back in? F@*&) but was still spinning and sounded same as before change.

I fear it may not be the starter itself??? HELP

HISTORY & SUCH
That weak spinning slow sound became worse over a few weeks. It makes that noise, for ever increasing periods of time, until the engine actually sounds like its turning over and firing.
On day i decided to change: car was taking for ever to start; also ABS and Check Engine lights both came on w/in seconds of each other...unrealted?

I dont suggest doing this job unless u have a real garage or sweet home setup. Not hard but time consuming.
Old 07-23-08, 01:23 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before undertaking such an enormous task, try something very simple. I had the exact issue with my SC. First crank, no go, just a whine or clicks. Would start up fine on second or third try. Worse in the mornings, usually started fine at end of day. take a brass brush or something equally rough and disconnect the starter power cable at the starter. Brush off all the corrosion and then reattach. I have not had the same problems in over 2 years.