Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

VSC off: jumper TC to CG or TS to CG or CANL to CG???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-10, 06:32 AM
peafarmer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSC off: jumper TC to CG or TS to CG or CANL to CG???

I have a 2003 LS430, and have the VSC off problem. I have been pouring over the threads, and have found the procedures to jumper at the DSC3 connector to reset this.

However, there are several versions of pictures and labels of the pinouts, so I am not sure which one is actually correct.

When I google "DSC3" the images tell me that CG is pin 4, TS is pin 12, TC is pin 13, and CANL is pin 14.

Also, what do TS and TC refer to? I have found that CG is ground and CANL is controller area network lower.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Andy
Old 10-12-10, 05:15 PM
peafarmer
Rookie

Default TS is now CANL?

OK, I think that I have found the answer to what was confusing me. It seems that the spec has been updated since 2003, so the pin that used to be TS is now CANL. Also, new obdii checkers try to interface using the most up to date spec that they can, so the "newer" scan tools seem to cause this problem by attempting to communicate over the CAN pins. See this post by MicaBlue03 on the 4Runner board. So, can you get obdii testers that know what vintage your car is so that this mismatch does not occur?

MicaBlue03 post:

If you suddenly have the "VSC TRAC" and "VSC OFF" lights in your dash, this post may help you fix the problem yourself. The information here applies to 4th gen 4Runners that use the ISO protocol rather than the newer CAN protocol for their OBDII interfaces to code readers, ECU programmers, hand-held testers, etc. The OBDII interface includes several different protocols (methods of digital communication) and they all use the same physical connector, though with some different pins. The connector is located at the bottom of the dash on the driver's side and in the 4Runner it's covered by a small black cap.

4Runners switched from ISO to CAN around 2005 though this information may also apply to newer 4Runners with some modification. That is, newer 4Runners may display trouble codes and reset sensor calibration values in response to the connection of different (than earlier 4Runners) pins together than the ones described below.

Several posters have discussed similar problems, described in several different threads. I'm reluctantly starting a new one, with a more specific title (including the exact name of the two trouble indicator lights), in the hope that searchers will more easily find a solution.

The specific behavior: On startup, the "VSC TRAC" and "VSC OFF" lights come on and stay on. The ABS light may or may not come on. On subsequent starts the lights will come on temporarily as usual (as a bulb check) and then go off. They come on again and stay on as soon as the 4Runner is moved. The "check engine" light does not come on. This behavior begins after the vehicle has been hooked to some sort of OBDII code reader or engine tester or data logger, etc. Though the lights are on, no standard OBDII problem codes are detected by a regular code reader.

Cause: The code reader or other OBDII device has attempted to communicate with the 4Runner using the CAN protocol (involving pin #14) and this has caused the 4Runner to erase the "zero point calibration" numbers in its memory. Without these numbers it can't get accurate information from the yaw rate and deceleration sensors (in the center console near the gearshift) and so it disables traction and stability control functions.

The fix: Perform the "zero point calibration" procedure as described in TSB BR001-04. This procedure can be performed without special equipment such as a hand-held tester or OBDII reader. You only need the equivalent of a jumper wire to short together two pins of the OBDII connector at the right time and the right number of times between switching the 4Runner on and off. More detail is included below, leveraged from my other posts.

Why this doesn't happen every time a code reader is used: The code readers usually use the pins and protocol of the OBDII connector in a specific sequence, trying first to establish communication with the vehicle using the oldest protocol. They then try the pins and protocol of newer protocol standards. Usually the code reader would be successful in its first try at establishing contact with the 4Runner using the ISO 9141-2 protocol, and there would be no problem. However these communications schemes are not foolproof and occasionally the ISO protocol attempt fails. Then the code reader tries newer protocols including CAN (controller area network). It's this CAN attempt, which toggles pin #14 (the CAN data pin) that accidentally tells the 4Runner to erase the existing zero point calibration data. Since the 4Runner (this vintage anyway) can't communicate by CAN protocol the tester re-tries the older protocols again and eventually succeeds in setting up communication by the right ISO protocol. But by then the calibration data has been erased.

The calibration, by the way, is simply a matter of telling the 4Runner VSC/TRAC computer "your yaw rate and deceleration rate are currently zero" and to save the associated values. Then the output from the sensors can be interpreted correctly.

Detail (may be helpful if you're going to do the calibration procedure yourself): The SST (special service tool #09843-18040) specified in the service manual appears to be essentially a Y-shaped test lead and is variously called a "jumper wire" or "diagnostic check wire." It's used in this case to repeatedly connect and disconnect the chassis ground (CG, pin #4) and Ts (pin #14) terminals of the OBDII connector (referred to as DLC3 in Toyota-speak). The connection/disconnection sequence and timing are described in the service manual and in several TSBs. OBDII connector diagram and pin descriptions are in TSB BR005-03.

Since the OBDII connector is at the lower edge of the dash and pointing down (right above your left foot when you're sitting in the driver's seat) it's rather tough to reach in and do the shorting to the appropriate terminals of the OBDII connector with a test lead. Especially since you're supposed to avoid moving or shaking the vehicle when you're doing this. BTW, the OBDII connector usually has a black snap-on cover over it to keep out grit, etc.

Therefore I took a couple of pieces of insulated wire about 24" long each and taped them alongside each other, and stripped both ends. To make the wire fit securely in the (female) terminals of the OBDII connector I soldered a 3/8" length of metal (cut from a heavy paper clip) to one end of each of the wires. I chose a pin size so that would fit securely in the female terminals of the OBDII connector but wouldn't distort them. I used some heat shrink tubing around the solder joint to reduce any chance of accidental shorting.

After plugging the two pins into the OBDII connector (with the other ends held apart) I was able to hold the other ends of the two wires in my hands and touch them together at the appropriate times to connect the pins of the OBDII connector. I had a helper in the passenger seat to read the instructions from the TSB to me in sequence.

This is not very hard to do, and one need only be careful. It's easier to do with the Toyota OBDII tester, of course, and would only take 5 minutes. You might be able to get your dealer to do it gratis, but you might also be charged some minimum labor hour rate.

BTW #1: Doing the sulfur TSB or others that require the replacement or reprogramming of the engine computer or the VSC computer will also require this calibration.

BTW #2: I verified that when the lights are on the VSC and traction control are indeed inoperative. ABS is working, though.

BTW #3: Shorting other pins (such as #13 Tc) at the right time can cause the appropriate dash indicators to blink in sequence to reveal trouble codes other than the OBDII ones. A generic OBDII code reader won't give you this data, and you need the service manual (physical or online) to make sense of it. I believe there is a specific code to tell you that the zero point calibration data has been lost, but I didn't look for it.
Old 11-23-10, 05:40 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm having this problem right now!
Old 12-05-10, 09:15 AM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there an easier way than this? I tried to follow the directions and it didn't work.
Old 06-07-12, 03:40 PM
Vinniety
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am going nuts over this. I have read the instructions on how to reset the vsc light which i have on my 2003 gx 470 but the issue is my obd scan port under the dash doesnt have anything in location TS number 14. Which ones do i need to jump to follow the process of reseting my vsg lights ?
Old 06-26-12, 03:44 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I believe you are suppose to jump TC and E1 on the DLC under the hood to retrieve ABS codes. But dont quote me.
Old 06-26-12, 04:32 PM
Vinniety
Driver

Well to update my request I jumped the fifth port on the top line counting from left to right and the forth position on the bottom counting from left to right and followed some instructions I got from the Toyota four runner site explaining the steps and bang the vsc lights have been reset. A month of daily driving and it worked out great.
Old 10-24-12, 07:34 PM
iancoletx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by peafarmer
OK, I think that I have found the answer to what was confusing me. It seems that the spec has been updated since 2003, so the pin that used to be TS is now CANL. Also, new obdii checkers try to interface using the most up to date spec that they can, so the "newer" scan tools seem to cause this problem by attempting to communicate over the CAN pins. See this post by MicaBlue03 on the 4Runner board. So, can you get obdii testers that know what vintage your car is so that this mismatch does not occur?

MicaBlue03 post:

If you suddenly have the "VSC TRAC" and "VSC OFF" lights in your dash, this post may help you fix the problem yourself. The information here applies to 4th gen 4Runners that use the ISO protocol rather than the newer CAN protocol for their OBDII interfaces to code readers, ECU programmers, hand-held testers, etc. The OBDII interface includes several different protocols (methods of digital communication) and they all use the same physical connector, though with some different pins. The connector is located at the bottom of the dash on the driver's side and in the 4Runner it's covered by a small black cap.

4Runners switched from ISO to CAN around 2005 though this information may also apply to newer 4Runners with some modification. That is, newer 4Runners may display trouble codes and reset sensor calibration values in response to the connection of different (than earlier 4Runners) pins together than the ones described below.

Several posters have discussed similar problems, described in several different threads. I'm reluctantly starting a new one, with a more specific title (including the exact name of the two trouble indicator lights), in the hope that searchers will more easily find a solution.

The specific behavior: On startup, the "VSC TRAC" and "VSC OFF" lights come on and stay on. The ABS light may or may not come on. On subsequent starts the lights will come on temporarily as usual (as a bulb check) and then go off. They come on again and stay on as soon as the 4Runner is moved. The "check engine" light does not come on. This behavior begins after the vehicle has been hooked to some sort of OBDII code reader or engine tester or data logger, etc. Though the lights are on, no standard OBDII problem codes are detected by a regular code reader.

Cause: The code reader or other OBDII device has attempted to communicate with the 4Runner using the CAN protocol (involving pin #14) and this has caused the 4Runner to erase the "zero point calibration" numbers in its memory. Without these numbers it can't get accurate information from the yaw rate and deceleration sensors (in the center console near the gearshift) and so it disables traction and stability control functions.

The fix: Perform the "zero point calibration" procedure as described in TSB BR001-04. This procedure can be performed without special equipment such as a hand-held tester or OBDII reader. You only need the equivalent of a jumper wire to short together two pins of the OBDII connector at the right time and the right number of times between switching the 4Runner on and off. More detail is included below, leveraged from my other posts.

Why this doesn't happen every time a code reader is used: The code readers usually use the pins and protocol of the OBDII connector in a specific sequence, trying first to establish communication with the vehicle using the oldest protocol. They then try the pins and protocol of newer protocol standards. Usually the code reader would be successful in its first try at establishing contact with the 4Runner using the ISO 9141-2 protocol, and there would be no problem. However these communications schemes are not foolproof and occasionally the ISO protocol attempt fails. Then the code reader tries newer protocols including CAN (controller area network). It's this CAN attempt, which toggles pin #14 (the CAN data pin) that accidentally tells the 4Runner to erase the existing zero point calibration data. Since the 4Runner (this vintage anyway) can't communicate by CAN protocol the tester re-tries the older protocols again and eventually succeeds in setting up communication by the right ISO protocol. But by then the calibration data has been erased.

The calibration, by the way, is simply a matter of telling the 4Runner VSC/TRAC computer "your yaw rate and deceleration rate are currently zero" and to save the associated values. Then the output from the sensors can be interpreted correctly.

Detail (may be helpful if you're going to do the calibration procedure yourself): The SST (special service tool #09843-18040) specified in the service manual appears to be essentially a Y-shaped test lead and is variously called a "jumper wire" or "diagnostic check wire." It's used in this case to repeatedly connect and disconnect the chassis ground (CG, pin #4) and Ts (pin #14) terminals of the OBDII connector (referred to as DLC3 in Toyota-speak). The connection/disconnection sequence and timing are described in the service manual and in several TSBs. OBDII connector diagram and pin descriptions are in TSB BR005-03.

Since the OBDII connector is at the lower edge of the dash and pointing down (right above your left foot when you're sitting in the driver's seat) it's rather tough to reach in and do the shorting to the appropriate terminals of the OBDII connector with a test lead. Especially since you're supposed to avoid moving or shaking the vehicle when you're doing this. BTW, the OBDII connector usually has a black snap-on cover over it to keep out grit, etc.

Therefore I took a couple of pieces of insulated wire about 24" long each and taped them alongside each other, and stripped both ends. To make the wire fit securely in the (female) terminals of the OBDII connector I soldered a 3/8" length of metal (cut from a heavy paper clip) to one end of each of the wires. I chose a pin size so that would fit securely in the female terminals of the OBDII connector but wouldn't distort them. I used some heat shrink tubing around the solder joint to reduce any chance of accidental shorting.

After plugging the two pins into the OBDII connector (with the other ends held apart) I was able to hold the other ends of the two wires in my hands and touch them together at the appropriate times to connect the pins of the OBDII connector. I had a helper in the passenger seat to read the instructions from the TSB to me in sequence.

This is not very hard to do, and one need only be careful. It's easier to do with the Toyota OBDII tester, of course, and would only take 5 minutes. You might be able to get your dealer to do it gratis, but you might also be charged some minimum labor hour rate.

BTW #1: Doing the sulfur TSB or others that require the replacement or reprogramming of the engine computer or the VSC computer will also require this calibration.

BTW #2: I verified that when the lights are on the VSC and traction control are indeed inoperative. ABS is working, though.

BTW #3: Shorting other pins (such as #13 Tc) at the right time can cause the appropriate dash indicators to blink in sequence to reveal trouble codes other than the OBDII ones. A generic OBDII code reader won't give you this data, and you need the service manual (physical or online) to make sense of it. I believe there is a specific code to tell you that the zero point calibration data has been lost, but I didn't look for it.
I registered to say thank you so much for this post. There were similar descriptions elsewhere on the internet, and yours was a.) by far the most thorough and b.) the only one that specifically referenced terminals 4 and 14 on 4th-gen 4runners. I had exactly these symptoms, followed the procedure, and the lights were cleared. Cheers and thank you again.
Old 07-08-18, 09:57 PM
KISMETSDAD
7th Gear

I couldn't find an accurate PIN out location for CG and TS. I have a 2001 LS430 and am posting a few pages from the Factory Service Manual. CG is 4. TS is on 14 on the 2001 LS430 per Lexus manual. (see pages). Sorry about the poor quality of scans, but Reset is well described above once you identify the correct pin locations. (Many of the online write-ups for Toyota advise Pin 4 & 12)

TS and CG on DSC3

2001 LS430 DSC3
Old 05-09-19, 06:20 PM
pjlee42
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info,
TS - CG helps to reset the VSC Off light.
2001 LS430 VSC Off light on after reading Check Engine Light.
Old 03-28-20, 07:06 AM
stuckincal
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Find level surface with front wheels straight

2. Disconnect +/- battery cables for 5 or more minutes

3. Reconnect +/- battery cables

4. insert L-bent paperclips, one into into CS & one into TS port in OBDII

5. Touch together 4 or more times within 8 seconds

6. Insert ignition key and turn ignition on, not start

7. Touch paperclips together 6 or more times with ignition on, not started

8. Turn ignition key off

9. Hold paperclips together and turn ignition on, not start
9-a. wait for ABS/VSC/SLIP lights to start flashing, wait 10 or more seconds further

10. Turn off ignition key

11. Remove paperclips

12. Turn ignition key on

13. Drive straight and level at 25+ mph for 10 seconds or more holding wheel straight without turning or bumping

***For window reset: Hold window button in down position after window all the way down for at least 3 seconds, then hold up on window button after window is up for at least 3 seconds.

Volia!! Complete re-calibration!!