Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Need help changing rear brake pads and getting rotors off...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-03, 03:05 PM
disc108
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help changing rear brake pads and getting rotors off...

I'll be changing my pads this weekend (99 GS300) and I need to know which bolts or how many to remove to get the caliper off. I also know my rotors are warped and I am planning to take them to get resurfaced. I've never done this before but it seems relatively easy and I'm mechanically inclined so I don't expect any problems. I've been browsing around online and a few things I've noticed are to make sure that the caliper does not hang by the brake line and that I should use anti-seize (whatever that is) on the inside of the rotor where it touches the hub when I put it back on and I should use Loctite on all the bolts on the caliper. Are there any things I should watch out for? The rotors are $8 each to be resurfaced and $50 for rear brake pads. $147 for a rear brake job is a bit too much.
Old 01-21-03, 07:18 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

if my memory is correct, you just have to remove 1 bolt for the rear caliper, small both, very easy.

the caplier may already stuck to the hub, so prepare to have the caliper bolt to force the caliper out (just a 10mm bolt, i don't know the exact size, your local auto part should know, cost for the bolt is like 50cents)

Anh
Old 01-21-03, 07:50 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

remove the pin and the hardware.
Use the big channel lock compress the piston(while the pads are still in the calipers).
Remove 2 17 mm bolts that hold the caliper.
If the rotor stuck on the hub, just tap it with the hammer or use 12 mm bolt and screw it in two of the pre-threaded holes on the rotor. You may need to adjust the emergency brake adjuster down if it too tight. You will see a rubber plug on the rotor, turn the wheel until the rubber plug is facing down. Then remove the rubber plug and get a flash light and you will see the star(adjuster) inside the rotor. Adjust it down a few clicks.
Old 01-21-03, 09:56 PM
disc108
Lead Lap

Originally posted by VVT-i
remove the pin and the hardware.
Use the big channel lock compress the piston(while the pads are still in the calipers).
Remove 2 17 mm bolts that hold the caliper.
If the rotor stuck on the hub, just tap it with the hammer or use 12 mm bolt and screw it in two of the pre-threaded holes on the rotor. You may need to adjust the emergency brake adjuster down if it too tight. You will see a rubber plug on the rotor, turn the wheel until the rubber plug is facing down. Then remove the rubber plug and get a flash light and you will see the star(adjuster) inside the rotor. Adjust it down a few clicks.

adjusting it down would be counter-clockwise? what is the purpose of adjusting that?

bananags,

what is the caliper bolt you are speaking of?

getting the caliper off doesnt worry me as much as trying to get the pad off/on and making sure everything doesnt fall apart.