Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Please help. Control arm issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 07:47 PM
BenES300
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please help. Control arm issues.

Hello,

I recently acquired a 2003 Lexus ES300. The car is beautiful and runs great. However during my last oil change I was told that the control arm rubber pieces (I think they are the same as bushings) are cracking and would need to be changed. However they cannot change only the rubber pieces and have to change the whole control arm.

I was also told that this is not a cheap job. The manger of the service dept showed me what they found. The rubber pieces in the control arms have some cracks. He told me that there was no immediate danger but that I would eventually have to change them.

I have been getting quotes from $1200 (at some private mechanic shops) to $1700-$2000 at the dealership. Most of it is labor.

My car has 83,000 miles on it. Why is it that this happened?
Is this a common issue with Lexus'?
Is there a way in which I can change just the rubber pieces?
What will happen if I do not change the control arm and the rubber pieces end up getting completely worn out?

Please help me.

Thank you.
Old 03-26-13, 09:09 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Its pretty common for those bushings to show cracking... especially when the car is on the rack, and the wheels are pulling down on the bushings. Some cracking is fine, as long as the rubber hasnt separated, you should be fine. When they start to really give way, you will feel the play in the front suspension, and probably hear it as well. I would probably wait a bit longer..
Old 03-27-13, 06:16 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Small cracks in bushing are ok.
You have to jack up the car, pull and push at 12 and 6 o' clock of the wheel to see if there is any play.
You only have to replace the lower control arm if there is play.
Old 03-27-13, 07:03 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Both of those guys are correct...

Unfortunately it is a very expensive proposition to do them as the engine and transmission are in the way... Cracking I wouldn't worry about, when the bushing starts coming apart and/or there is play in the lower control arm is when you need to have them replaced...

Unfortunately, they don't merely wear due to mileage, that cracking is time related more than mileage...
Old 03-28-13, 12:54 AM
BenES300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RTIS250
Its pretty common for those bushings to show cracking... especially when the car is on the rack, and the wheels are pulling down on the bushings. Some cracking is fine, as long as the rubber hasnt separated, you should be fine. When they start to really give way, you will feel the play in the front suspension, and probably hear it as well. I would probably wait a bit longer..
The service manager at Toyota told me that it was not a pressing issue, that I might have to change them about a year from now. So I guess I am not worried right now. But when I found out the price it was just a concern for me.

Originally Posted by BDSL
Small cracks in bushing are ok.
You have to jack up the car, pull and push at 12 and 6 o' clock of the wheel to see if there is any play.
You only have to replace the lower control arm if there is play.
I am not sure which control arm they were talking about but I think they just looked at it visually and saw a few cracks. So as I mentioned just above here, I have some time before I have to change them.

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Both of those guys are correct...

Unfortunately it is a very expensive proposition to do them as the engine and transmission are in the way... Cracking I wouldn't worry about, when the bushing starts coming apart and/or there is play in the lower control arm is when you need to have them replaced...

Unfortunately, they don't merely wear due to mileage, that cracking is time related more than mileage...
I got the car used. The first owner was from Palm Desert in California. I think his son used the car later on and he was from near Phoenix in Arizona. I got the car last year and I now live in Arizona. I was told that the rubber can crack because of dry heat. It could have also been that someone might have been hitting a lot of potholes etc. I am pretty sure it is the first reason of the car having been in a dry weather for a long time. And yes they did tell me that it was a labor intensive job.

One more thing. What are rack boots? I was told that they had some cracks too and I would need to change them.
Old 03-28-13, 04:37 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BenES300
The service manager at Toyota told me that it was not a pressing issue, that I might have to change them about a year from now. So I guess I am not worried right now. But when I found out the price it was just a concern for me.

I am not sure which control arm they were talking about but I think they just looked at it visually and saw a few cracks. So as I mentioned just above here, I have some time before I have to change them.

I got the car used. The first owner was from Palm Desert in California. I think his son used the car later on and he was from near Phoenix in Arizona. I got the car last year and I now live in Arizona. I was told that the rubber can crack because of dry heat. It could have also been that someone might have been hitting a lot of potholes etc. I am pretty sure it is the first reason of the car having been in a dry weather for a long time. And yes they did tell me that it was a labor intensive job.

One more thing. What are rack boots? I was told that they had some cracks too and I would need to change them.

Rack boots are the accordion looking bellows boots that cover where the inner tie rod end attaches to the rack and pinion...

not a Lexus, but enough to give you an idea... I've never really had anyone be interested in changing them, cracked or not, unless you are already doing tie rod end work. Not to say its not a good idea to keep them in good condition - they prevent dust and dirt from getting around the end seals of the rack and the inner tie rod end. Unless they physically have holes in them, I wouldn't worry whatsoever.

Also, those lower control arm bushings may go well more than a year and never have issues...
Old 03-30-13, 07:43 PM
BenES300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Rack boots are the accordion looking bellows boots that cover where the inner tie rod end attaches to the rack and pinion...

not a Lexus, but enough to give you an idea... I've never really had anyone be interested in changing them, cracked or not, unless you are already doing tie rod end work. Not to say its not a good idea to keep them in good condition - they prevent dust and dirt from getting around the end seals of the rack and the inner tie rod end. Unless they physically have holes in them, I wouldn't worry whatsoever.

Also, those lower control arm bushings may go well more than a year and never have issues...
Thank you so much Mitsuguy for the reply. My left rack boot has a bit of oil on it. That is why they recommended that I change it. Some mechanics have told me that, that is somewhat of a bandaid treatment. They are saying that if there is some oil there, then one of the seals might be leaking a little bit hence eventually I will need to change the rack and pinion. They quoted me some extremely exorbitant amount for changing the rack and pinion.

Some other mechanics are telling me that since there is not a lot leaking, that I could change the boot and that it will get me another 3-4 yrs or more before I have to change the rack and pinion. Even changing the boot is an expensive job.

I am utterly confused. It seems that if I keep going with it the way it is right now, I am not going to be adversely affected, but I figured I would make a change if I had to since I have to get my wheels aligned after that job and my wheels need aligning anyway.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-30-13, 09:13 PM
CA300h
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This below is what we replaced on my friends old 2003. Search for rack boots es300 Lexus on ebay. Out here in CA (or AZ), you will get more life out of your boots (rack, CV, whatever) if you liberally shoot some spray Silicone on them during your regular oil change. I did this on all my VW's, and it worked great. If you have it done at the dealer, just ask them to have the tech do this, or crawl under there and do it your self.

The spray Silicone will also work for you if you do it now, while they are cracked to extend their lifetime.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-ES300-...38249b&vxp=mtr