Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

2002 LS430 noise is driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 02:29 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2002 LS430 noise is driving me nuts

Here's a recording of a strange and annoying noise I have in my 2002 LS430, 123k miles. Its a rattling clunky metallic sound that is most evident at higher speeds, when I'm just barely coasting, my foot has to barely be touching the throttle, not even enough to maintain speed. At lower speeds I can still hear it its just not as loud. Been noticeable for at least 4 months. I can make the noise happen so it is not random or intermittent. Car has NEVER thrown a CEL. In the video it is easily discernable in the first 20-30 seconds and also the last 15-20 seconds. Ignore the sound of the keys on my keyring bouncing around.

I've had the heat shields removed from the y-pipe and the pipe is ok. I've cleaned the MAF, the TB, the trans has been fully flushed with Amsoil, new WP, TB, pulleys, plugs, and transmisson mount. Engine runs well, no loss of power or sluggishness anywhere but I do sense a slight engine knock, not sure if its related. I have run a good fuel system cleaner though it several times recently. Several techs have looked at it and most can't tell what the problem is or shake their heads while saying one of the cats is probably bad. Somehow I doubt that. With the car running on the lift the noise can't be duplicated.

Old 05-02-12, 01:52 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Sounds like one of your heat shields is loose, since the car has heat shields on the exhaust manifolds that are (somewhat) easily accessible, I would start there.

EDIT: does it do it with the car in park or neutral? or only in a driving gear?
Old 05-02-12, 09:11 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

He already mention he removed the heat shield.
Old 05-02-12, 11:00 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

I've had the heat shields removed from the y-pipe and the pipe is ok
From the y-pipe...not the headers or cats.
Old 05-03-12, 02:32 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Sounds like one of your heat shields is loose, since the car has heat shields on the exhaust manifolds that are (somewhat) easily accessible, I would start there.

EDIT: does it do it with the car in park or neutral? or only in a driving gear?
I'll have another look at the manifold shields, however with the car in park or neutral the noise does NOT occur. That's what leads me to believe its in the driveline.
Old 05-03-12, 07:15 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

It may not be, the drivetrain vibrates differently in gear than it does at idle. In park or neutral the engine is fre to idle with no resistance. That's why it builds revs faster than it would in gear. Put a load on the motor and the vibration frequency might just hit that sweet spot between the designated RPM's. I see this a lot.

Also, I am running through my head the things in the driveline that can rattle (only at certain RPM's you indicated) and NOT cause driveability issues...and I can't think of anything off hand. Torque Converter's sometimes rattle internally, but it causes a really crappy driving experience in the process, U-joints on driveshafts clunk but don't rattle, and If your rear diff is rattling at all, there are big problems .

All roads point to heat shield or something that's loose.
Old 05-03-12, 09:27 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Put it on a lift and start tapping all the heat shield see if they are loose.
Old 12-19-12, 01:36 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Turns out it was a bad driveshaft center support bearing.
Old 07-02-13, 06:30 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Well after 18 months I still have this noise and its even worse now. It occurs all the time, even at idle I can hear it. It's quite noticeable when parked if I hold @2100 rpm, and it's really annoying at highway speeds. I thought it was the driveshaft center support bearing but it wasn't. That was a different noise. This noise seemed to fade a bit after changing the motor mounts 8 months ago but reappeared after a couple weeks. I had the car on a lift and thoroughly inspected everything, it sounds like the noise is internal and coming from within the bell housing area or rear of the motor. Any ideas? Y-pipe is new, cats are inspected and good, and resonator assembly is good too. Here's a better audio clip:

Old 07-06-13, 07:21 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

how do you know the cats are good? there could be a piece of the catalyst rattling around inside that you wouldn't necessarily be able to see unless you literally cut the cat apart...

not saying that is what it is, but it is something that is hard to eliminate, period...
Old 08-26-13, 11:48 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
how do you know the cats are good? there could be a piece of the catalyst rattling around inside that you wouldn't necessarily be able to see unless you literally cut the cat apart...

not saying that is what it is, but it is something that is hard to eliminate, period...
I had the y-pipe replaced and at the same time we checked the insides of both cats, they look great. This noise is now to the point where it is constant, regardless of speed, but only really under little or no throttle, not under medium or heavy throttle.
Old 06-28-14, 11:48 PM
Jsmceleoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever figure out this problem? My 02 LS430 is doing the same thing. Have not been able to figure it out. I thought it might be a tensioner pulley on the timing belt but I haven't had it checked out.
Old 07-30-14, 05:57 AM
Alex76
Driver School Candidate

Default Same problem

Hi! I have exactly the same noise. But in my case it is very low but the same. It happens when I leave the gas pedal at a normal highway speed. I think it is related to transmission...
Next week I'm doing a deep cleaning of the automatic transmission (with a specific machine) and an oil and filter replacement. If there is any change I'll tell you.
Any other idea?
Thank's.
Old 08-31-14, 08:27 AM
Alex76
Driver School Candidate

After doing the auto transmission cleaning and the oil replacement (Toyota ATF T IV), the noise is no longer audible.

Transmission cleaning and ATF oil refilling process

Last edited by Alex76; 08-31-14 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-22-14, 03:25 AM
Alex76
Driver School Candidate

:-(
Sorry to say that the noise was again audible ... Very very low but audible again... ¿? Any suggestion or idea???

However, the transmission is very smooth. :-)

Quick Reply: 2002 LS430 noise is driving me nuts