Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

father/son build - help would be appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-13, 09:01 AM
Daddy0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default father/son build - help would be appreciated.

Hello all.

My son and i have built a Lexus powered drift car:
1990 Mazda RX7 GXL
all stock '96 SC300 2JZ-GE engine and harness - '96 auto ECU
W58 5 sp trans with ACT street strip clutch kit
walbro 255lph fuel pump
header and corksport exhaust
lots more parts...we've replaced everything but the body.

Anyway, we have the car running, idles well and revs fine in the garage...but when we drive it, it has very little power. I can barely turn the tires, and that's not good for drifting!!
anyone got any ideas why?

Here's the rub: OBD2 scanner will not read from check connector, and I have no CEL because of swap, and wiring diagram shows no CEL wire output from ECU. If I could find out what wire(s) from ECU are CEL, I could put a light on it and use CEL code(s) to diagnose what my issue is. All 3 o2 sensors are present, and it cold starts and idle smoothes out to 700 after warming up.

anyone want to try to help?

Daddyo
Old 01-29-13, 02:53 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Uhh...O_O

I am gonna guess the issues lie with the ECU. You are running a manual trans and an auto ECU. that right there is bound to create havoc. The computer thinks its supposed to be shifting a transmission...

Other than that, on something like this I pretty much have to have been part of the build in order to understand what it is you are getting at, as well as codes.

I could suggest check your fuel pressure, among other things but you said the engine is stock (i am assuming you got it as a long block, with heads, injectors and fuel rail attached) as such your fuel pressure is fixed and/or controlled by ECU so...

You sir, have stumped me. And that is hard to do. O_o
Old 01-30-13, 03:31 AM
Daddy0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news!
I have been trying to figure this out for quite a while now, and of course as soon as i ask for help I get it.

I had not yet done the basics. When we changed the plugs, I looked at the dist cap and it looked ok so I didn't change it. BUT, after doing everything under the sun to fix this "weakness" we decided to change the cap and rotor just to be sure it was in perfect shape, along with the fuel pump and filter. the rotor finally arrived yesterday and when I pulled the old one out, the entire contact end was burnt off.
Started it up last night and it melts tires with ease...how important are the basics...such an easy mistake to make. i should have known better!!

thanks,
Daddy0

BTW I was a motor vehicle Operator in the USMC for a couple of years with specialty in vehicle recovery

Last edited by Daddy0; 01-30-13 at 03:33 AM. Reason: felt like it