Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Running Out of Gas with 5 Gallons in the Tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-13, 06:17 PM
fmm009
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Running Out of Gas with 5 Gallons in the Tank

I have a 1998 GS300. Car runs great 51 weeks/yr. When I go on a trip (vs. in town driving), the car "runs out of gas" after ~300 miles/12 gallons (@25 mpg). Car exhibits all the characteristics of "out of gas" with lunging, etc. until it stops running. Adding a gallon of gas gets me to the next gas station. At the gas station, tank only takes 11-12 gallons vs. 17 gallon tank capacity. Note: gas gauge in car reads 1/4 tank left -- so, correct reading.

Issue has happened twice so I gas up around 250 miles. However, on trip this year, ran out of gas at 190 miles -- luckily as I pulled into my driveway as returning home.

I think the fuel pump is overheating since only happens with constant 75 mph driving vs. in town, stop and go. Or maybe the gas intake hole(s) in fuel pump enclosure are getting blocked with sediment.

Lexus will not give me any prognosis only wants me to leave the car with my check book.

Given car is a '98 and issue only happens on annual long trips, I'd like to see if anyone has seen this issue or has a theory vs. turn over to Lexus to troubleshoot.

thanks
Mike

Last edited by fmm009; 09-15-13 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-15-13, 06:38 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Not to sound rude, but on your very first Post. You come on here and say things like this..and with facts not completely accurate makes me think you might be "Troll". You have understand there has been numerous people coming on her saying things like this on their very 1st post..and (Correction) the 2nd Gen GS has 19.8 GAL tank not 17 so I wonder if this Post is Legitimate at all.. But if you're really are someone with a Lexus and not "Trolling" us. Take your car to the dealer. In my years of ownership of many Automotive brands, Lexus Service has been the most honest and upstanding brand. (Next time try searching - Use the SEARCH BUTTON on the middle of the Web page). Good Luck
Old 09-15-13, 09:12 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Chances are the siphon line and / or the siphon valve inside the tank is not working properly or has vibrated loose...
Old 09-18-13, 07:08 PM
fmm009
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses.

I actually went to the Lexus dealership in Dallas, largest dealer in Texas.
Talked to the Service Manager about my problem and he suggested I query the Club Lexus forum as he had never heard of this problem, nor was I aware of the forum. Thus, this is a sincere query.

If a siphon line problem, wouldn't the problem occur under all driving conditions. I can drive the car in the city, with the gas gauge going to E.... filling up takes 16.x gallons. Its only when driving at a constant high speed (~75 mph) for ~300 miles that the car exhibits an out of gas condition.... and only takes ~12 gallons to fill take once I can get to a station.
Old 09-18-13, 11:12 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

the siphon valve depends on fuel flow to do its job, if it isn't working properly at times of high fuel flow rate, it may not do as good of a job, or if the fuel isn't sloshing from side to side in the tank, as turning on city roads, could have an effect on it too...
Old 09-18-13, 11:43 PM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Check for a blocked vent. As the gas gets fed to the engine, it has to be replaced by air. On short trips there is time enough for air to leak in between trips, but if you use it all in one go eventually the vacuum formed when the gas leaves is more than the fuel pump can overcome.

If it happens again, remove the fuel cap quickly and listen for a sucking sound as air rushes in.
Old 04-04-16, 08:31 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fmm009
Thanks for the responses.

I actually went to the Lexus dealership in Dallas, largest dealer in Texas.
Talked to the Service Manager about my problem and he suggested I query the Club Lexus forum as he had never heard of this problem, nor was I aware of the forum. Thus, this is a sincere query.

If a siphon line problem, wouldn't the problem occur under all driving conditions. I can drive the car in the city, with the gas gauge going to E.... filling up takes 16.x gallons. Its only when driving at a constant high speed (~75 mph) for ~300 miles that the car exhibits an out of gas condition.... and only takes ~12 gallons to fill take once I can get to a station.
O.P
Have u ever figured this out? I'm having the same problem with my GS400 I just picked up yesterday.

Left us stranded on the highway after driving 251 miles on a full tank.
Gas gauge read just under a half when it happened.

After having car towed it decided to start up again like nothing happened