Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Tips for dealing with Lexus service and warranty claims

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-12, 10:48 AM
Cerulean
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for dealing with Lexus service and warranty claims

I have a service appointment at the Lexus dealer this weekend to have someone look at issues with the navigation screen on a Lexus I just purchased (see https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...on-screen.html for more on the problem). I don't have much experience with Lexus service. I bought my first Lexus from the dealer where I am going, but I did not have my service done there. I did not buy my new (used) Lexus from them, but it was purchased there when it was new (one previous owner before me). Does anyone have tips for dealing with them? I'm especially concerned they are just going to say my screen issues are normal wear and tear, but I don't think that is reasonable based on the age of the car, the condition of the screen in my husband's Lexus (which is 4 years older), and what people on CL are saying (most say that their screens don't have the issues mine does). All advice welcome!
Old 04-02-12, 09:01 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How did the appt go? Did they agree to address the issue under warranty? If not, try another dealership - maybe they will be more helpful.
The anti-glare coating (I assume that is what it is) may be categorized as normal wear and tear (unless there is a known issue with that coating or the way it was applied to your car - TSB)
Old 04-02-12, 09:27 AM
Cerulean
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jj14
How did the appt go? Did they agree to address the issue under warranty? If not, try another dealership - maybe they will be more helpful.
The anti-glare coating (I assume that is what it is) may be categorized as normal wear and tear (unless there is a known issue with that coating or the way it was applied to your car - TSB)
The service advisor said the manager has to look at it. They are supposed to call me today. The service advisor didn't seem encouraging. He said the large wear spots looked like someone had lotion with alcohol or something in it on their hands. I still think they shouldn't be so fragile but not sure I have much leverage, and there is no other dealer nearby. If they won't replace it, I am going to ask them if they will remove the rest of the coating so I can then just apply a screen protector. The way it is now is very distracting. I've read about people doing it themselves with products like PlastX, but that makes me nervous. Thanks for asking.
Old 04-02-12, 11:06 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Generally, Lexus wont repair items like this unless corporate gets involved. If the dealer were to replace the screen, the part is then recovered by warranty, and if they get it back and it looks like this, they wont reimburse the dealer for the repair. Then the dealer eats the repair, and they definitely arent going to take that chance. Unfortunately it looks like someone either had sharp long nails, or used a harsh lotion. Ive seen this before, and its not Lexus' fault, nor is it their responsibility to fix it. They may get corp involved and offer you a split on the repairs. Generally, corp wants to see you have a service history with the dealer, so they know you dont just come to Lexus for warranty repairs and do your services elsewhere. Good luck on the repair, Lexus may step up due to the age of the car.
Old 04-10-12, 12:37 PM
Cerulean
Driver School Candidate

I made my third trip to the dealer today (met with SA first time who bumped me to manager for second visit who had me come today to meet with some factory rep), and they are going to replace the navigation system. They can't just replace the screen. She said it was more wear and tear than would be expected for the car age (2010) and mileage (26K). I think it helped that this is our third Lexus, which shows our brand loyalty. She also wanted to know if we typically service our cars at the dealer, which we don't. She said she hoped this would encourage me to do so in the future. I am very pleased and will definitely put a screen protector on the new system as soon as I get it.