Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Oil level light

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-02, 12:05 PM
LEXBERG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil level light

M oil level light keeps coming on the level is fine and there is no leak?? What's the problem, fuse??? or is it leaking inside. I looked and didn't really see anything.
Old 08-19-02, 10:50 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same thing happenen. I got an oil change and it went away. Are you due for one yet?
Old 08-19-02, 11:11 AM
LEXBERG
Pole Position

yeah I am, but last time I got an oil change it came on a week or 2 later. what is it??
Old 08-19-02, 07:21 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try topping off with motor oil.
Old 08-20-02, 09:48 AM
LEXBERG
Pole Position

I did it comes on every now and then, hasn't come on lately though????
Old 08-30-02, 11:47 AM
LEXBERG
Pole Position

well the Lexus of silver spring,MD said it was some kind of: oil-level or pressure sensor: The cost of this item which they don't have in stock is $380.00 Total Install 540.00 So I asked the Service Mgr, was it necessary??? He goes well you need to know when your oil level is low I'm like I'll just do an oil change every 3K. What do you guys think??
Old 08-30-02, 03:44 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

You can always check the oil level the old fashion way via the oil dipstick at regular interval. One bad thing about not having an oil sensor is that when there is a significant oil leak while driving, there won't be any warning and the result can be catastrophic. But then how often does that happen?
Old 08-30-02, 04:23 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by hyperopt
Try topping off with motor oil.
The original post stated his oil level is fine, so topping off would be a very bad idea.

Originally posted by hyperopt
One bad thing about not having an oil sensor is that when there is a significant oil leak while driving, there won't be any warning and the result can be catastrophic.
I would imagine that the light is engineered to illuminate before the level is dangerously low. Similar to a Fuel Level light I bet.

I'd get it fixed; if you didn't, how would you ever know if the light is faulty or a true warning?

Keep us posted.
Old 08-30-02, 04:35 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default The SC oil lights are known to flicker, too....

In the 5 years I've had my SC, I've seen the light come on several times. Once, it came on while I was just idling at a traffic light. It sure scared me, but now I know it will flicker from time to time, and as long as it does not stay on, it is probably just the sensor having a bad day.

More discussion on this in the following thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=53958
Old 09-01-02, 03:11 PM
Lvangundy

My 90 LS has done that a couple times in the past 3 months or so.

Getting an oil change fixed the problem. Funny thing is it came on at almost exactly 3000 miles a couple days ago since the last change. Kind of a reminder.. ;-) It happened on the freeway when I was doing about 80, quickly put it in neutral to drop the RPM and it turned off.

So now it's on again! Yes there is a sensor in the pan (or somewhere in there) which detects low oil. I have seen it myself. I was told usually the cause is that over time the oil gets stuck on it and freezes the sensor.

There is NO WAY it costs $380 plus labor to fix. Check somewhere else and if it really needs replaceing maybe Steve Ganz (carson Toyota) can get it for you.
Old 09-04-02, 03:19 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Dex
The original post stated his oil level is fine, so topping off would be a very bad idea..

Topping of oil if not a bad idea. Just use your common sense when topping off!
Both my LS's oil light would start to flicker when the oil level is below the mid level but still between high and low. The level is fine but a little low for my sensors and for me. Topping off will keep them happy.

I would imagine that the light is engineered to illuminate before the level is dangerously low. Similar to a Fuel Level light I bet.
I wouldn't want the oil light to behaves similarly to the fuel level light on my Lexs. Unlike operating on low fuel, operating on low oil is a prelude to a major disaster. Such late warning is almost disasterous. In many cars, the oil light comes on a bit too late and by the time you realize it and stop the engine, major damage had occured. The oil lights in my lexs behave exactly the way I want them to behave - give me warning when the oil level is low but still in the "fine" range.

Last edited by hyperopt; 09-04-02 at 03:22 PM.