Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

help with dealership

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-12, 05:03 PM
Diabolus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with dealership

I'm not really sure on where to post this, but I'm looking for some advice on how to handle some problems I've been having with a dealership.

We purchased a CPO 2010 IS250C from a Lexus dealership, roughly 50 miles from our home.

The condition of the car was good, but there were a few items we asked the dealership to fix or take a look at. The following is the list of items we asked them to fix:
  • 3 of the tires were brand new Goodyear tires, but one was an off brand tire. We asked them to replace the one tire.
  • The weather strips between the hardtop pieces were showing signs of cracking. We asked them to replace the weather strips.
  • The reclining motor on the passenger seat was starting to make clicking noises. We asked them to replace the motor.
  • It appeared that the mid-section of the hardtop roof was repainted and that the body shop had over sprayed onto the passenger side window molding and that the molding had razor cut marks. We asked them to replace the passenger side window molding and to color sand the paint that had orange peel.
  • There was a small tear in the leather / vinyl on the back cover of the driver seat. We asked for them to fix the blemish.

When we dropped off the car on Tuesday and the service tech indicated that we could get the car back in a week. After a week passed, we called to follow up and was told that the car wouldn't be ready until Friday. On Friday, we drove to the dealership to pick up the car. We took the car home, but then noticed that they fixed some of the items, but also made some of the items worse.
  • The hardtop was completely scratched up. It appeared to look like a failed color sanding attempt.
  • The orange peel around the antenna was worse than it was before.
  • The weatherstrips between the hardtop panels were installed incorrectly. The adhesive was showing.

We took the car back the next day and spoke with the sales manager that helped us originally. He agreed to repaint the section of the hard top that was scratched and replaced all of the weather strips again. They gave us a loaner car again and told us that it would take another week for them to complete the repairs. They also offered to drive the car to us instead of us driving to them.

A week later we received the dealership delivered the car to us and at first everything seemed good. The paint was good, the weather strips were good and all was well...until a week later when we decided open up the convertible top...we noticed that there were two push plugs were missing that held two panels in place (one on each side of the car). We also noticed that seat belt buckle attached to the passenger seat was dangerously loose...and then the rear deck where the backseat headrests were started to rattle pretty loudly. We called up the sales manager that helped us and he had a porter come down to pick up from us. This time, he said it would take about a day to address our issues. Two days later, he calls us back and tells us that our car is ready and that he will deliver the car to us.

We get the car back and the rattling noise was fixed as well as the clips and the seat belt...all was good until we looked in the backseat and noticed two deep indentations on the backrest of the backseat. It was as if somebody had pressed a dull object into the seat. We also noticed that there was a small tear on the back of the passenger seat that wasn't there before either. I called the sales manager and spoke to him and he said to send the car back and that he would fix the two marks and the tear. He indicated that he could swap out the back panel and massage the leather to make the indentations disappear. We agreed to his proposal. I later get a call from him telling me that the technician said the small tear was there and that the indentations were caused by the windscreen being in the back seat. And that somebody (presumably us) reclined the seat onto the windscreen which caused the tear and that the weight of the windscreen caused the indentation. This time, he said the repair would only take a day.

The next day we received the car back and noticed that not only did the dealership swap out the panel on the back of the passenger seat, they swapped the entire passenger seat and the back interior with another IS. We immediately noticed that the passenger seat leather was in worse condition than our original seat. The "new" seat appeared to show more signs of wear. The lower bolsters had noticeable size cracks / lines and the one of the upper bolsters looked like it was ostrich skin, but really bad looking...

...so after a month and a half of all of this and only being able to drive the car for about 13 days we just don't know what to do anymore. Unfortunately, we didn't take very many photos of this car. ..does anybody have any suggestions?
Old 08-31-12, 05:52 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

that is a real tough one... it sounds like the manager that you have been dealing with has been very accomidating to all of your requests, so that is a good sign... start taking pics of the car now to show the difference in the seats... i'd give him a call again and address your concerns about the 'new' seat... albeit, it looks like the major concerns you had with the car (paint) has been resolved, i would also be annoyed with a mismatched seat in a car i just bought... see what he says and if he can do anything to help... the car is CPO for a reason, and you pay extra money to have that option...

another option, if you are tired of having to send the car back to the dealership and being without the car, you could try to clean and condition the leather seat yourself... this may 'brighten' it up a bit so it can match the driver seat... i'd try a treatment of leatherique... cracks in the bolster are normal and dirt will only amplify the 'ugliness'... if you clean it properly, they usually look good as new... i have this problem in my car with the Ivory colored leather... also because you have the 'vert, having the top down and the sun beating on the seats will punish the leather... so have some protectant on there...

good luck and let us know how you go...
Old 09-04-12, 03:15 PM
Diabolus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply KamLung.

...I just got a call from the dealership to tell me that one of their porters crashed the car into a truck's tow hitch...
Old 09-04-12, 07:03 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Diabolus
Thanks for the reply KamLung.

...I just got a call from the dealership to tell me that one of their porters crashed the car into a truck's tow hitch...
jeez... can't catch a break at that dealership huh... maybe time to find another!
Old 09-05-12, 10:42 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Time for them to buy it back. Seriously. This does NOT sound like a CPO car