Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Drivetrain Noise on Coast to Stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-11, 01:16 PM
markzystra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivetrain Noise on Coast to Stop

Lately I've been hearing a noise when coming to a slow stop, either light braking or coasting. Also hear it a bit on acceleration from a dead stop. It has the sound of something in the power train, like rear end, driveshaft, etc.

I first thought it may be tire tread noise, but I've ruled that out. It has a similar sound that increase or decreases in pitch when accelerating or coming to a stop. Difficult to describe, but somewhat of a humming or rubbing sound.

It's a 2002 GS-300 and it has always run great. Bought it new and have never had it in the shop, but now with 87,000 miles on it starting to question its health. This noise has me a little concerned about developing into something worse. Hate to take it to the dealer and don't know a good independent mechanic I would trust working on it.

Aside from this it runs well as ever with no transmission slipping or other noticeable problems.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 07-25-11, 01:46 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Can be wheel bearing or brake components....

If you are not mechanical inclined, and you hate taking it to dealership, and don't know any good independent mechanic, why would you trust some random forum members? We can tell you millions of possibilities but at the end of the day, you will have to either check the car yourself or take it to a mechanic.
Old 07-25-11, 07:22 PM
markzystra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BDSL
Can be wheel bearing or brake components....

If you are not mechanical inclined, and you hate taking it to dealership, and don't know any good independent mechanic, why would you trust some random forum members? We can tell you millions of possibilities but at the end of the day, you will have to either check the car yourself or take it to a mechanic.
Actually, I am quite mechanically inclined, and skilled in more disciplines than auto repairs. The post was intended to get some feedback on the likely problem. That's all. It's not a matter of trust or lack of. I've received several generous, helpful comments in this forum in the past. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here.

Thanks for your response.