Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

GS 300 OCV valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-13, 10:42 AM
coolbeing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation GS 300 OCV valve

I just replace all the components on the front end of the motor and after reassembly, It had a rough idle but sounded good once I reved up the RPM's. I took out the OCV valve, cleaned the filter (didn't really look dirty), I also cleaned the OCV valve and the interior chanel. Would the OCV valve cause it to run rough and barely want to start? The codes that came up were 1349 and a misfire in cyl 6. I reassebled and checked the coil and it is firing ok. The codes were erased by mistake and now I can't get it to crankover and run to regenerate the codes again. I found the OCV valve for $150.00 at the Toyota dealer but didn't want to change without knowing for sure. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-06-13, 07:18 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by coolbeing
I just replace all the components on the front end of the motor and after reassembly, It had a rough idle but sounded good once I reved up the RPM's. I took out the OCV valve, cleaned the filter (didn't really look dirty), I also cleaned the OCV valve and the interior chanel. Would the OCV valve cause it to run rough and barely want to start? The codes that came up were 1349 and a misfire in cyl 6. I reassebled and checked the coil and it is firing ok. The codes were erased by mistake and now I can't get it to crankover and run to regenerate the codes again. I found the OCV valve for $150.00 at the Toyota dealer but didn't want to change without knowing for sure. Thanks for the help.
I don't think the OCV would keep the car from starting... run rough, perhaps, but not start, I don't think so...

Something else sets that code and that is the valve timing not being set correctly...

I would pull the top timing cover and check your timing marks... there are two different ones, and if you got them wrong, could cause this issue as well...
Old 07-10-13, 06:29 PM
coolbeing
Driver School Candidate

I will double check the timing again on Friday afternoon. How do I verify that I have the crankshaft on the correct mark. I believe mine has 2. Should I pull cylinder 1 spark plug and verify the piston is topped out? I should have put a new belt tensioner also. The kit I had did not include the timing belt tensioner, just the pulley. I will replace it, this may be the cause of the timing jump.
Old 07-10-13, 09:38 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

if you are using the right most mark on the cam gears, use the right most mark on the crank gear... you should be able to use the timing marks on the crank pulley and not have to remove the pulley to see the timing pulley...
Old 07-13-13, 05:40 AM
coolbeing
Driver School Candidate

I just checked the marks and they are aligned properly. First mark on the crankshaft and the cam gears. The code I got was for the OCV valve and the misfire. I can't get the engine to start in order to get any new codes. any other suggestions?
Old 07-13-13, 06:48 PM
coolbeing
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate the help so far. All timing marks are in place. Could a pulley or VVTI be replaced in the wrong position? I did replace the OCV valve. There is spark at the plugs but acts like there is no fuel. I checked all fuse boxes for blown fuses. Not sure how to check the ECM. Not sure what to do. I will check and read some more tomorrow and maybe break down and take it to a dealer to figure out.
Old 07-16-13, 11:26 AM
coolbeing
Driver School Candidate

I ended up taking it to the dealer. Was told that the Crankshaft Position sensor was not working. Will update in a few days once I get the car back and drive it a while.
Old 07-16-13, 10:00 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

good to know... interesting though that there wasn't a crankshaft code as well...
Old 07-22-13, 07:38 AM
coolbeing
Driver School Candidate

The CPS did not help at all. He said it fired up and ran for 1 minute before returning to the original state. As it is turning over, it acts like it wants to start but won't. I am looking at replacing the VVTI gear to see if that helps. Is there a way to test for bent valves? I would do a compression test, but if the timing was off wouldn't it read the same?

Thanks,
Old 07-22-13, 07:51 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by coolbeing
The CPS did not help at all. He said it fired up and ran for 1 minute before returning to the original state. As it is turning over, it acts like it wants to start but won't. I am looking at replacing the VVTI gear to see if that helps. Is there a way to test for bent valves? I would do a compression test, but if the timing was off wouldn't it read the same?

Thanks,
Interesting issue... Dealer got it wrong, crazy!

Would be worthwhile to do a compression test, ,and yes, if timing was off, you would have some weird compression numbers, but you can learn a lot from a compression test, at least exclude some things at minimum...

If compression numbers are low across all 6, we can assume we have incorrect cam timing and / or bent valves. If they are all normal across all 6, we can rule that out. If we have 1 or 2 cylinders with low compression, then we can also assume bent valves and / or damage to the piston / rings.

Have seen a bad VVTI cam gear, car still started and ran... Are you sure you are looking at the correct timing marks? each gear has two - crank gear and cam gears, even harmonic dampener...
Old 07-22-13, 08:24 AM
coolbeing
Driver School Candidate

I took it to my local mechanic that had worked on it for the last several years. After the recommendation, I found out the owner sold the shop and does not work there anymore. Needless to say, I will not return there again.

I used the first mark on all three gears. The first mark on the cranskhaft is aligned with the zero and the first mark on each cam gear is lined up with the notch in the backer plate.
Old 07-22-13, 03:53 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

What happens when you rotate the engine so that the next set of timing marks are lined up?
Old 07-29-13, 05:45 PM
coolbeing
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
What happens when you rotate the engine so that the next set of timing marks are lined up?
when I turn it to the second mark, all 2nd marks on the gears line up also.

I took the VVTI gear off and rebuilt it. It appears that I did not align the VVTi gear with the tab correctly. Looks like I installed about 1/8" off and was not on properly. I replaced it correctly and the engine is now running but with a misfire in cylinder 1 and 5. Would these be a result of bent valves? I am dreading the answer. I see spark going thru a plug in indicator. Have no way to measure the current to see if it is sufficient.

"Would be worthwhile to do a compression test, ,and yes, if timing was off, you would have some weird compression numbers, but you can learn a lot from a compression test, at least exclude some things at minimum...

If compression numbers are low across all 6, we can assume we have incorrect cam timing and / or bent valves. If they are all normal across all 6, we can rule that out. If we have 1 or 2 cylinders with low compression, then we can also assume bent valves and / or damage to the piston / rings.

Have seen a bad VVTI cam gear, car still started and ran... Are you sure you are looking at the correct timing marks? each gear has two - crank gear and cam gears, even harmonic dampener... "

Just did a compression test and all cylinders were 192 to 200. I hope these are good numbers since they are pretty equal across all cylinders. Do you think 2 coils could of went out at the same time. I got about 160K on the car. The plugs and wires were replaced within 30K with lexus parts. Only thing I didn't change were the coils.
Old 07-29-13, 05:54 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

those are pretty good compression numbers, especially being they are all relatively equal... my freshly built motor was 210 across all 6, you aren't too far off...

2 coils could definitely be bad, might not even notice if one was partial, then the second one failed too...
Old 07-30-13, 12:48 PM
coolbeing
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
those are pretty good compression numbers, especially being they are all relatively equal... my freshly built motor was 210 across all 6, you aren't too far off...

2 coils could definitely be bad, might not even notice if one was partial, then the second one failed too...
I really appreciate the help. I have 3 coils, boots, wires and plugs to install today. I will let you know the outcome.

Quick Reply: GS 300 OCV valve