Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 01:18 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ammonia smell?

Has anyone ever had the smell of ammonia in their car while driving? I noticed this smell about a week ago. Mostly notice it when im on the highway with a window or sunroof cracked mostly when first starting the car after a long time(in the morning). Could it be the gas im using(Shell and BP) or could there be another problem? Also i get more than the usual sulfur smell while driving sometimes. Could my cat/s be bad or goin bad?
Old 01-22-14, 01:09 PM
amccaulx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2006 Gx470 Sport (KDSS), with 82k miles, has a clunk/loose suspension feeling when going over potholes. It doesn't happen when going over speed bumps or anything other then a pothole.

I have experienced at each corner of the suspension, so it isn't just one corner that is bad. So if for example I drive over a pothole on the driver side, I feel the clunk on the driver front wheel as it goes into the pothole, and then again as the rear driver tire goes into the pothole. The same thing happens if I drove over a pothole on the passenger side as well. It is more noticeable and happens more frequently when the suspension is set to comfort, and less often and less harsh when the suspension is in sport.

Since it happens at all 4 corners, I am wondering if it may be something wrong with the Xreas Suspension, or KDSS.

Also, this is the first vehicle I have driven with KDSS, so maybe this is a normal feeling of that system.

Other then the clunck, everything else feels fine, handling, cornering, ect. Visually, eveything looks fine except there is some residue on the rear KDSS piston's boot:

Old 01-23-14, 05:56 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I would start with checking all the suspension joints, bushings, ball joints, sway bar bushings and sway bar end links...

Sometimes these parts can seem fine to the average car guy even, but still cause issues...
Old 01-29-14, 05:05 AM
swiish65
Driver School Candidate

Need help own 2012 IS350C , have recurring squeak like sound from rear of car when going over imperfection in road. Dealer has been unable to resolve.
Old 01-29-14, 06:05 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by swiish65
Need help own 2012 IS350C , have recurring squeak like sound from rear of car when going over imperfection in road. Dealer has been unable to resolve.
Good luck... mysterious squeaks are one of the worst to diagnose...

Any idea if suspension or chassis squeak?
Old 01-31-14, 10:57 AM
swiish65
Driver School Candidate

Not sure whether suspension or chasis.

Is there specific components of either that I should have dealer check?
Old 02-03-14, 07:57 PM
joker101
Driver School Candidate

Default ingniyion problem

So im new to the sight...let me start out by saying thax to the people that have helped me so far:Im having truble with my ignition.....when I turn my car off (92 sc 400) all my dash lights ecu i beleive... all stay on killing my battery some one please help
Old 03-27-14, 02:50 PM
honasbone
Driver

Default Rear passenger seat warmer 2001 ls 430

Hi. What a fantastic thread!

I just picked up a 01 430 UL a couple weeks back. I'm now noticing that the rear passenger side seat warmer isn't working. The rear driver's side seat warmer does work though. Any thoughts on what I might do to track down the cause?

Much appreciated!
Old 03-27-14, 07:31 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I would start with the switch.
Old 03-28-14, 09:35 AM
honasbone
Driver

Sounds good. So the initial recommendation is to try replacing the switch? Or is it repairable? I'm guessing the former.

I found instructions on how to remove the rear armrest here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...y-2002-ul.html

Looking at the pic of the removed plastics upside down, I'm guessing that one of those back panels comes off to reveal the switch. Or do you know some trick that will allow me access to the switch? Any insights on how to actually get at and replace the switch would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-28-14, 07:12 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Just replace it. Repair on switches can be a hassle and generally dont last. Trim and upholstery removal tools will generally do the job, you can get them at harbor freight in a kit for $10 or less, with assorted sizes.
Old 03-31-14, 11:11 AM
honasbone
Driver

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Just replace it. Repair on switches can be a hassle and generally dont last. Trim and upholstery removal tools will generally do the job, you can get them at harbor freight in a kit for $10 or less, with assorted sizes.
Just picked it up for a whole $7. haha. What a great place. I've never been to a Harbor Freight before. Appreciate the suggestion.

If I was going to go for a repair/cleaning initially, just to give it a shot (especially since the cost of a switch is over $70 at Sewell), is there anything special I should know? What should I clean it with?
Old 04-08-14, 03:04 PM
Bbohnsack
Driver School Candidate

So here is a run down...first thing that happens is that is feels like the power steering is going out when I'm parking or pulling out of a parking spot. Then it will run for a little while, then all the dashboard lights (abs, oil, battery, etc) come on. Then the car starts to sputter, then sounds like it's going to stall.

I have checked the battery terminals, replaced the battery and the alternator. This has happened 3 times. We are able to charge the battery...it runs fine for a little while then starts all over again.
Old 10-25-14, 03:25 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If you still come here. Could you PM me the radio code for 92 Ls400. I got a wrecking yard unit.
Old 06-06-15, 12:26 PM
Janis
Driver School Candidate

I'm looking at buying a 1990 Lexus LS400. The current owner has been quoted a price to replace struts - front & back - for $3,000. Can this be done for less?

Quick Reply: Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)