Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)

Old 08-20-11, 10:01 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

oil dipstick is all the way in?
Old 08-20-11, 02:52 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil

Yes. I checked the oil dip stick.
Old 08-20-11, 03:22 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
The first trouble I had is it didn't start on the first attempt. But started ok on the second.

On the idle. It surges. Sitting at a red light. You can see the Tach drop 800 to 600. And the Air Conditioning fan output will drop off. Then come back. Or some times it just stays at 600. And the car hesitates when you take off.

On driving down the street. You can tell it doesn't have the power. Before if you stepped on it hard it would just go. Now when you step on it. It revs up high. But at the first transmission gear change. Settles down.

On cleaning the carbon on the throttle plate. Is that the same as cleaning the IACV on the older RXs? How do you get access?
Correct... On most drive by wire vehicles, if not all I think, the throttle plate is used to control idle instead of a secondary idle air valve...

all sorts of things could be causing this issue, but anything I can think of should turn the engine light on, if not immediately, after a couple of drive cycles where the problem occurs... Chances are, if you were to hook a scantool to the car, it would show a pending code or two that would give you some related information...

Aside from that, all I can really do is tell you that there are a lot of things that can cause this issue, from a dirty throttle plate to a vacuum leak to bad spark plugs, etc...

I'd really take it to Lexus before doing anything to ensure that what you are doing doesn't void a warranty on whatever really is the issue...
Old 09-17-11, 02:56 AM
Baaku
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people want to lower the cars, I want to raise mine given the potholes and terrible roads here.

Question: on a 2008 IS250, if I increase the tire radius (from the standard 225/45-17 to A 225/55-17 OR 235/55-17), will it trigger the TPMS system so that changes in tire rotation speed will set off the system? What problem, other than change in the odometer will I have.

As an aside, I've done this before on my G35 w/o incident. It takes a 215/55-17 and now I have a 245/50-18 on the rear.

Thanks is advance.

Isa
Old 09-17-11, 05:50 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Baaku
Most people want to lower the cars, I want to raise mine given the potholes and terrible roads here.

Question: on a 2008 IS250, if I increase the tire radius (from the standard 225/45-17 to A 225/55-17 OR 235/55-17), will it trigger the TPMS system so that changes in tire rotation speed will set off the system? What problem, other than change in the odometer will I have.

As an aside, I've done this before on my G35 w/o incident. It takes a 215/55-17 and now I have a 245/50-18 on the rear.

Thanks is advance.

Isa
In all current versions of TPMS (since 2007/2008 for sure), tire size and diameter has nothing to do with the TPMS system. Older systems were based on rotational speed of the tires, but at the same time could be easily calibrated for whatever size tires were installed on the car...

Nothing to worry about, so long as your new tires fit without interference...
Old 09-17-11, 01:57 PM
Baaku
Rookie

^^^ Thanks so much!
Old 09-18-11, 09:08 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Baaku
^^^ Thanks so much!
Any time!!!
Old 09-21-11, 08:53 AM
Gate
Pole Position

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...elt-slack.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ttachment.html

It doesn't matter if you post your help for me on this thread or these ones, but i posted these two with little luck making progress, except one guy is trying to help me on the belt one. Got any tips?
Old 09-21-11, 02:11 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Gate
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...elt-slack.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ttachment.html

It doesn't matter if you post your help for me on this thread or these ones, but i posted these two with little luck making progress, except one guy is trying to help me on the belt one. Got any tips?
Sounds like your belt is too long... When measuring tension on a belt that has a spring loaded tensioner, you dont measure deflection, instead yoy measue how much force is needed to produce deflection... It may just be normal too, depending on what your tensioner looks like exactly...

Is the check valve you are talking about located right beside the charcoal canister?
Old 09-21-11, 02:54 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Sounds like your belt is too long... When measuring tension on a belt that has a spring loaded tensioner, you dont measure deflection, instead yoy measue how much force is needed to produce deflection... It may just be normal too, depending on what your tensioner looks like exactly...

Is the check valve you are talking about located right beside the charcoal canister?
Thank you about the belt, I'm sure my tensioner is fine, I think I'll go to autozone and have them let me look at a new belt, take out mine in the parking lot, compare them, the car should be fine for the ride, only one performance related issue (stalls when radio or ac is turned on sometimes) BTW MY TENSIONER ARROW LINES UP A WHOLE INCH PAST THOSE THREE 12:00 TALLY MARKS, WTF?

Anyways, i'll take care of it later.

As for that one way passage device, that little plastic piece, yes, it is supposed to be inserted in between two points on one of the hoses leading out of the charcoal canister, the one closer to the windshield. Is air supposed to flow towards the canister in that hose, or away from it? That should let me know which direction the little plastic piece should face.

One moooore thing, Jackiee! I finally figgered owt the top vsv hose routing (there was a diagram on the hood, *ouch*) but i cant figure out the hose routing underneath that vsv. the vsv nozzles point towards the left of the engine. the two nozzles below it face the windshield, one on the left and one on the right. One should be attached to a hose leading to the smaller of two nozzles on the plastic intake piece conected to the throttle body, the other should be connected to a hose that leads to a nozzle about an inch above the icv. do you know which is which? It can only go one way or the other, i just dont want to screw it up

Last edited by Gate; 09-21-11 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-21-11, 06:26 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Thank you about the belt, I'm sure my tensioner is fine, I think I'll go to autozone and have them let me look at a new belt, take out mine in the parking lot, compare them, the car should be fine for the ride, only one performance related issue (stalls when radio or ac is turned on sometimes) BTW MY TENSIONER ARROW LINES UP A WHOLE INCH PAST THOSE THREE 12:00 TALLY MARKS, WTF?

Anyways, i'll take care of it later.

As for that one way passage device, that little plastic piece, yes, it is supposed to be inserted in between two points on one of the hoses leading out of the charcoal canister, the one closer to the windshield. Is air supposed to flow towards the canister in that hose, or away from it? That should let me know which direction the little plastic piece should face.

One moooore thing, Jackiee! I finally figgered owt the top vsv hose routing (there was a diagram on the hood, *ouch*) but i cant figure out the hose routing underneath that vsv. the vsv nozzles point towards the left of the engine. the two nozzles below it face the windshield, one on the left and one on the right. One should be attached to a hose leading to the smaller of two nozzles on the plastic intake piece conected to the throttle body, the other should be connected to a hose that leads to a nozzle about an inch above the icv. do you know which is which? It can only go one way or the other, i just dont want to screw it up
So, if memory serves me, that check valve is a one way, with flow only going towards the engine from the charcoal canister... essentially, if the car was boosted, you wouldn't want flow going the opposite way, so, you want air to only flow from the fuel tank, through the charcoal canister, to the intake manifold, where the vapors are burned in the engine...

VSV's are generally open / closed devices... without seeing it first hand, its hard to say which is which - even the service manuals aren't very clear, but, because they are open / close devices, it generally shouldn't matter if you get those two reversed, but, as far as which is which, again, I'd have to see it... perhaps someone with the same car can take a picture... I will look tomorrow and see if Mitchell has a clearer diagram...
Old 09-21-11, 07:33 PM
Gate
Pole Position

So, if memory serves me, that check valve is a one way, with flow only going towards the engine from the charcoal canister... essentially, if the car was boosted, you wouldn't want flow going the opposite way, so, you want air to only flow from the fuel tank, through the charcoal canister, to the intake manifold, where the vapors are burned in the engine...

VSV's are generally open / closed devices... without seeing it first hand, its hard to say which is which - even the service manuals aren't very clear, but, because they are open / close devices, it generally shouldn't matter if you get those two reversed, but, as far as which is which, again, I'd have to see it... perhaps someone with the same car can take a picture... I will look tomorrow and see if Mitchell has a clearer diagram...
NICE! Thanks about the charcoal canister, that was bugging me, i will get it right this time, and the vsv trouble rests a bit more easily, i wont even be starting the car until later tomorrow when i do a few more things so take your time, but you help me worry a lot less now, Thank you!

No input on the belt though? or maybe you figure i got it covered good by going to autozone and comparing length to a new one?

im doing it tonight, i will let everyone know how the belts compare in length when i get back
Old 09-21-11, 07:39 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

No input on the belt though? or maybe you figure i got it covered good by going to autozone and comparing length to a new one?

im doing it tonight, i will let everyone know how the belts compare in length when i get back
exactly, sounds like you have it under control...

let us know!
Old 09-21-11, 07:43 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i want to know on my 2000 es300 or 2001 Rx300 if things like automatic door lock and unlock when in shift in drive or park , respectively can be programmed by the Lexus service. thanks
Old 09-21-11, 07:46 PM
Gate
Pole Position

exactly, sounds like you have it under control...

let us know!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)