Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

2002 IS300 hesitation / shutter issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-13, 08:29 AM
omgmiiiike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 IS300 hesitation / shutter issue

Hey guys,
I am a former IS300 and IS350 owner but had left the Lexus team but am back with a 2002 IS300 automatic with 146k that I received in a trade as a daily driver.

Recently I've noticed around 3000-4000rpm the car has a lag as if the engine is revving but the car isn't really pushing forward any longer until it finally gets past this point.

I took a look at the MAF and the diode was covered in dirt, I cleaned it with electronics cleaner as other threads have recommended. To no avail, the vehicle performs a bit better but the lag is still there.

I merged onto a highway starting from a dead stop in 'D' and pressed the gas, the car shuttered for a second and backfired but not very loud; picked up speed and took off (as much as an IS300 could). This is the only occasion it made any noise.

I simply cannot determine whether it would be the transmission or the engine at this point, I'm looking for ways to trouble shoot it so I can point to either of them. One minute I'll lean toward the trans, one minute I'll point to the engine because of the possibility of plugs (which I'm sure haven't been changed) which is next on my list when I have the time.

Not sure if anyone else has ever run into this, but what are other ways I can try to determine the culprit?
Old 06-30-13, 01:47 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

It would be really helpful if you had a scantool to monitor the O2 sensors and fuel trims during the hesitation. It sounds to me like it is still a MAF issue. Once they get covered in dirt, it basically burns on, as that is all the MAF is, a hot wire that is cooled by incoming air. After cleaning, it can still have a burned on coat of dirt, causing issues. It would certainly also be beneficial to do a tune-up, with new fluids, filters, plugs, etc.. I have also seen issues with leaking valve cover gaskets leaking oil around the plugs and wires in the valley, causing issues under load.
Old 07-20-13, 02:58 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would start with the plugs. The valve cover gaskets mentioned above are a possibility. I had a set on my 95 supra so old and dry rotted when I pulled it out it just fell apart! It did not get to the point of oil spilling and getting into the plugs but I heard of this happening.