Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)

Old 02-18-12, 11:49 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

so i was doing a transmission drain n fill and to remove the 10mm( i think) bolt required a 10mm allen wrench so as i was turning it slipped so i tried again and agian it slipped and then i noticed on the bolt on the pan got screwed, So now i can't use basically any wrench to remove that bolt. It messed up the shape (like the groove).
anyways so what can i do to remove it. Do i have to unbolt the whole pan now? any ideas?
Old 02-18-12, 06:20 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by imherenow
so i was doing a transmission drain n fill and to remove the 10mm( i think) bolt required a 10mm allen wrench so as i was turning it slipped so i tried again and agian it slipped and then i noticed on the bolt on the pan got screwed, So now i can't use basically any wrench to remove that bolt. It messed up the shape (like the groove).
anyways so what can i do to remove it. Do i have to unbolt the whole pan now? any ideas?
ez-out...

http://www.ehow.com/how_5127433_use-easy-outs.html

Last edited by mitsuguy; 02-18-12 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-19-12, 06:06 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ya i was thinking of that but scared not to mess up the actual sensor...also i have noticed this for some time now..just the tilt for thigh region doesnt work. the motor seems to work (from that noise) but the shaft thing is not moving..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Dcr...layer_embedded
Old 03-13-12, 05:12 AM
sprocket
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 GX Tranny Fluid

Time to drain & refill the tranny on my 2004 GX470.

My local shop who I have used for years says they can use a specific Valvoline fluid instead of the WS. I have also used a local Toyota dealer in the past.

The local shop is well run and not a cheopo shop by any means. Any thoughts on the Valvoline suggestion? Should I take it to the Toyota dealer? Lexus dealer?
Old 03-13-12, 06:54 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by sprocket
Time to drain & refill the tranny on my 2004 GX470.

My local shop who I have used for years says they can use a specific Valvoline fluid instead of the WS. I have also used a local Toyota dealer in the past.

The local shop is well run and not a cheopo shop by any means. Any thoughts on the Valvoline suggestion? Should I take it to the Toyota dealer? Lexus dealer?
In general, those fluids are fine. Are they as good as the Toyota fluid? Hard to say, maybe better, maybe worse... Toyota did design the car, though, they know what goes best in it, but, like oil, there are many compatible options... Those guys (fluid manufacturers) would have a whole crapload of lawsuits if there fluid was killing trannies, but, hard to say long term...

IMO, you should do this yourself - it is a hard one to screw up...

put a drain pan underneath, then remove the drain plug

allow everything to drain out, then reinstall plug

guesstimate how much fluid came out, if no idea, add 3 quarts to dipstick tube

start car, let idle, check fluid level after 30 seconds or so

if close to the correct area, allow car to warm up completely, if very low, add until close to the marks... once warm completely, check fluid level and adjust accordingly...
Old 03-13-12, 06:55 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by imherenow
ya i was thinking of that but scared not to mess up the actual sensor...also i have noticed this for some time now..just the tilt for thigh region doesnt work. the motor seems to work (from that noise) but the shaft thing is not moving..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Dcr...layer_embedded
without even seeing the video, those things are notorious for breaking... easiest way is to find a set of seats and rob the parts from them...
Old 03-14-12, 10:10 AM
sprocket
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
In general, those fluids are fine. Are they as good as the Toyota fluid? Hard to say, maybe better, maybe worse... Toyota did design the car, though, they know what goes best in it, but, like oil, there are many compatible options... Those guys (fluid manufacturers) would have a whole crapload of lawsuits if there fluid was killing trannies, but, hard to say long term...

IMO, you should do this yourself - it is a hard one to screw up...

put a drain pan underneath, then remove the drain plug

allow everything to drain out, then reinstall plug

guesstimate how much fluid came out, if no idea, add 3 quarts to dipstick tube

start car, let idle, check fluid level after 30 seconds or so

if close to the correct area, allow car to warm up completely, if very low, add until close to the marks... once warm completely, check fluid level and adjust accordingly...
Thanks Mitsuguy. That answers the question regarding choice of fluid.

I've read a little about the drain & refill process. If it is simply a matter of removing the drain plug, allowing it to drain, replacing the plug and refilling through the dipstick tube I may tackle it. When doing it this way, am I correct that only a portion of the fluid actually drains? Would this cause 2 different fluids to mix? Also, does it make sense to do it multiple times to get more fluid out?

Edit - I do have the factory tow package if that affects the job.

Last edited by sprocket; 03-14-12 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-14-12, 06:14 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Thanks Mitsuguy. That answers the question regarding choice of fluid.

I've read a little about the drain & refill process. If it is simply a matter of removing the drain plug, allowing it to drain, replacing the plug and refilling through the dipstick tube I may tackle it. When doing it this way, am I correct that only a portion of the fluid actually drains? Would this cause 2 different fluids to mix? Also, does it make sense to do it multiple times to get more fluid out?

Edit - I do have the factory tow package if that affects the job.
No problem... tow package has no effect, except for maybe having a slightly larger trans fluid cooler... the fluids are compatible with one another, in fact, aside from the friction modifiers in them, the fluids are all pretty much the same thing anyways...

some people swear by the incremental fluid change, meaning 3-4 quarts every so often... either way, you are changing 25% of the fluid, give or take, each time, you would never get it all, but close, after about 6 drain and fills... just be sure to locate the fill tube and drain prior to doing anything - some newer vehicles don't have dipsticks at all...
Old 03-18-12, 03:17 PM
08lexus350
Driver

hello people/friends, i have a 08 is350 and my turn signals don't turn off automatically after completing a turn, any ideas what it can be? thanks a lot
Old 03-19-12, 11:26 AM
str8lucky
Pole Position

Default 2000 Lexus GS300 turns off while in idle

I have an issue with the car dying while in idle. For instance I was in a drive-thru and the car started shaking (sputtering like lost fuel possibly) then all the dash lights went on and the car died. I immediately put the car in park and it started right up and had no error codes or in-dash lights that turned on. Then again 4 days later exact same thing happened. I have done all scheduled maintenance.
Any solutions would be helpful. I am not under any warranty and would like to have an idea of what it could be, before taking to dealer and having to pay their ridiculous fees.
Old 03-25-12, 05:31 AM
sprocket
Pole Position

No problem... tow package has no effect, except for maybe having a slightly larger trans fluid cooler... the fluids are compatible with one another, in fact, aside from the friction modifiers in them, the fluids are all pretty much the same thing anyways...

some people swear by the incremental fluid change, meaning 3-4 quarts every so often... either way, you are changing 25% of the fluid, give or take, each time, you would never get it all, but close, after about 6 drain and fills... just be sure to locate the fill tube and drain prior to doing anything - some newer vehicles don't have dipsticks at all...
Sorry to come back to this, but the 25% thing has me wondering how much benefit there is from a simple drain and refill as 75% of the old fluid is still in there. Also, if I don't use the same fluid, is there a problem mixing two? any thoughts?
Old 03-25-12, 06:30 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Sorry to come back to this, but the 25% thing has me wondering how much benefit there is from a simple drain and refill as 75% of the old fluid is still in there. Also, if I don't use the same fluid, is there a problem mixing two? any thoughts?
It isn't as much benefit, for sure, but, it also lessens the chance of a problem happening inside the transmission... Even a flush may not remove all of the fluid, as it is not all in a single tube, large amounts are simply held inside the torque converter and the pan... It is probably closer to 90 % though, but you could get to 90% by doing the drain/fill a couple times, and it end up being about the same amount of fluid as well...
Old 03-25-12, 06:32 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by 08lexus350
hello people/friends, i have a 08 is350 and my turn signals don't turn off automatically after completing a turn, any ideas what it can be? thanks a lot
it ~never~ resets? most cars have a gear of some sorts which interacts with the lever to reset it... there is a chance one of the two is broken or out of adjustment... it is all inside the steering column and may not be easy to diagnose... still under warranty?
Old 03-25-12, 06:35 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by str8lucky
I have an issue with the car dying while in idle. For instance I was in a drive-thru and the car started shaking (sputtering like lost fuel possibly) then all the dash lights went on and the car died. I immediately put the car in park and it started right up and had no error codes or in-dash lights that turned on. Then again 4 days later exact same thing happened. I have done all scheduled maintenance.
Any solutions would be helpful. I am not under any warranty and would like to have an idea of what it could be, before taking to dealer and having to pay their ridiculous fees.
Very interesting... Sounds like an intermittent cam / crank sensor to me... a good scan tool might be able to pull a history or pending code, as if the check engine light is not on, cheapie scan tools might not be able to see the codes from the past...

unfortunately, without an existing code and a problem that only repeats itself seemingly only every 4 days, it might be difficult to pinpoint the issue exactly...
Old 03-25-12, 06:38 AM
08lexus350
Driver

it ~never~ resets? most cars have a gear of some sorts which interacts with the lever to reset it... there is a chance one of the two is broken or out of adjustment... it is all inside the steering column and may not be easy to diagnose... still under warranty?
I'm out of warranty, and yes it never resets, for example i pick up the turn signal up to turn right and after the turn is complete the signal is still going blinking, this is for both left and right turn. if i change the whole turn signal assembly would that fix it, i found couple used ones on ebay for about 150$ shipped..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)