Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-11, 10:42 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I FOUND THE PROBLEM..its just a heat shield that broke off from the screws due to rust build up..ok so
do u know how much is the part and labour if i get it changed @ lexus shop..and also can i get it changed @ a local muffler shop? thankshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIZE5tTTM3s
Old 11-26-11, 07:10 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Probably don't even have to worry about it... most of those heat shields are not really important at all... just look and make sure there are no fuel lines, brake lines or electrical connections in that area, and if not, you are good...
Old 11-26-11, 08:15 PM
imherenow
Racer

well i cant leave the heat shild hanging otherwise that noise will just keep coming ..so can i zip-tie it to a nearby rod or something then? (at the end of the video there is a rod a brownish looking that runs sidewaves ..do u know what is that rod..i was thinking to use zip-tie it to it..
Old 11-26-11, 08:19 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by imherenow
well i cant leave the heat shild hanging otherwise that noise will just keep coming ..so can i zip-tie it to a nearby rod or something then? (at the end of the video there is a rod a brownish looking that runs sidewaves ..do u know what is that rod..i was thinking to use zip-tie it to it..
Sorry, I read it as if it had come off completely... I would just unbolt it if it is unimportant as I noted earlier, or, yes, a few zipties would work too...
Old 12-18-11, 12:08 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got one doozy of an electrical problem. Everything on my car worked perfectly before this, not a single warning light or nothing. The car is a 1998 SC300. So here's what's up. I was driving down the road, and suddenly my P/S goes hard (much harder to turn the wheel), my speedo quit working (but everything else on the gauge cluster is working), the ABS light is on, no windows, no memory seat function, no sunroof, the ACC signal that i'm using to turn on my amp/carpc doesn't work (which i spliced from my power antenna), and the shift lock solenoid will not engage/disengage (i can't shift out of park even with the brake depressed, i have to use to overdrive button).

All of that quit working at the same time, so they have to be related, i just can't figure it out. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-18-11, 12:15 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by pieisgude
I've got one doozy of an electrical problem. Everything on my car worked perfectly before this, not a single warning light or nothing. The car is a 1998 SC300. So here's what's up. I was driving down the road, and suddenly my P/S goes hard (much harder to turn the wheel), my speedo quit working (but everything else on the gauge cluster is working), the ABS light is on, no windows, no memory seat function, no sunroof, the ACC signal that i'm using to turn on my amp/carpc doesn't work (which i spliced from my power antenna), and the shift lock solenoid will not engage/disengage (i can't shift out of park even with the brake depressed, i have to use to overdrive button).

All of that quit working at the same time, so they have to be related, i just can't figure it out. Thanks in advance!
All of those things should be controlled by the body control module...

I'll look it up when I get to work tomorrow, but I would bet money the fuse for it is blown, perhaps something wrong with it completely...
Old 12-18-11, 02:51 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you so much man! I really appreciate the help.

I'll do a little researchin on my own about this BCM....
Old 12-24-11, 11:23 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Somewhat similar thing happened to me on my IS350. It was a blown fuse. I had spliced power from the mirror to run my radar detector but I never installed an inline fuse. About 4 yrs later the radar detector cord shorted out the system....it was a ***** to figure out why it happened because at the time I hadn't messed with anything.

So ya, check your fuses. That many things wrong has to be a fuse. I'd start with any circuits you have tampered with, such as the one running your car amp.

Originally Posted by pieisgude

Old 12-26-11, 06:38 AM
jamiec
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@Mitsuguy......I have the parchment colored interior and did not purchase the interior protection package. I'm niticing that this color is easily stained as I wear jeans to work daily. My jeans are several years old, so old I would think they couldn't stain snow! Anyway, is there a product you could recommend to apply to the seats (without staining them) or the name of the product the dealership uses when you purchase the protection package? I think the dealership offered the interior protection at about $700, not sure if what they offer is any better than after market products.
Old 12-26-11, 03:29 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by jamiec
@Mitsuguy......I have the parchment colored interior and did not purchase the interior protection package. I'm niticing that this color is easily stained as I wear jeans to work daily. My jeans are several years old, so old I would think they couldn't stain snow! Anyway, is there a product you could recommend to apply to the seats (without staining them) or the name of the product the dealership uses when you purchase the protection package? I think the dealership offered the interior protection at about $700, not sure if what they offer is any better than after market products.
Have you been putting anything on the interior? Generally, the dryer leather is, the less likely it is to discolor... here's the problem - the dryer it is also means the more it will crack... somewhere in between is what you want... for leather, I've always used Lexol... my father buys it by the gallon for horse saddles... we use the conditioner only, but the cleaner is supposed to work well also...

i really have never had any interior issues, so its hard to say for me what will fix a problem...
Old 01-02-12, 07:29 AM
Bdubs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a way to adjust the automatic volume control on the base radio? It doesn't seem to much of anything.
Old 01-02-12, 07:38 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Bdubs
Is there a way to adjust the automatic volume control on the base radio? It doesn't seem to much of anything.
Most likely not, would guess it does more than you imagine - its supposed to be transparent to the end user... Could probably give you a little more info if you let us know what car it is, and if it has the normal stereo or an upgraded (Mark Levinson or similar) system...
Old 01-03-12, 06:40 AM
Bdubs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Most likely not, would guess it does more than you imagine - its supposed to be transparent to the end user... Could probably give you a little more info if you let us know what car it is, and if it has the normal stereo or an upgraded (Mark Levinson or similar) system...
Sorry for the lack of details. It is 2011 RX 350 with the base radio. I have been into the dealer and they acknowledged it is a common complaint. It seems to compensate in the 0-30mph range but falls behind above that and at highway speeds you really have to manually raise the volume quite a bit. I think Lexus falls behind on this one, my Infiniti has a wide range of adjustment to the ASL you can set.
Old 02-04-12, 03:45 PM
imherenow
Racer

hi guys i had a ques. U know that wipers when turned on they go all the way to top and come back down. Is there anyway to have the wiper move a bit further when its all the way to the top. Like for example the wiper goes beyond 90degree. like say 100 deg. i want to have it go maybe 110 deg. Is there some adjustment in the motor or in the arm itself? hope you understood what i m trying to say. ..
Old 02-04-12, 10:10 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by imherenow
hi guys i had a ques. U know that wipers when turned on they go all the way to top and come back down. Is there anyway to have the wiper move a bit further when its all the way to the top. Like for example the wiper goes beyond 90degree. like say 100 deg. i want to have it go maybe 110 deg. Is there some adjustment in the motor or in the arm itself? hope you understood what i m trying to say. ..
No way to do it conventionally, about the only thing you might be able to do would be to adjust its start position up 10-20 degrees, but then it doesn't really cover the entire bottom part of the windshield, nor retract as far as it should...

Quick Reply: Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)