Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Timing belt kit from local auto parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-12, 10:02 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing belt kit from local auto parts

Quick question have anyone bought/used timing belt kit replacement? I have a 98 Lexus ls400 with about 146k miles and I want to get mine replace. I know I should probably go with oem brand such as aisin but its just never really have a weekend off to do such job that require quite some time and this weekend is my weekend off finally so was thinking instead of ordering aisin timing belt kit online, I can just go to like oriley and get the kit there. Before doing that I wanted to see if anyone used it before is it good etc. cause from my understanding my motor is interference and it belt snap, motor will be done and cost lots to repair, which is something I do not want. All inputs much appreciated thanks in advance
Old 12-15-12, 01:52 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

they are fine... generally just s good as oem... Gates would probable be the best of aftermarket options...

usually the kits dont have a hydraulic tensioner, and many times, they cannot be reused...
Old 12-15-12, 06:39 AM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply, ill go ask today and see what they have and what it comes with if turn out to be more etc then I mind as well just order and do the job when have another weekend off.
Old 03-21-13, 04:15 PM
acuratechv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A thing to watch out for especially if you're just an occasional diyer is many aftermarket companies dont put timing marks on belts. It does not make a job impossible or difficult, but enough to stress some people out.

Also many Gates parts such as rollers have NOK bearings ... same as you get from Toyota. Just different packaging and lower tag.
Old 03-21-13, 04:24 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by acuratechv
A thing to watch out for especially if you're just an occasional diyer is many aftermarket companies dont put timing marks on belts. It does not make a job impossible or difficult, but enough to stress some people out.

Also many Gates parts such as rollers have NOK bearings ... same as you get from Toyota. Just different packaging and lower tag.
I have never seen timing marks on belts, whether OE or aftermarket... Not sure how that would work anyways, the timing marks are always on the cam gears, crank pulley, etc...
Old 03-24-13, 11:05 AM
acuratechv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and because you have never seen it it's impossible or illogical ? timing marks on a belt eliminates possibility of error by a diyer , inexperienced technician or simply someone who is in a rush to get the job done which is just about everyone in the automotive industry. align the marks on the belt with the marks on the gear and be happy...

Nissan , subaru and lexus exercise this method quite often, maybe other manufacturers too but I don't touch domestic or European makes
Old 03-24-13, 11:26 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I've got three OEM Lexus/Toyota belts in my garage, as well as a handful of performance and regular aftermarket belts, the only markings on any of them are the ones I put there for rotation direction...

If someone can't line up timing marks between the gears and their respective marks on the motor, perhaps they shouldn't be doing a timing belt to start. Looking on the net, I do see a few OEM belts out there with marks, but from what I've seen, they are the exception, not the norm...