Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-12, 01:33 PM
HandsomeB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Ill Elaine orate a little... you can't replace the. ATS with straight pipe for the same reason new ones can't be welded in, unless you want to pay a fabrication shop big money to do it... it is easier and cheaper to replace the whole manifold....
Thanks that was a great bit of information. Will be doing something these upcoming weeks.
Old 06-22-12, 04:28 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry for the terrible writing - did that on my phone quickly and obviously didn't proofread it...
Old 06-23-12, 08:21 PM
HandsomeB
Driver School Candidate

I do have another question and please forgive my ignorance, but what would be the best set up. If i get a set of headers will I still need the cats or would I have to buy headers and aftermarket cats to make it work. I just want the exhaust gasses to escape because when I drive for a while this way there is a lot of heat coming from underneath the car (excessive). Sometimes I can hear the coolant in the reservoir boiling when I turn the car off on hot days.
Old 07-07-12, 01:15 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Hope this isnt too obvious but I have a dash light on. I figured it was TCS or soemthing but I cant seem to figure it out. It's in the top left and its a picture of a car with what would seem something getting thrown out of the back of the car. I have a 92 sc300, no CEL and no traction control. This is at all times no matter if the ECT button is on normal or power.. Help please, thanks
Old 10-11-12, 07:32 AM
flossie13
Driver School Candidate

Anyone knows where I can find a thread to help with my tail lights? I searched in came up with nothing. My tail lights dont work. reverse lights works, brake lights works, turn signals work but plate lights and parking lights etc dont. Please Help!! got a ticket already so i dont drive at night...

I accidentally connected an external D/c source into my lightsource while both were hot when i tried to connect a lighted number plate holder. I forgot to cut off the little tester switch assembly(the button you push to test the light in the store) . checked the fuses under the hood. are there other fuses?? i pulled apart the trunk but find nothing.

Any help will be immensely accepted.
Old 10-11-12, 04:03 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by flossie13
Anyone knows where I can find a thread to help with my tail lights? I searched in came up with nothing. My tail lights dont work. reverse lights works, brake lights works, turn signals work but plate lights and parking lights etc dont. Please Help!! got a ticket already so i dont drive at night...

I accidentally connected an external D/c source into my lightsource while both were hot when i tried to connect a lighted number plate holder. I forgot to cut off the little tester switch assembly(the button you push to test the light in the store) . checked the fuses under the hood. are there other fuses?? i pulled apart the trunk but find nothing.

Any help will be immensely accepted.
Can't recall off top of my head, but there is most likely a fuse box inside the vehicle, generally in one of the kick panels, to the side of the driver or passengers feet (most Lexus' are on the driver side)...
Old 10-15-12, 05:48 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Here is a question. About a week go i noticed on a cold start my temp gauge on a 92 ls400 was in the middle range. I drove it around noticed it wouldn't much more above half way. I was not losing coolant. I changed the thermostat no change.

I then swapped clusters thinking it was the gauge. No change. I than changed the temp sender unit and coolant temp sensor that goes to the ecu. Still nothing.

Only time it went halfway down was after i changed thermostats. Probably because i drained out some coolant and did a burp.

So still back at the middle. Car runs fine no codes.

So what could it be?? Water pump failing or bad rad? Could it be the ecu or in the wiring?

As far as i know the tbelt was done by the dealer back in 07. It has gone 25k since than. I am guessing the water pump was done too but not a 100 percent.

Any ideas??

Thx
Old 10-15-12, 08:17 PM
flossie13
Driver School Candidate

found the inside fuse box. it is behind the coin pocket left of the steering wheel on the lower dashboard. found the fuse and everything is ok now. Thank You very much Mitsuguy.
Old 10-15-12, 09:23 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Here is a question. About a week go i noticed on a cold start my temp gauge on a 92 ls400 was in the middle range. I drove it around noticed it wouldn't much more above half way. I was not losing coolant. I changed the thermostat no change.

I then swapped clusters thinking it was the gauge. No change. I than changed the temp sender unit and coolant temp sensor that goes to the ecu. Still nothing.

Only time it went halfway down was after i changed thermostats. Probably because i drained out some coolant and did a burp.

So still back at the middle. Car runs fine no codes.

So what could it be?? Water pump failing or bad rad? Could it be the ecu or in the wiring?

As far as i know the tbelt was done by the dealer back in 07. It has gone 25k since than. I am guessing the water pump was done too but not a 100 percent.

Any ideas??

Thx
Temp gauge should be in the middle range at operating temperature... are you saying it isn't, or its there all the time, no matter the actual engine temp?
Old 10-16-12, 05:15 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Temp gauge should be in the middle range at operating temperature... are you saying it isn't, or its there all the time, no matter the actual engine temp?
Yes. Just went to that temp and never went back. Engine sits for over a day still in the middle.

Thx
Old 10-16-12, 08:08 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Yes. Just went to that temp and never went back. Engine sits for over a day still in the middle.

Thx
Interesting...

that would mean there is a specific resistance in that circuit, or it is a faulty gauge... seeing as what you have done so far, I would lean towards gauge being bad... pull the cluster, measure resistance at the cluster for the temperature... find the value of resistance, and we can look it up, I am sure it is out there, I just don't know it off top of my head...
Old 10-16-12, 08:25 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Interesting...

that would mean there is a specific resistance in that circuit, or it is a faulty gauge... seeing as what you have done so far, I would lean towards gauge being bad... pull the cluster, measure resistance at the cluster for the temperature... find the value of resistance, and we can look it up, I am sure it is out there, I just don't know it off top of my head...
Well i did pick up another gauge put it in no change. I have the old one back in now. that one i had rebuilt two years ago. So it is a weird deal. Any chance the ecu is it?

It runs fine but not knowing the true temp from the gauge is scary. Since its gotten cooler and most days i only drive 10 miles it dont have much time to really heat up. The needle raises up just a little than back down to mid way after a few hours.

Could be the wiring from the temp sender?
Old 10-16-12, 08:27 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Are you asking for resistance off the gauge or wiring harness?
Old 10-16-12, 08:28 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

very weird either way..... you said you changed the sender, are we sure we changed the correct one? there is a chance your car has two, don't recall for sure... I'd measure the resistance of it at the sender, measure it at the cluster...

away on business so I don't have access to any of the normal stuff, but when I get back (next week), i'll look up some wiring diagrams

edit: resistance of the wiring harness between ground and signal...
Old 10-16-12, 08:42 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

very weird either way..... you said you changed the sender, are we sure we changed the correct one? there is a chance your car has two, don't recall for sure... I'd measure the resistance of it at the sender, measure it at the cluster...

away on business so I don't have access to any of the normal stuff, but when I get back (next week), i'll look up some wiring diagrams

edit: resistance of the wiring harness between ground and signal...
Thanks again.

I changed both the sending unit and coolant temp sensor both are side by side just to the left of the thermostat.

This is a pic of where the needle sits on a cold start.
Attached Thumbnails Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)-temp-gauge.jpg  

Quick Reply: Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)