Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

2000 Lexus GS400 Ignition Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-12, 01:27 AM
goin247
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Lexus GS400 Ignition Problem

Just about everytime I go to start the car i have to turn the key aprox. 10 - 20 times till it will turn over. I have noticed that if i pump the gas a little it doesn't take quite as many turns of the key. I was thinking that it could be the fuel filter maybe clogged or my ingition may be going bad. I do however hear the fuel pump charging when I turn the key. It has been doing this for the past year and a half and can't figure out what it could be, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James
Old 06-24-12, 05:58 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I am assuming it doesn't even crank when you turn the key? That tells us it isn't the fuel filter or fuel supply system...

Your problem lies in the starting circuit, which, starts with the ignition switch behind the key, goes through a relay or two, on to the starter itself. It also relies on the car being in park, so the neutral safety switch also has an influence.

Is there any click or anything when you turn the key, or is it just nothing? Time to get out wiring diagrams and start testing...
Old 06-25-12, 03:47 AM
goin247
Driver School Candidate

Default 2000 Lexus GS400 Ignition/Starting Problems

Thank you for replying back to me. This has been an issue for me for the past year or so. Car runs great once it is started. When I turn the key it will make a clicking sound. It is so frustrating because I have a toyota dealership right down the road but they refuse to handle and lexus issues n the nearest lexus dealership is 2 hours away. My remote broke away from my key n had to drive 2 hour in order to have a new one cut cuz toyota would not do it.

Thanks again for you help,

James
Old 06-26-12, 03:42 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Stater solenoids are common on these cars.It's not cheap to replace them either because they are underneath the intake manifold. Labor hours are gonna be $$$
Old 12-28-12, 08:39 AM
credle89
Driver School Candidate

im having a problem with my 98 gs4 first it was the starter it was clicking then one day it try to start up on its own without my key so my dad and i replace starter the problem went so i thought about a month the problem came back a neighbor came and got me saying your car doing something crazy so i went out and it was trying to crank over so i unplug the battery it stop i plug it back up nothing started the car then shut it down it started to crank over on its own without my key being in the ignition can this be a ignition problem everyone telling me to replace my ignition switch because i have 261000 miles on the car
Old 12-28-12, 11:51 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by credle89
im having a problem with my 98 gs4 first it was the starter it was clicking then one day it try to start up on its own without my key so my dad and i replace starter the problem went so i thought about a month the problem came back a neighbor came and got me saying your car doing something crazy so i went out and it was trying to crank over so i unplug the battery it stop i plug it back up nothing started the car then shut it down it started to crank over on its own without my key being in the ignition can this be a ignition problem everyone telling me to replace my ignition switch because i have 261000 miles on the car
I would first check to make sure no one has ever in the cars history installed or attempted to install any sort of aftermarket alarm or remote start... Usually a foreign looking box and wires underneath the drivers side console or in the kick panel...

If its not that, I can only assume that the ignition switch is bad... never really heard of that (that wasn't alarm related) on a modern car...
Old 12-31-12, 12:56 PM
Jbush
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by goin247
My remote broke away from my key James
Hi James,

You mentioned your remote broke from the key. I guess, your transponder chip of the key is not too close to immobilizer ring when you try to start the car. You have to replace your key shell to solve this problem. You can start your car with key in the remote part close to immobilizer ring (ring around the key)

J Bush