Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Bad smell from AC

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-02, 01:05 PM
2k1GS3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad smell from AC

Does anyone else have this? I think it is a mildew type smell that is only there briefly coming directly out of the vents when a turn the car on. It goes away quickly, --but for that brief moment, it is BAD!
I assume that I will have to take it in to get addressed, but I thought I would ask if anyone else has experienced this?
Old 10-17-02, 01:42 PM
kapdori
Lead Lap

try to take the ac filter out of behind of your glove compartment, and shake the dirt. If not you need to replace the filter.
I think BananaGS has DIY to replacing the filter with cheaper homedepot product rather than paying too much from dealer.
Old 10-17-02, 03:46 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default musty smell

Is due to the bacterial (mold and mildew) buildup/growth primarily on the vanes of the A/C evaporator. When you shut the car down after using the A/C all day there will always be a thin film of mositure left on the surfaces of these vanes, about 10,000 sq inches in the case of the 92 LS.

This moisture, combined with the airborne "food" that gets through the pollen filter and the cool dark (50-70F) of the A/C plenum provide a perfect breeding ground for mold and mildew.

Lexus tries to "mask" the smell of the bacterial "outgassing" by always operating the A/C thereby keeping the A/C vanes coated with a thin film of moisture. But as you have noticed you still get the horrid mold and mildew, dirty gym sock smell/odor, when the system first starts up, before the A/C evaporator cools enough to condense moisture out of the incoming airflow.

Lots of answers elsewhere, search for "odor".
Old 10-17-02, 04:55 PM
Jack McNeal
Driver School Candidate

I think everyone with a GS has this problem. I took mine to the dealer 2 years ago, and they used something that smelled like wintergreen (YUK!) to deodorize the system. It worked. The service manager told me to disable the recirculation mode every time it switches on automatically, and the smell would not return. It worked. Good luck.
Old 10-17-02, 07:14 PM
2k1GS3
Rookie

Thanks for the info! I did the search and still want to know what is the best fix. Other than replacing the A/C filter ala home depot, I guess I have to bring it to the dealer for service, yes?
Old 10-17-02, 07:37 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default device

Spraying a chemical into the airflow intake is only a temporary fix, it will kill off the bacterial but multiple "rinse" cycles will wash the chemical away within a month or so. In 92 Lexus coated the A/C evaporator with an anti-microbe chemical that didn't even last for one full season.

Have a look at:

http://www.airsept.com/eed.html

for a possible long term solution.
Old 01-03-03, 07:44 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess if you got the tools....you can do this fix yourself.

https://www.clublexus.com/Informatio...0/ac001l01.pdf

Peter
Old 01-04-03, 12:15 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this seems to be a very common topic in multiple Lexus models.
Has anyone reported this to Lexus.com?

I suggest everyone bombard their FAQ site with questions on foul smelling odors from the AC. Include all the filter changes and deoderizing spray attempts you have made as well as trips to the dealer.

I do not hear of other manufacturers having this problem. Sounds like it is a mult-model design flaw. Toyota and Lexus must share common AC parts (condensors, evaporators, etc). Anyone also own a Toyota and smell this crap?????

I can't help but wonder if the mold or mildew is just run of the mill or the non-healthy variety.

sj
Old 01-06-03, 02:28 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Does not matter how much chemical you pump into the AC, it WILL come back. The only proper fix is to get rid of the smell by some antibacteria spray like limsol (spell)

then, to prevent smell to come back, always (try to) leave the car using outside air (setting on the AC unit) every night (ie when you get back home from work)

the smell is from mildew and bacterial grow due to moisture trapped inside the air system, by allowing outside air circulating the system over night, you keep the system dry and bacteria free ==> no smell.

get it ;-)

Last edited by BananaGS; 01-06-03 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-07-03, 04:54 PM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some Lexus dealers by where I used to live in D.C. area, had a special that would clean out the mildew, but the cost was about $119. I just spray Lysol in there, and eventually it kills it.
Old 01-08-03, 11:55 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://pub11.ezboard.com/fforum43415...icID=378.topic

www.dwd2.com
Old 01-15-03, 02:14 PM
lig
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The recirculation tip works. Try going with "fresh" air unless you really need the recirc mode and that should work just fine.

After that - replace the filter and use Lysol and you're golden.
Old 01-15-03, 07:47 PM
Brad681
Driver School Candidate

I did notify lexus.com, basically they offered to talk with my dealer for me...that I can do. At last service the dealer sprayed something called "fridge fresh" into the system vents, worked for a very short period of time.

I've been trying some of the ideas gleened from this site, keeping system in "auto" mode, running fan only for a bit before shutting down and tilting open my sunroof at night when I remember, to let any additional moisture evaporate. Problem isn't completely solved but is definitely getting better. Thank goodness.

Open to any other ideas. Good luck.
Brad
Old 01-16-03, 02:05 AM
Lexus of Manhattan
Lexus Dealership

I had the problem in my '01 GS with only 14,000 miles on it, the quick fix of an A/C filter changed remedied the problem.
Eddie
Old 01-16-03, 11:21 AM
Brad681
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for that suggestion. I wouldn't have figured the filter needed replacement within the first year and my dealer hadn't suggested replacement or even brought up the subject for that matter. Good to hear others have found replacement to be helpful and that it was needed within first 20K. That'll be my next step. Thanks again.
Brad

Quick Reply: Bad smell from AC