Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
Old 12-15-14, 03:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Lexus Maintenance Recommended Schedule

Old 11-27-02, 06:18 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Lexus Maintenance Recommended Schedule

LEXUS MAINTENANCE RECOMMENDED SCHEDULE

Every 3,750 Miles:
Oil and Oil Filter Change

Every 30,000 Miles:
Radiator Coolant Flush/Change
Air Filter Change
BG MOA Oil Additive
BG 44K Fuel Induction Additive

Every 60,000 Miles:
Transmission Fluid Flush/Change
Spark Plugs Change/Tune-Up
Brake Fluid Flush/Change
Power Steering Fluid Flush/Change
Fuel Filter Change
Battery Check/Change

Every 90,000 Miles:
Timing Belt Change

Every 1 Year:
Exterior Wax/Detail
Interior Leather/Wood Cleaning and Conditioning/Detail and Carpet Shampoo
Wiper Blade Inserts Change
Old 11-28-02, 11:23 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am curious as to who is your reference or source of this schedule.

The maint. schedule suggested to me replaces trans. fluid as part of the 15, 45, 60, 75, 90K, etc mile service. (Lexus of Norwood) Granted this could be to bump up the cost.

I believe the Lexus manual suggests not adding any additives to the oil. This is supported by several syndicated radio automotive talk shows.

Personally I am not familiar with BG MOA. Is that similar to SLICK 50 or Z-MAX? I have never put much faith the those snake oils.

What is your interval or time recommendation for oil and filter if synthetic is used and if long life AF/coolant is used?
Old 11-29-02, 09:22 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

My Toyota dealer swears by the BG Products:

http://www.bgprod.com

I would not add any crap bought at "Pep Boys" etc., but I trust my Toyota dealer on this issue. BG MOA is used by many quality dealers and i don't think you can buy it at an auto parts store. it's quality stuff and not like the snake oil crap. My Toyota dealer does all of the service on my ES300 and they add the BG products for me.

This list was derived from the Lexus car manual, the Toyota dealer's printed schedule, and the Lexus delaer's printed schedule. I removed all of the overkill and "fluff" and boiled it down to what I thought was the primary things needed to be done at reasonable time frames. I also spoke with a few mechanics which aided me in compiling this schedule. I thought it would be helpful to you all to cut/copy/paste it somewhere for your own reference as it is clear and concise.

As far as synthetic oil, I do not use it nor have I fully reasearched it, so I would not want to comment on its interval. My fear with LONG INTERVAL CHANGE synthetic oil was not so much the breakdown of viscosity but the DIRT and DEBRIS that accumulates in oil - regardless of synthetic or not - that's why I just use regular oil and change it often. Same thing with coolant. The oil/coolant may be long life, but what about the buildup of debris/crud/dirt??? You need a change regulalrly to flush that crap out. "Good" oil/coolant with crud/debris (tiny metal specs) swimming around in it is not good. I like clean fluids.

I have a 1995 ES 300 with 115,000 miles on the clock and it's running like a top. I've owned it personally for 5 years and 85,000 miles.

I would consider moving the transmission fluid flush/change from 60k down to 30k, but 15k is way too soon in my opinion. Since your mileage may vary, this is tough to pin down exactly.

Last edited by Gekko; 11-29-02 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-29-02, 10:35 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on my sc400 i do the full tranny flush and fill not just drain a fill.
I do a full fluid change on my car every 20k miles.

tranny,
diff,
transfer,
tranny pan gasket,
fuel filter,
radiator,
engine flush,
synthetic oil,
injector cleaning,
air filter,
plugs and wires every 30k miles.
and never over 3000 miles between oil changes. Thats every month for me =)
Old 11-29-02, 01:47 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Thank you both for your input.

I swear by synthetic oil. I'm in Boston, MA and I find the synthetic stays more liquid longer at lower temperature. Winter is hell here. I had a supercharged Bonneville before the ES300 and changed it every 3000k. I will probably go 4-5k with the ES. The dealer states 5k with conventional oil. My understanding of synthetic oil was that it also helps reduces the amount of dirt and debris build up due to reduced friction.

I hear you on the coolant, but for now I don't wnat to break warranty or give the service manager any reason to not cover a coolant problem if one should arise under warranty. I do alot of city driving/stop and go/heavy traffic so I will probably stay with the 15k tranny flush at the dealer as part of their schedule.

sj
Old 12-01-02, 08:33 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Any comments, DevilDog??

My dealer (for over 10 years) has gradually increased the amount of "dealer recommended" service in the years that I've been taking my cars to them. On my GS, they automatically change the diff oil and change trans fluid every 15k miles unless specifically instructed otherwise, whereas my owner's manual calls for diff oil change every 30k and tranny fluid change every 60k (and only if vehicle qualifies under "special operating conditions", ie, driving on rough/muddy/snowmelt covered roads, dusty roads, salted roads, extensive low speed operation or trailer/car top carrier use).

When questioned, answer I was given a mumbled mixture of "because of the temperature extremes we get here" and because Lexus will be more likely to cover a problem outside of the warranty period.

DoubleD, I realize it's NOT your (or any other tech or service writer) decision but rather, the dealership's instructions to the Service Dept. Seems like the car owners are getting the hose, though. What's your take on this??
Old 12-01-02, 11:09 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my opinion...

I really wish Lexus HQ would make all dealers follow the same maintenance schedules. This way an owner could go to any dealer and get the same thing. An owner could also pick a dealer by it's professionalism, courtesy given and pricing. There is nothing wrong in going to a dealer and saying "Put away your maintenance schedule, this is what I want, what's your best price?". If you do at least the minimum required maintenance, and can prove it. They will not deny a warranty repair due to lack of maintenance. Even now with the oil gelling problem with ES300 and RX300. Lexus is only asking to show proof of at least one oil change per year. To all of us, we would never subject our cars to that kind of neglect. But so many people do. On a side note, the oil gelling problem is caused by the owners. It's not a defect in the engine. Lexus is doing something that no other car maker will do. Even if your engine fails from lack of maintenance, we will fix it.

On the other hand, I can't believe lexus would say to change your trans fluid at 60k. I think they are recommending service based on the life expectancy of the fluids your changing. I would never wait 7,500 miles to change my oil. By then it's as dark as can be, and filthy. Same with the trans fluid, at 60k that fluid would be badly burnt and be filled with clutch material. I don't understand the reasoning. But many owners feel that dealers are ripping them off based on this schedule.

Both the General Manager and the Service Manager are heavily involved in the dealerships maintenance menu. Some dealers try to always sell the full package everytime, and some just push the "no-frills" package. Yes the dealer is trying to make money from you. But so is Jiffy lube, gas stations, and the independents. In the end it's up to you and don't be afraid to say to the dealer "This is what I want, what's your best price?". You might be surprised.

DD
Old 12-01-02, 11:40 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Default Comments on this UPDATE?

LEXUS MAINTENANCE RECOMMENDED SCHEDULE

Every 3,750 Miles:
Oil and Oil Filter Change

Every 30,000 Miles:
Radiator Coolant Flush/Change
Air Filter Change
Transmission Fluid Flush/Change
BG MOA Oil Additive
BG 44K Fuel Induction Additive

Every 60,000 Miles:
Spark Plugs Change/Tune-Up
Power Steering Fluid Flush/Change
Fuel Filter Change
Brake Fluid Flush/Change
Battery Check/Change

Every 90,000 Miles:
Timing Belt Change

Every 1 Year:
Exterior Wax/Detail
Interior Leather/Wood Cleaning and Conditioning/Detail and Carpet Shampoo
Wiper Blade Inserts Change

Last edited by Gekko; 12-01-02 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-01-02, 02:27 PM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

steviej - I got my ES from Herb Chambers (lexus of Norwood); however, every 15,000 miles for tranny and diff fluid! That is nothing short of a money maker, period. My last truck was a F350 Powerstoke diesel from ford with the sucky e40d in it. Even ford only said every 15 for severe service and 30 for normal (99% of drivers).

I use Amsoil in my es and do the 1 complete drain with filters per year and also (1) oil filter at 6 months. I have done that in my old truck which was mint at 80,000 miles, my 1994 gsxr1100 from day 1 (now has 15,000 miles on it) and now my lexus. Have oil results to prove it the oil works

This is not to say Amsoil is the best; but, I have had excellant results from the stuff.

The collant is green (or lexus uses dye in these regular type) in older ES's. So it is change/ flush every 2 years or 30K. If you convert to long time or dexcool it is every 100K or 5 years.

Last edited by mburnickas; 12-01-02 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-01-02, 03:20 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

I purchased my '02 ES at Lexus of Norwood, also.

My coolant is red, I remeber the window sales stating it is long life coolant. I think the book says 60k or 60 months (not sure)

I like the synthetic oil (Mobil 1), used it on e the last car with very good results too. I will be putting more aboout 7,500 miles on the car in 6 months so I will opt to change every 4k miles.

I know you are right about the tranny fluid and diff, I will most likely skip the 30k and wait till the 45k and go every 30 from there.

thanks,
sj
Old 12-02-02, 02:06 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

2 questions/comments:

1. Do you really feel it necessary to change plugs at 60K? Will it really help performance?

2. Please check on which coolants are okay to add? (Don't read more into this than what I'm saying. Okay?) I was on another site where a discussion of antifreeze was going on. I was gonna change mine to Dexcool. Several "knowledgeable?" people told me that I shouldn't change to Dexcool because it would cause harmful effects to my coolant system. "They" said that you should only use Dexcool type coolants in vehicles that were initially designed for them. ANyway, they convinced me to stay with the Red Toyota and Distilled Water. (I am not saying this is 100% correct, just relaying what I was told, okay?)

DD, input please?
Old 12-02-02, 06:37 PM
mburnickas
Pole Position

steviej - Cool. They are really nice at Norwood. Yes, you are correct with the red collant in the 2002. I would assume that lexus / toyota changed in 99 or 2000.

I changed my tranny fluid/filer and diff fluid in 1 hour. The dealer want $199 for it. I said yea right. The OEM filter was $33 with gasket shipped to my house and the fluid was around $7 per qt. I will do it every 50K miles unless it seems burnt.

If you are using Mobil 1 I would changed it at least every 7,000 miles. Hell, the book says I think 7,500 miles.

gebo : I will change my plugs at the dealer, there is NO way I am doing it, between 60 and 70,000 miles. I guess the manual says to chnage for emisson reason that is it.

You can convert BUT you need to get rid of ALL the older colant in the system. I mean ALL of it. It will kill the seal and the water pump if not.

I would stay with what you have now unless you are going to keep the car till it dies.

If you have an older lexus with regualr EG collant it is green. Lexus uses regular EG collant in these older cars and they just ADD a red dye. This is per what lexus told me.

I am going to use Fleetrite: ethylene glycol (EG) collant in my car. This is what I used in my diesel. I use this because it has low silicates in it. High Silicate formulas is that they tend to deposit all sorts of stuff in your radiator reducing the flow and the efficiency of thermal transfer. These deposits are the black and white stuff when you take the rad cap off. I have used in in all my diesels and gas cars, trucks, tractor, and motorcycle. The rads look brand new when I flush them. It cost a little more, about $1, then the high Silicate formulas (ie, prestone yellow can, etc).

Last edited by mburnickas; 12-02-02 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-03-02, 12:18 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

mburnickas - a little secret about Lexus of Norwood. Schedule all your dealer service for first thing on Saturdays, the buffet is kickin.
Old 12-03-02, 07:34 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

steviej - Nice

I like them so much I drive over 1.5 hours to get there. I live in the opposite direction. There are worth it. I gave them a list of all the stuff I need done. I want to make sure they can do it all in (1) day. Not driving home then back. Spend the day in B town or something.
Old 08-09-15, 04:07 PM
longdrive
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I know this is an old thread. I came across it while googling maintenance schedules. Two obvious things that I don't see on your list are brake pads and tire rotation.

The ES 300 owners manual supplement for my '97 says to rotate the tires every oil change. Seems overkill to me. I try to do it every other oil change. (Rule of thumb based on adhoc things I have been told by people I don't remember. Not gospel.)

The manual does not offer a replacement time for brake pads but says they should be inspected every 5k miles along with other components.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus Maintenance Recommended Schedule