Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Lexus Oil filters are a rip off

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-02, 07:26 AM
damnboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info.
So this filter (90915-YZZB5-Toyota V-8 filter) can fit my 99 GS3 too right?
Old 08-08-02, 08:29 AM
SUPRATRD
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the number you need:

90915-20004

Denso Japan made filter, same one I use on MY SC300 and Supra Turbo, more filtering paper inside, I don't care for the "YZZ" filters even though DensoJapan makes certain numbers for our market. Toyota also uses another manufacturer for the "YZZ" that's made here to compete against Purolator,Fram etc.

We cut them apart and there's no comparison, especially against the US made filters. It's true you can use either filter and your warranty will stay intact, or another filter for that matter but why would you.

This is my opinion, no I haven't done any scientific studies to comfirm the Japan made filters are better......only eyesight and use on my own vehicles, Japan quality here...............

If anyone needs them:

(1) 90915-20004-$7.29 each
(10) 90915-20004 (case)-$6.99 each
Old 08-08-02, 08:36 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I been using the 90915-20004 recommand by SupraTRD. He told me that they cut open both TRD Oil filter and the 90915-20004. 90915-20004 has better build.. more material inside than the TRD once.

So.. guess what.. I am using 90915-20004.

I also don't use the Lexus Oil. Now they going to tell me when my car breaks down its the oil. NOPE...

Last edited by Shinchan; 08-08-02 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-08-02, 08:41 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Funny this should come up. I've been using the 90915-YZZB5 verity and when I ran out I went to get more. I bought one of the YZZB5's for $7 and one of the 20004 for $14. They let me open the boxes and I took pics of them next to each other.

As Sharp points out the 20004 does have an orange o-ring, but that's not all. The 20004 comes from the factory with a plastic shrink wrap over the open end and it's a few mm longer.

I took some pics of them back to back with a ruler and will post them soon.

Overclocker

Last edited by Overclocker; 08-08-02 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-08-02, 11:15 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

my gs4 takes ~5.5-6 qts of M1....

oh, yeah some of my friends think it is funny that i always hunt for good stuff at reasonable/bargain price and use double coupons, and yet i drive a nice car..and then i would tell them, that is how i saved up for the nice car..

Last edited by GS4Will; 08-08-02 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-08-02, 12:40 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Jmai22
hey sharp super site man. yeah i have the one on the right. but i think that sites a bit off 8-10 bucks. for the lexus one??? i wonder where i can get these at for this price. next time i guess i'll go for the one on the left.

on a side not. i poured in 6 quarts today when i was changing oil and wasn't really paying attention and realized i had poured in 6 quarts. when i check the stick it was at the FULL mark. how bad can this be to the engine?? is there anything i can do besides remove the plug and take oil out and pour it back in. i really don't want to do this.
As long as it says full on the stick and is still within the highlighted area (not past full on the stick) then your fine. If it's past the mark then your car will run a little rich. If you want just slightly unscrew the bolt (don't take it all the way off ) and let some drain/leak out into a pan and then tighten the screw up and measure the dip stick again until your comfortable with the measure. No reason to fully drain all your oil out.
Old 08-08-02, 01:26 PM
Zarlov
Driver School Candidate

Default other oil filters. . .

What do you all think of other brands of "aftermarket" oil filters? I used to use K&N or Mobil 1 oil filters on my Supra. I just got a K&N filter for my GS 400. I think it was about $9. These are supposedly "high flo" filters. Just curious if anyone has used them.

-Zarlov
Old 08-08-02, 02:00 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

M 1 filter got good reviews here too....comparable to the stock...
Old 08-08-02, 02:12 PM
RacingAristo

How often should I change oil filter?
Old 08-08-02, 02:14 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Jmai22
didn't think this thread was gonna get that many replies, but wow. hey rich people don't become rich buying expensive stuff. most rich people are the cheapest people around. thats how they become wealthy. they learn to save and shop around. in no way am i saying i'm rich.
Well, that takes care of the rich people...
Where are all the vain people out there, driving Toyotas and buying their oil filters at Lexus dealerships?
Anybody?....
Old 08-08-02, 02:20 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

i change my oil and filter every 5k miles...M One
Old 08-08-02, 02:37 PM
RacingAristo

Anyone knows if Lexus dealer change the oil fliter for every 5000 mile service?
Old 08-08-02, 02:55 PM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

I got a case of the lexus japan filters ...0004 from my dealer. I had a coupon a couple of years back for $6.79 so I bought a case...they were not too happy. when I walked in with a coupon and demanded a case. They said I needed one coupon per filter. Well I went down the hall to get the flyers that they mailed out and handed then ONE per Filter. No more arguments. I will need to order some more soon.

and $6.99 each per case is excellant!
plus if you have other toyota vehicles like me. you can use those in them too! I found out the toyota filters sold at most dealerships are USA made. Well after my first filter change in my Tacoma, I couldn't believe how crappy the USA one looked in build quality to the OEM factory installed one...If I knew it was that I would have bought a fram instead of buying oem from the toyo shop.
Old 08-08-02, 03:37 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally posted by gs4will
my gs4 takes ~5.5-6 qts of M1....

oh, yeah some of my friends think it is funny that i always hunt for good stuff at reasonable/bargain price and use double coupons, and yet i drive a nice car..and then i would tell them, that is how i saved up for the nice car..
I agree, there is a difference between being cheap and being money conscience if you can get the same quality in another product or the same product at a lower price somewhere else.
As long as you don't waste gas driving to save the couple of bucks cause then its all the same in the long run.

Also goes for mail order mdse cause they usually get you on shipping charges. Funny thing is when they say FREE SHIPPING AND NO TAX and your like.... wow... great deal........ but then you find out they have a HANDLING FEE WHICH TO ME IS A SHIPPING CHARGE IN THE END!! WTF lol They always try to con the consumer but you have to be keen to that crap. Rephrasing doesn’t go over on me. So in the end the total price of the item turns out more expensive then a local place selling it. Research is the key.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 08-08-02 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-08-02, 04:06 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

agree...all those "one coupon per item/person" is such a joke and waste of paper/time for everyone...might was well take your pic and id and not allow you into the store until the promo ends...

'handling fee"...do not even get me started in this one....what, i am buying products from you and you expect me to pay extra fees for you to pack them and send them to me...

bottomline, it pays BIG time to be a smart and patient shopper...

Quick Reply: Lexus Oil filters are a rip off