Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-11, 08:14 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I like how the OP has been absent since post #6!
Old 06-27-11, 09:11 AM
budhayes3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I like how the OP has been absent since post #6!
LOL, yea, I noticed that too
Old 06-27-11, 07:03 PM
sct93ls400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexustmo
Former lexus Technician!
Thanks in advance for any help here....
I have a really prestine 1993 LS400. 97K miles..looks like brand new

The other day the tach started to "jump" around - the engine was not changing rpm. I figured it was the gage malfunctioning. I drove it the next time and all hell broke loose....the V8 really acted strange. It seemed to toggle between a v8 and a v4. I could barely get the car home. Whenever the car went into the low power (v4 mode), the tack would jump to twice the rpm..again, the motor was not changing rpms. I cannot drive it to the Lexus dealer, it is over an hour drive away, and they are totally unfriendly about helping me with this problem.
I talked with a Honda mechanic and he suggested the ignitors (which according to the factor manuals have a connections to the Tach)...I just knew this would fix the problem. Well, the dealer wanted over $400 for one and there are two....I purchased 3 used ones on ebay ..did not fix the problem. Purchased a new coil...no help. Ran the codes and it says either nothing is wrong or the EGR valve. Initially, it took a while before this problem surfaced (car had to be really hot) now it will barely start....and when I'm cranking it over, as its trying to start, it is like someone is banging the steering wheel with a hammer timing seems off …sometimes it will idle just fine so it cannot be the timing belt being off one notch...any ideas?
Old 06-29-11, 07:27 PM
NSeagle78
Pole Position

Default cam and crank sensor

My SC400 code 12 and 13 came on. My car had starting problems. Sometime it would start and sometime it would not. Now my car will not start at all. I have search for a DIY to check and change the cam and crank sensor. With code 12 and 13 I had a couple of other codes but I got rid of the other codes by replacing capacitors in the ECU. Help I need this car running. Also when I try and get the codes with the paper clip the light just constantly flashes. Help

Last edited by NSeagle78; 06-29-11 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-04-11, 01:50 AM
NSeagle78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NSeagle78
My SC400 code 12 and 13 came on. My car had starting problems. Sometime it would start and sometime it would not. Now my car will not start at all. I have search for a DIY to check and change the cam and crank sensor. With code 12 and 13 I had a couple of other codes but I got rid of the other codes by replacing capacitors in the ECU. Help I need this car running. Also when I try and get the codes with the paper clip the light just constantly flashes. Help
I now have only code 13, what is the first part you would check/replace based on that code?
Old 07-04-11, 05:43 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by NSeagle78
I now have only code 13, what is the first part you would check/replace based on that code?
Does it run? Well?

I've actually heard of having that code due to a timing belt slipped a tooth on only one cam...

Aside from that, Code 13, according to the service manual, typically relates to a temporary interruption in the cam signal, so, there is really nothing to replace...
Old 07-04-11, 12:20 PM
NSeagle78
Pole Position

Default Good deal

Does it run? Well?

I've actually heard of having that code due to a timing belt slipped a tooth on only one cam...

Aside from that, Code 13, according to the service manual, typically relates to a temporary interruption in the cam signal, so, there is really nothing to replace...
Thanks, I will drive it as is and continue to monitor.
Old 07-08-11, 09:57 AM
atamatics
Driver School Candidate

Default AC not working

Help,

The other day a small pebble hit the radiator on my '07 RX350 and steam was coming out of it as a pressure cooker (no overheating though). On the next day thinking where to look for help I realized the little crack corroded or at least steam wasn't coming out of it anymore. However, the Air Conditioner stopped working (even though all lights act like everything is normal). I topped the overfill tank with coolant hoping there was some connection between the two but it didn't help.

I'm cooking in the hot weather please help!

Thanks,
ata
Old 07-08-11, 12:56 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by atamatics
Help,

The other day a small pebble hit the radiator on my '07 RX350 and steam was coming out of it as a pressure cooker (no overheating though). On the next day thinking where to look for help I realized the little crack corroded or at least steam wasn't coming out of it anymore. However, the Air Conditioner stopped working (even though all lights act like everything is normal). I topped the overfill tank with coolant hoping there was some connection between the two but it didn't help.

I'm cooking in the hot weather please help!

Thanks,
ata
Um, that wasn't your radiator.

That was your condenser. It looks similar to a radiator - it has fins, tubes between them, etc... Your condenser is a part in the a/c system that cools down refrigerant (referred to as freon most of the time) after it is compressed which heats it.

It wasn't steam, what you saw coming out was the refrigerant. You will have to have the condenser replaced and the system charged. Charging the system is relatively cheap, most places will do it for $100ish. The condenser will be more expensive, and you may even have to remove the radiator to get to it. Labor can be somewhat intensive on those, though I don't know on your car for sure...

Good luck!

PS, if it gets too expensive, you could potentially claim it on insurance.

http://www.freeautomechanic.com/airconditioning.html

Last edited by mitsuguy; 07-08-11 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-08-11, 06:54 PM
atamatics
Driver School Candidate

Um, that wasn't your radiator.

That was your condenser. It looks similar to a radiator - it has fins, tubes between them, etc... Your condenser is a part in the a/c system that cools down refrigerant (referred to as freon most of the time) after it is compressed which heats it.

It wasn't steam, what you saw coming out was the refrigerant. You will have to have the condenser replaced and the system charged. Charging the system is relatively cheap, most places will do it for $100ish. The condenser will be more expensive, and you may even have to remove the radiator to get to it. Labor can be somewhat intensive on those, though I don't know on your car for sure...

Good luck!

PS, if it gets too expensive, you could potentially claim it on insurance.

http://www.freeautomechanic.com/airconditioning.html
Thanks, you convinced me to go and check with a mechanic. The crack was about 3 inches under the bumper on the driver's side and if that's the condenser it would also explain why my car wasn't overheating but my AC stopped working. I put a little antifreeze there not sure if there was enough, it seems then that I've mixed antifreeze with freon - is it dangerous?
Old 07-08-11, 07:56 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by atamatics
Thanks, you convinced me to go and check with a mechanic. The crack was about 3 inches under the bumper on the driver's side and if that's the condenser it would also explain why my car wasn't overheating but my AC stopped working. I put a little antifreeze there not sure if there was enough, it seems then that I've mixed antifreeze with freon - is it dangerous?
You can't add refrigerant to the a/c system without special equipment. You most likely added coolant to the cooling system, being that it was an inch or two below the full, which is perfectly acceptable as well...
Old 07-11-11, 11:09 AM
flossie13
Driver School Candidate

I have a problem with my 2003 es 300... drove today then parked. came back and something turns like an electric motor but no motor response. in hind site i could swear it sounded a little high pitch during startup the last week or so... Please help... No codes when i connect the reader..
Old 07-11-11, 02:28 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by flossie13
I have a problem with my 2003 es 300... drove today then parked. came back and something turns like an electric motor but no motor response. in hind site i could swear it sounded a little high pitch during startup the last week or so... Please help... No codes when i connect the reader..
start solenoid... its integral to the starter...

chances are it can be pulled appart, contacts cleaned / replaced and reinstalled, but it may be difficult finding someone to do that... chances are you will just need to purchase a starter and have it replaced... (assuming you won't be doing it yourself)...
Old 07-13-11, 08:30 AM
flossie13
Driver School Candidate

I wanted to do it myself... any tips or tricks for me sir??
Old 07-13-11, 08:30 AM
flossie13
Driver School Candidate

would i make it FUBAR doing it myself??

Quick Reply: Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)