Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-11, 12:22 AM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nav issue

2007 is250

can anyone one tell me what i should do about this. all i did was unhook the battery to the the nav hack mod ...where you can use the file options in motion. hooked the battery back up and everything works but the nav. i cant use any of the nav buttons on the right side of the unit and the screen says whats shown in the picture. i took out the tv1 fuse already and put it back in didnt work and i ejected the disc and reinserted it and that doesnt do anything. i beleive my nav disk is 10.1

any sugeestion dont want to go to the dealer and get beat in the head on a price for something simple as a reset or something
Attached Thumbnails Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)-lexus-nav.jpg  
Old 05-22-11, 06:42 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonester
On the coolant reservoir cap, there is a t-connector. There is an overflow hose that is connected to the radiator on one side, but there is nothing connected on the other side of the T. What is supposed to be connected there?
Nothing - that is for if the reservoir gets completely full (think severe overheat), the excess coolant has somewhere to vent to (the ground)
Old 05-22-11, 06:43 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by radiohound
hi:

have an engine hesitation/cutting out problem that's driving me nuts and making the car undriveable.

Car starts and idles just fine. Revs in park like crazy. Under load, at about 1500 rpm it just cuts out, like I am turning the ignition switch on and off ... I can ease up on the throttle and it comes back ... but it makes the car pretty much undriveable. Recent plugs, wires, timing belt, CPS, and #2 cam sensor.

So far, I have changed the #2 coil, fuel pump relay, coolant temperature switch, cleaned the throttle body, which was pretty foul ... but it is still cutting out ...

any help would be appreciated.

thanks
pm me at radiohound@aol.com

frank
any check engine or warning lights? sounds a lot like a cam or crank sensor going bad, or the ecu itself...
Old 05-22-11, 06:47 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by sean9975
hi, my 97 sc300 turns over hard but doesnt start. i think its fuel related but not sure. how do you check the codes? and and what do i look for when checking if the fuel pump isnt getting power? thx.
Codes probably wouldn't help anyways...

start with spark first - pull a spark plug wire, crank it and see if there is any spark... if there is spark, then go for fuel... easiest way at home to see if you are getting fuel without any real tools is to simply pull the fuel supply line and see if fuel is pumped out with the key on / cranking...

to actually see if its getting power, bust out the voltmeter and go straight to the pump - its located on the fuel tank which is between the back seat and the trunk...
Old 05-22-11, 06:51 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by ncfx
96 SC400. New Timing belt pulleys Dist & rotors plugs & wires, Water pump Runs like a Champ. CEL code TO340 - Weak cam sensor signal - The sensor checks good. Any suggestions to turn off CEL. Thanks very much for any help.
How did you check the sensor?

If you are getting that code, there are a few possibilities

1) bad cam sensor
2) faulty wiring
3) faulty ecu

the fact that it is working at all makes me believe the ecu is ok... I would say you probably have an intermittent loose connection for the sensor, or the sensor is going bad intermittently... have you tried clearing the code? how long / when does it come back? if it comes back immediately, I'd go ahead and replace the sensor, if it takes some time to come back (think rough roads, etc), I would check every connection (pretty sure only at the sensor and the ecu) and ensure they are free of corrosion and seated properly...
Old 05-26-11, 05:46 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Was there ever a recall for the ecu for the 92 models like there was for the 95-96 model? Seems like in third gear when you stay around 40ish it feels like at times the brakes are hit some. I have read that was a ecu issues for 95-96 models. I have completely drained and pushed thru new fluid and replaced the filter. I really don't feel it on overdrive.
Old 05-26-11, 07:34 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Was there ever a recall for the ecu for the 92 models like there was for the 95-96 model? Seems like in third gear when you stay around 40ish it feels like at times the brakes are hit some. I have read that was a ecu issues for 95-96 models. I have completely drained and pushed thru new fluid and replaced the filter. I really don't feel it on overdrive.

Not the brakes... I would bet what you are experiencing is a hesitation caused by fouled plugs or something along those lines... check plugs, wires, cap/rotor if applicable...

partial throttle stuff usually ends up being wires/plugs...
Old 05-26-11, 07:39 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Not the brakes... I would bet what you are experiencing is a hesitation caused by fouled plugs or something along those lines... check plugs, wires, cap/rotor if applicable...

partial throttle stuff usually ends up being wires/plugs...
I have changed the plugs and wires last year. Not rotors or caps.

Its just a odd sudden slow down when you stay around 40. Comes and goes.

Will have to look into caps.

thx
Old 05-26-11, 07:41 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
I have changed the plugs and wires last year. Not rotors or caps.

Its just a odd sudden slow down when you stay around 40. Comes and goes.

Will have to look into caps.

thx
I've said it probably a thousand times on here, just because its new doesn't mean its good...
Old 06-01-11, 09:06 AM
ef8sir1988
Driver School Candidate

Default New code please help

So I just got a new code. This is what I have tried to do to fix. I've replaced all plugs. I swapped injectors and coilpack onto opposite location and a compression check on all cylinder they were 150 all across. But I keep on getting the misfire on cylinder 8 only after driving above 80 miles for more than five minutes. Today I just got a p0430 code. So I'm hoping my cats not bad. But I need to fix the misfire before changing that cat any help would be very appriciated. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by ef8sir1988
Hi I have a 99 ls400 with a p0308 cylinder 8 misfire code. It only triggers when I drive past 80mph. I've read many article on this forum and tried. Many different searches but none has helped. I've swapped coilpacks and measured the ohms on the injector and its all the same. It also has a slight shivering when I start the car in the morning. I was thinking about changing out that injector still hoping it is clogged. Do you think this would be a good idea or any input you might have. Thanks in advance for any help
Old 06-01-11, 05:28 PM
ncfx
Driver School Candidate

The Mech checked sensor with VOM. I had him replace sensor - End of Problem. Having worked years in Electronics I knew this was not reliable way to check sensors. It was intermittent. Once again Thank you very much and smooth sailing.
Old 06-07-11, 02:48 PM
sean9975
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Codes probably wouldn't help anyways...

start with spark first - pull a spark plug wire, crank it and see if there is any spark... if there is spark, then go for fuel... easiest way at home to see if you are getting fuel without any real tools is to simply pull the fuel supply line and see if fuel is pumped out with the key on / cranking...

to actually see if its getting power, bust out the voltmeter and go straight to the pump - its located on the fuel tank which is between the back seat and the trunk...
it was the MAF. Thx!
Old 06-15-11, 03:33 PM
petersc400
Driver School Candidate

Got a concern with the AC on my 94 sc 400. It may be coincidental but after I replaced the PS pump and Alternator (yes, waited too long) when I run the AC it seems that i feel a bit of vibration through the steering wheel when the engine is warming up (and the AC is on); the vibration then goes away (although there is still some noise) but when I slow down at a stop light or just slow down to 15-20 mph it seems a bit noisy (kind of groan or labored sound) and it feels like something is "pulling" slightly through the steering wheel. It's not so noticeable when the car is moving at speed (45 mph+)
It does not do this when the AC is off-- car runs normal. I've checked the compressor (the system blows cold) and it seems to be working fine with no leaks; the ac clutch seems OK, so I'm at a loss. This is not normal to my car as it has worked effortlessly and quietly up until now. The car has 72K miles on it.
My mechanic seems to think it COULD be the fan unit getting old and tired but ????
Old 06-17-11, 12:41 PM
Tnmtnviews
Driver School Candidate

Default Engine surge after charging dead battery-98 Lexus CL

Someone rolled the window of my car up and left the key in the ignition on so after charging the dead battery on my 98 Lexus CL the engine surges at idle and when under a load. We have checked the alternator and the battery and cycled the ignition to reset the alarm....HELP!! Any ideas?

Old 06-23-11, 05:33 AM
budhayes3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tnmtnviews
Someone rolled the window of my car up and left the key in the ignition on so after charging the dead battery on my 98 Lexus CL the engine surges at idle and when under a load. We have checked the alternator and the battery and cycled the ignition to reset the alarm....HELP!! Any ideas?

The engine ECU may have lost memory and needs to relearn idle. Try running the car in P or N, and hold the idle up around 1500-2000 for a few minutes, then do the same with the AC on. If that doesn't work, I used to just drive em like I stole em for a few minutes (ex Toyota tech), and that would usually allow the ECU to relearn. There was a recent Lexus Tech Tip that also mentioned cleaning the throttle body (any part store sells throttle body cleaner), as carbon builds up and clogs the IAC passages. Plus, it's always good maintenance to clean the throttle body every 12-15k or once a year

Quick Reply: Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)