Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Fuel Injector Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-02, 09:30 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Injector Cleaner

With the required detergent additives in gasolines these days, are separate Fuel Injector Cleaners necessary anymore? Do they help at all? I was about to pick up a bottle of Chevron w/Techron fuel injector cleaner, but the text on the back seemed to indicate I would only benefit if my fuel injectors were in severe service. They even mentioned that with the required additives in gasolines starting from 199x (forgot the year), fuel injectors are no longer much of a problem.
Old 06-16-02, 02:50 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this for your 02ES? How many miles do you have on it? If less then 10k or so then you can skip it since its a fairly new car and most likely your fuel injectors are still clean and in good condition unless you have been putting in really cheap/*****y gas :eek: :eek: It wouldn't hurt or do damage though by using it and yes Chevron w/Techron is the best fuel injector cleaner on the market by far! No matter what additives the gas has the fuel injectors still can get clogged up so I personally would put a bottle in just for the hell of it.
Old 06-16-02, 03:05 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

I posed a similar question a while back and didn’t get many responses. I picked up some STP in the black bottle because it was on sale, but I haven’t put it in yet.

SharpLexusLS400,
You say that the Chevron is the best, is there somewhere online I could get some reviews? I don’t even know if I can get the Chevron around here, but I’d rather go without if it’s gonna hurt my car.

Overclocker
Old 06-16-02, 03:24 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people view the injector cleaners as a waste of time and money. The bimmers got me going on additive as it is very noticeable on a bimmer when the injectors clog. Bimmer sold their own additive which was pricey and required a trip to the bimmer dealer to buy. There are several good ones out there but the one I like is Red Line Fuel Injector cleaner (I think the Part no. is S1). The nice thing about it is you put a bottle in to clean things up and then can go to a reduced amount (the bottle is marked off in 10 gal increments) for a while. Every three or four thousand miles repeat the full bottle treatment. Pep Boys out here carries it and I think a lot of auto parts stores do. I found this to perform the same as the bimmer additive and it was a fair amount less expensive. You could tell the injectors on the bimmers were getting bad at idle, it would start to get rougher. There are several good cleaners out there and I know Techron gets a lot of rave reviews but I have never had noticeable results with it. I haven't torn an engine down, just go by the roughness at idle. I have gotten used to using the Red Line so I have used it for all the gas in my GS and have my wife using it in her Maxima as well. Can't really say that the GS ever gets a rough idle, at least not yet.
Old 06-16-02, 03:29 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Default It's well known in the industry!

Not sure if there is any web page that does a comparison/rating on them but its very well known that Chevron w/Techron is the best fuel injector cleaner in the industry/market! Ask any good mechanic or fuel injector cleaner/shop and he will agree. If he says they are all the same then I wouldn't let him touch my car!

You can purchase it anywhere like Autozone, Wallmart, Kmart etc. Like 6 bucks for a bottle. Make sure its says "WITH TECHRON"!!!!!!!!!!

At my local Costco they have a great deal on it, 4 bottles for $10
I would try Costco first if your a member and you want to save a couple of dollara. You can't go wrong. I add a bottle every 6k miles when I fill up. Basically every other oil change.
Old 06-16-02, 07:01 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

SharpLexusLs400,

Thanks for the quick reply and good info, I'll look into it.

Now, does anybody know of any sites with info on this? I love to research before I buy.

Overclocker
Old 06-16-02, 07:56 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

http://www.redlineoil.com/products.htm

That is for the Red Line. Darn, still don't have the hang of embedding a link. Just cut and paste.
Old 06-16-02, 07:57 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Guess I got the hang of it without knowing it.
Old 06-16-02, 09:05 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Here is a link on the Chevron with Techron

Hope that helps a bit.

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/nafl...ntent/faq.shtm
Old 06-16-02, 11:37 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Default Here is some more info

Also

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuel...cesstaxi.shtml

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuel...cessbig3.shtml

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuel...nderhood.shtml
Old 06-17-02, 02:06 AM
kreativ
Advanced

At my local Costco they have a great deal on it, 4 bottles for $10
I would try Costco first if your a member and you want to save a couple of dollara. You can't go wrong. I add a bottle every 6k miles when I fill up. Basically every other oil change.
Yup, Costco sure does. I just saw it there today. At $2.50 per treatment, I figured why not.
They have the Chevron Progard w/Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner (1 out of the 4 in Progard line). I believe the Chevron Techron concentrate is the most expensive one. Not sure how much Progard Fuel Injector Cleaner is at Pep Boys, Kragen, etc. Anyone know?

Last edited by kreativ; 06-17-02 at 02:07 AM.
Old 06-17-02, 12:34 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

I think its $6 for a bottle or somewhere in that neighborhood at the local stores.
Old 06-17-02, 01:04 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

There's at least a couple of different Techrons. Haven't really spent a lot of time checking out the differences I assume the difference is concentration and obviously, the more concentrated, the more expensive. Need to make sure we are all talking apples and apples here.
Old 06-17-02, 02:32 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Here are the differences,

TECHRONS :

There is:
1)Techron concentrate for about $5.99 (This is what I am referring to- Best)

2)ProGuard for about $2.99

3)ProGuard something else for about $3.99

4)ProGuard Plus with special valve cleaner $4.99

5)There was a 5th which I can't recall exactly which had the same name but a different shape bottle.
Old 06-17-02, 04:01 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Hmm, in that case, the Costco deal isn't that special then....about 50 cents cheaper per bottle, but you're buying 4 at a time (assuming the ProGuard fuel injector cleaner is the $2.99 one you listed)

Last edited by kreativ; 06-17-02 at 04:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Cleaner