Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

About to Hang Myself

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-12, 01:42 AM
lilprince
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default never mind

Please help me I'm stump on this one
help fix all my family and friends car with no problems what so ever lol now come to my own and the can figure it out WTF
CAN OF WORMS

2001 GS430
I'm Replacing Valve seals, Cam seals, Valve cover gasket, Crank seal, T-belt,water pump, T-stat, Bearings, Tensioner, Plugs

Ok so I set to TDC and then I took everything apart

Then took the Right head (passenger side) valve seals and cam seal put both cam back in line up the two sprocket to the single Dot side by side .. put t-belt cam gear back on its at TDC so cool

Now did the Left head (Driver side) valve seals and cam seal put both cam back line up to the two sprocket to the double Dots .... put t-belt cam gear on and its like 180 degrees off TDC tried manually turning the cam but it only turn an but then binds I know its an interference engine i do have the Right cam at T mark and the crank turn to the idler bearing bolt but I cant get the Left cam to get to the T mark where did I go wrong can anyone help me out Thanks

Last edited by lilprince; 12-05-12 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-22-12, 06:50 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lilprince
Please help me I'm stump on this one
help fix all my family and friends car with no problems what so ever lol now come to my own and the can figure it out WTF
CAN OF WORMS

2001 GS430
I'm Replacing Valve seals, Cam seals, Valve cover gasket, Crank seal, T-belt,water pump, T-stat, Bearings, Tensioner, Plugs

Ok so I set to TDC and then I took everything apart

Then took the Right head (passenger side) valve seals and cam seal put both cam back in line up the two sprocket to the single Dot side by side .. put t-belt cam gear back on its at TDC so cool

Now did the Left head (Driver side) valve seals and cam seal put both cam back line up to the two sprocket to the double Dots .... put t-belt cam gear on and its like 180 degrees off TDC tried manually turning the cam but it only turn an but then binds I know its an interference engine i do have the Right cam at T mark and the crank turn to the idler bearing bolt but I cant get the Left cam to get to the T mark where did I go wrong can anyone help me out Thanks
You have to move the crank to something other than top dead center in order to turn the cam on an interference engine... so, turn the crank 30-50 degrees, then try turning the cam again... once you get the cams close to where they are supposed to be, turn the crank back to tdc..
Old 11-22-12, 11:23 AM
lilprince
Rookie

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
You have to move the crank to something other than top dead center in order to turn the cam on an interference engine... so, turn the crank 30-50 degrees, then try turning the cam again... once you get the cams close to where they are supposed to be, turn the crank back to tdc..
I did try that the cam does the same thing it turns an bit and binds thats why im so confuse about this
Old 11-22-12, 11:58 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

try turning harder, you shouldn't be able to bend valves, chances are you are just turning against the valve springs, which can feel quite hard...

and if you turned the crank too far, then you could have valves interfering in a different cylinder...
Old 11-27-12, 12:57 AM
lilprince
Rookie

try turning harder, you shouldn't be able to bend valves, chances are you are just turning against the valve springs, which can feel quite hard...

and if you turned the crank too far, then you could have valves interfering in a different cylinder...
ok so i got everything to TDC and T-belt on so i turn the crank but when i get the crank to about 45 degrees it binds up then took off timing belt back off stuck an extension in the spark plug tube and turn crank where it is goes to the middle of the cylinder and turn the cams but it binds up about to go get and gallon of gas and some matches soon

Last edited by lilprince; 11-27-12 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-27-12, 02:53 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

you are either still fighting cam spring tension or engine compression... so long as its all lined up,, turn harder
Old 11-27-12, 06:12 PM
lilprince
Rookie

you are either still fighting cam spring tension or engine compression... so long as its all lined up,, turn harder
ok so i took out one cam and turn it an revolution intake cam ok the tried exhaust cam and it binds took out springs from the one that it was binding up on and reinstalled it now turn freely hopefully this does the trick
Old 12-05-12, 04:01 PM
lilprince
Rookie

ok i figured it out it was just valve spring keeper not really seating right just had to remover and reinstall it want it moves freely now up and running now Thanks